Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

12 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Him being a favorite of the donor class doesn't really help that argument but so far he's the only one actively messaging "holy shit the olds are trying to kill us all maybe we should stop them?" 

No, he's not.

What are you talking about?

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

holy small sample size, batman!

That's what you're going to go with on this? OK

i would have to go back and read up, or defer to someone who heard it more recently, but i believe his "medicare for those who want it" is part of a plan to let some people keep the healthcare they get thru their jobs, if they like it.  not everyone would have to switch to a new system, that it would be a hybrid in its transition.  it's all part of his "we're entering into a new era where people will change jobs/careers way more than our parents did".  i don't believe the intent was racially charged, but hey, why not throw that in there for kicks?

I never said his healthcare talk is racial, I said it's all things to all people. If you believe in single-payer, he's got a little rhetoric for you. If you like private healthcare, he's got a little rhetoric for you. Lots of rhetoric from the McKinsey-trained Rhodes Scholar sending frissons of pleasure up the spines of white liberals.

and i understand the conflict of interest with bringing mayor pete into some of those meetings, but he's not super-pro-hillary by any stretch.  he's all about fixing this country.  any dem should want him in those rooms over some of the other self-interests hanging around.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what rationalization looks like.

This guy ran for DNC chair at 34. He's running for president at 37. This is a powerfully ambitious climber.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

No, he's not.

What are you talking about?

That's what you're going to go with on this? OK

I never said his healthcare talk is racial, I said it's all things to all people. If you believe in single-payer, he's got a little rhetoric for you. If you like private healthcare, he's got a little rhetoric for you. Lots of rhetoric from the McKinsey-trained Rhodes Scholar sending frissons of pleasure up the spines of white liberals.

This guy ran for DNC chair at 34. He's running for president at 37. This is a powerfully ambitious climber.

dude, you really need to stop being so defensive, and recognize when people are actually trying to have a real conversation with you.  not everything is a fight.

unfortunately, it's literally people exactly like you that has the dnc shitting their pants right now.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

no, it isn't.  if you convinced yourself that i was right, that's likely what rationalization looks like.  learn what words mean, then use them, not the other way around.

i'm trying to combat the idea that having him in those conversations is "no fair (whine) they're trying to package him against my man bernie."  what i'm saying is that the people in those rooms have a serious axe to grind from the hillary situation.  the more people in there who weren't burned by that, the better it is for you and people like you.

6 minutes ago, tucker said:

I don't see why any Dem would go on fox news. It only enables that channel. All D candidates should collectively refuse.

Acting like a grown adult and not shying away from the entire voting electorate is the right move.  Fox viewers might not like the policies, but they'll at least respect the effort to reach out to them. 

Bernie did a good job, and I expect Pete will too. 

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Acting like a grown adult and not shying away from the entire voting electorate is the right move.  Fox viewers might not like the policies, but they'll at least respect the effort to reach out to them. 

It isn't about respecting the voters but punishing a dishonest media company. When a media company will shameless push propaganda 24/7 for one party and demonize the other, it only legitimizes their platform by any D participating.

A viewer of Fox news who consumes hundreds if not thousand hours of bias anti-D news is highly unlikely to be convinced by an hour broadcast where D candidate is interviewed. 

Edited by tucker

12 minutes ago, tucker said:

I don't see why any Dem would go on fox news. It only enables that channel. All D candidates should collectively refuse.

i think it shows a little bit of faith in the american people, that not everyone who watches fox news is a brainwashed zombie.  pete's not a particularly polarizing guy (despite some of what you read here).  i think he has the type of message that can reach conservatives who may not love what's going on in washington right now.

also, any town hall, even one on fox news, will attract a mixed crowd, which is different than just going on one of their shows and getting grilled by some nutcase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

i think it shows a little bit of faith in the american people, that not everyone who watches fox news is a brainwashed zombie.  pete's not a particularly polarizing guy (despite some of what you read here).  i think he has the type of message that can reach conservatives who may not love what's going on in washington right now.

also, any town hall, even one on fox news, will attract a mixed crowd, which is different than just going on one of their shows and getting grilled by some nutcase.

See my response to HK.

D need to punish Fox news.

4 minutes ago, tucker said:

It isn't about respecting the voters but punishing a dishonest media company. When a media company will shameless push propaganda 24/7 for one party and demonize the other, it only legitimizes their platform by any D participating.

A view of Fox news who sees hundreds if not thousand hours of bias anti-D news is highly unlikely to be convinced by an hour broadcast where D candidate is interviewed. 

I don't want a Presidential candidate to boycott Fox News as "punishment" for being a dishonest media company.   What kind of precedent is that setting for the future? 

Leave the hysterics to the #Resistance.  Time to face this cluster fuck head on. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I don't want a Presidential candidate to boycott Fox News as "punishment" for being a dishonest media company.   What kind of precedent is that setting for the future? 

Leave the hysterics to the #Resistance.  Time to face this cluster fuck head on. 

It curtails Fox news bad actions, because it hits their viewership #s and ultimately profitability. It is the only way to change their behavior as they clearly do not care about fixing the cluster fuck and actively support it.

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Why? What do those people even matter?

that article seemed to illustrate that there are closed-door meetings, led largely by former hillary supporters, who are doing anything they can to fight bernie as a potential nominee.  seems as though some in those rooms are acting out of personal spite, and the more level-headed/non-hillary-related people in there, the better for everyone, especially bernie supporters.

articles like that even coming out are bad for the party.

Edited by henrygandorf

1 minute ago, tucker said:

It curtails Fox news bad actions, because it hits their viewership #s and ultimately profitability. It is the only way to change their behavior as they clearly do not care about fixing the cluster fuck and actively support it.

Fox has every right to be as shitty as they are. Having presidential candidates set a precedent by boycotting speech they don't like is super counterproductive. 

You're still in the anger phase. That's ok. But the plane has already crashed into the goddamn mountain. Now we have to do something about it. And the answer isn't to completely give up on every single person that voted for Trump in 2016. 

I'll say it right now. Any Presidential candidate that fights as the #Resistance will not win in 2020. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

that article seemed to illustrate that there are closed-door meetings, led largely by former hillary supporters, who are doing anything they can to fight bernie as a potential nominee.  seems as though some in those rooms are acting out of personal spite, and there more level-headed/non-hillary-related people in there, the better for everyone, especially bernie supporters.

These soirees are not for normal Hillary voters, they're for the donor class that Hillary was the champion of for decades. The bundlers and executives and trusts and foundation heads. It doesn't do Bernie/Bernie supporters any good for Pete to be there. Even if he was there to calm them down and promote unity, who cares? To what end? We want this fight. This is the fight that matters right now.

And be honest with yourself here. Pete was there to sell himself as a bridge between the donor class and the progressives. A little something for everyone. That's explicitly how he was sold for the DNC job 2 years ago.

Yet Democrats here were quick to heap praise on the mayor, pointing to a stacked and diverse background and resume: He is a gay, Harvard-educated Rhodes Scholar, a Navy veteran, and an accomplished pianist.

But particularly, many Democrats noted his ability to transcend the rift between the establishment and the ascendant progressive wing of the party.

articles like that even coming out are bad for the party.

If by 'the party' you mean 'the party establishment' then I agree, and I think that's good.

If by 'the party' you mean 'workers and citizens who are liberal' then I disagree completely.

16 minutes ago, LonghornJudas said:

Good move, IMHO. There are a lot of viewers who will be impressed and open to someone like Pete. Yang as well...

Yang has already been on Fox multiple times

2 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If by 'the party' you mean 'the party establishment' then I agree, and I think that's good.

If by 'the party' you mean 'workers and citizens who are liberal' then I disagree completely.

i think, generally, the "us against the world" mentality that bernie bros love could potentially be dangerous in 2020.  if bernie wins the nomination, everyone needs to fall in line, republican stylez.  i think articles like this are designed to splinter.  anything that splinters is good for bernie in the short term, and good for trump in the long term. 

just my opinion.  it's a long time until next november.

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

No comment, Hank, regarding Mayor Pete attending these anti-Bernie dinners hosted by Bernard Schwartz?  

What was said at the dinner Buttigieg attended? Was it about how to take Bernie down? Saying he was in attendance of function hosted by people that don't like Bernie isn't some smoking gun. 

Pete wrote an essay about Bernie in 2000 about how much he respected him. This was before any of us really knew much about Sanders. He has also been very critical of the Democratic Party's strategy over the last 30-40 years and is hated by Hillary diehards because he spoke some hard truths. Buttigieg also states that he is a progressive, though it's clear he's not equal to Bernie in that regard. Is that the required standard?

Everyone is trying to pin Mayor Pete down to a particular label, and the past/present doesn't fully align with the hysterical accusations. Maybe something sinister will come out, but none of this shit is sticking and it shouldn't. 

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

He's a calming, rational presence in a shit storm of complete and utter nonsense from the right.  The first term of the next president will be spent mainly fixing all the shit the dotard has destroyed and getting back our standing in the world.  I think Pete would do a great job at getting that started.

Just wait until the GOP goes back to being the party that obstructs everything. 

Then again, just holding serve and attempting to unfuck things will be progress. 

24 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Fox has every right to be as shitty as they are. Having presidential candidates set a precedent by boycotting speech they don't like is super counterproductive. 

You're still in the anger phase. That's ok. But the plane has already crashed into the goddamn mountain. Now we have to do something about it. And the answer isn't to completely give up on every single person that voted for Trump in 2016. 

I'll say it right now. Any Presidential candidate that fights as the #Resistance will not win in 2020. 

Agree with this.  Bernie did great with his town hall amongst a presumably mixed crowd.  He kinda set the tone early by telling the fox douches that he'd give fair answers to fair questions because it was clear that they were trying to label him a hypocrite for being a millionaire. 

And you gotta believe that not all people who watch fox news are full-on trumpists.  Wives of trumpist husbands that control the remote, people on a treadmill at a gym, people stuck in front of a tv while visiting their relatives... those are all potential flip voters.  The democrats have to prioritize reaching as many voters as possible over trying to punish Fox for their propaganda.  At least until the election.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

What was said at the dinner Buttigieg attended? Was it about how to take Bernie down? Saying he was in attendance of function hosted by people that don't like Bernie isn't some smoking gun. 

Pete wrote an essay about Bernie in 2000 about how much he respected him. This was before any of us really knew much about Sanders. He has also been very critical of the Democratic Party's strategy over the last 30-40 years and is hated by Hillary diehards because he spoke some hard truths. Buttigieg also states that he is a progressive, though it's clear he's not equal to Bernie in that regard. Is that the required standard?

Everyone is trying to pin Mayor Pete down to a particular label, and the past/present doesn't fully align with the hysterical accusations. Maybe something sinister will come out, but none of this shit is sticking and it shouldn't. 

The discussion about Mr. Sanders has to date been largely confined to private settings because — like establishment Republicans in 2016 — Democrats are uneasy about elevating him or alienating his supporters.

The matter of What To Do About Bernie and the larger imperative of party unity has, for example, hovered over a series of previously undisclosed Democratic dinners in New York and Washington organized by the longtime party financier Bernard Schwartz. The gatherings have included scores from the moderate or center-left wing of the party, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi; Senator Chuck Schumer, the minority leader; former Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., himself a presidential candidate; and the president of the Center for American Progress, Neera Tanden.

So he's attending private dinners along with Pelosi, Schumer and, of all people, Neera Tanden, to discuss how Bernie must be stopped.  It's obvious that these three people want nothing to do with Bernie's policies, and Neera's organization has already run hits against Bernie.  Why do you think Mayor Pete is there?  Does he not share their values and their policy preferences?

2 minutes ago, Todd Gack said:

Agree with this.  Bernie did great with his town hall amongst a presumably mixed crowd.  He kinda set the tone early by telling the fox douches that he'd give fair answers to fair questions because it was clear that they were trying to label him a hypocrite for being a millionaire. 

And you gotta believe that not all people who watch fox news are full-on trumpists.  Wives of trumpist husbands that control the remote, people on a treadmill at a gym, people stuck in front of a tv while visiting their relatives... those are all potential flip voters.  The democrats have to prioritize reaching as many voters as possible over trying to punish Fox for their propaganda.  At least until the election.

especially for someone like pete, who's a relative unknown.

going into 2016, plenty of people said, "i already know hillary, and i know i don't like her.  i didn't like her husband either."  that's a lot of decisions made before you start to think whether trump was an appropriate alternative.

now trump is known.  it would make me happy if every democrat said yes to every town hall, interview, or news segment.  bernie is setting a great example - yang is too - and everyone else should follow along.

Just now, Fozzz said:

So he's attending private dinners along with Pelosi, Schumer and, of all people, Neera Tanden, to discuss how Bernie must be stopped.  It's obvious that these three people want nothing to do with Bernie's policies, and Neera's organization has already run hits against Bernie.  Why do you think Mayor Pete is there?  Does he not share their values and their policy preferences?

He's attended multiple dinners? Link? 

The event he attended was all about how Bernie Sanders must be stopped? Link? 

For a guy who rightly deprioritized the RUSSIA! scandal, you sure love to wear the tin foil hat when it comes to Buttigieg. 

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Pete should bring Chasten with him to the town hall and just spend the entire hour making out with him, super hard and get all handsy. Make the Fox audience and anchors just sit there and watch. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i think, generally, the "us against the world" mentality that bernie bros love could potentially be dangerous in 2020.

The donor class that holds so much power in the Democratic establishment is not "the world". It's the opposite of that.

Voters don't like the donor class, which is a tiny group of unlikable people. Voters do not care if the donor class hates Bernie. In fact, if you were to talk to an average independent and say, "A billionaire hedge fund manager who loves to hold black tie dinners with smiling politicians hates Bernie Sanders", your average independent voter will like Bernie more.

Bernie has over 500,000 individual contributors to his campaign and over 1 million volunteers. He has more individual contributors than the next 3 contenders combined. He's got a grassroots-organized event scheduled in Senegal. If you're in Morocco on April 27th you can go to a Bernie meet-up. In terms of human beings and voters, Bernie's base of support IS "the world".

The Neera Tandens and Bernard Schwartzs are microscopic in number and completely irrelevant to 99.9999% of American voters. There is literally zero need to appease or placate them.

DB3VgAXUQAA9OgJ.jpg

He's attended multiple dinners? Link? 

The event he attended was all about how Bernie Sanders must be stopped? Link? 

For a guy who rightly deprioritized the RUSSIA! scandal, you sure love to wear the tin foil hat when it comes to Buttigieg. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-party.html

I guess it's possible he only intended one of these dinners, and not multiple dinners.  I also don't know what food was served, or if that has any bearing on Mayor Pete being an obvious fraud.  

7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The donor class that holds so much power in the Democratic establishment is not "the world". It's the opposite of that.

Voters don't like the donor class, which is a tiny group of unlikable people. Voters do not care if the donor class hates Bernie. In fact, if you were to talk to an average independent and say, "A billionaire hedge fund manager who loves to hold black tie dinners with smiling politicians hates Bernie Sanders", your average independent voter will like Bernie more.

Bernie has over 500,000 individual contributors to his campaign and over 1 million volunteers. He has more individual contributors than the next 3 contenders combined. He's got a grassroots-organized event scheduled in Senegal. If you're in Morocco on April 27th you can go to a Bernie meet-up. In terms of human beings and voters, Bernie's base of support IS "the world".

The Neera Tandens and Bernard Schwartzs are microscopic in number and completely irrelevant to 99.9999% of American voters. There is literally zero need to appease or placate them.

DB3VgAXUQAA9OgJ.jpg

nope, i didn't mean donors, and you knew that.  but i appreciate the propoganda.  have a good day.

I don't think Pete was there to stab Bernie in the back or defend Bernie. I think Pete was there to further his own political ambitions among power brokers within a certain wing of his party, which is normal for many politicians, especially those with a very low profile and very high ambitions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-party.html

I guess it's possible he only intended one of these dinners, and not multiple dinners.  I also don't know what food was served, or if that has any bearing on Mayor Pete being an obvious fraud.  

i love all the people that feel the obligation, nay, duty, to rush over to this thread to let everyone here know what they feel is "obvious".

This is quite a revealing piece regarding Mayor Pete's record as mayor of South Bend.  

Even his local critics acknowledge that Buttigieg never set out to design policies that impose disproportionate harm on South Bend’s poor and minority populations. The problem is not a lack of personal compassion. It is that he applied the same management thinking, and the same trust in existing systems, to nearly every problem he addressed. 

“It’s not that there was an intentional plot by this administration,” said Regina Williams-Preston, a South Bend Common Council member now running to replace Buttigieg as mayor. “They simply used the same tools for economic development they’ve been using for 50 years. But guess what? Those tools were developed intentionally to discriminate and marginalize and keep certain people out.”

The same distance between intention and action can be found elsewhere in Buttigieg’s record as mayor. Despite dozens of statements promoting diversity and inclusion, South Bend spends less than 1% of its procurement budget on minority-owned businesses. Buttigieg demoted the city’s first African American police chief over allegations that his own officers made racist statements about him on tape. A think tank hired to produce a report on the city’s racial wealth gap was specifically prohibited from issuing recommendations for addressing it. 

Buttigieg’s blind spot is also evident in his approach to homelessness. South Bend has just one shelter, with around 200 beds, for its homeless population of nearly 400. Though he convened a working group in 2017, Buttigieg’s primary solution to the problem has been arresting people sleeping under bridges and adding ”Do not give to panhandlers″ signs on downtown street corners.

“He boasts about how much he’s done on homelessness, but then he brings out the bulldozers,” Shafer said. 

In 2016, with references to the data-driven “housing first” approach, Buttigieg’s administration used a state grant to build 32 units of housing for drug dependent or mentally ill homeless people. Despite warnings from local advocates, however, the facility never hired enough security staff or social workers to get its residents stabilized. The result has been a housing complex that replicated many of the most dangerous aspects of living on the streets.

“The first overdose death happened within two months,” Shafer said. “You can’t just put homeless people into housing and forget about them.”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/pete-buttigieg-effective-mayor-blind-spot_n_5cb4c9bce4b0ffefe3b4d93b?2fo

McKinsey, but with compassion!

2 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Cool, thanks for the link to the one paragraph you've mentioned a couple of times already. 

"The matter of What To Do About Bernie and the larger imperative of party unity has, for example, hovered over a series of previously undisclosed Democratic dinners in New York and Washington organized by the longtime party financier Bernard Schwartz. The gatherings have included scores from the moderate or center-left wing of the party, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi; Senator Chuck Schumer, the minority leader; former Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., himself a presidential candidate; and the president of the Center for American Progress, Neera Tanden."

Newsflash: Pete Buttigieg is a Democrat. Always has been. He ran for the DNC chair because he wanted to change the direction/strategy of the party.  He's spent 27 of his 37 years on this planet in South Bend, Indiana.  Pretending that he's cut from the same cloth as Pelosi, Schumer, and Tanden is being disingenuous.

Apparently you can't be an agent of change unless you're yelling, verbally combative, or anti-Democratic party.  I respect Bernie Sanders. I will enthusiastically vote for him over Trump. But the purity test nonsense with Buttigieg coming from Bernie stans ain't gonna work. 

lol "party unity" to people like Pelosi and Tanden means ideological conformity.  It means going with the flow and not rocking the boat with Dem megadonors.  How does it further party unity for CAP to run attack ads on Bernie, a front runner for Dem nominee?  How does it further party unity for Pelosi to publicly scold Omar, AOC, etc.?  

Just now, Fozzz said:

lol "party unity" to people like Pelosi and Tanden means ideological conformity.  It means going with the flow and not rocking the boat with Dem megadonors.  How does it further party unity for CAP to run attack ads on Bernie, a front runner for Dem nominee?  How does it further party unity for Pelosi to publicly scold Omar, AOC, etc.?  

What does that have to do with Pete Buttigieg?

What does that have to do with Pete Buttigieg?

Why did you highlight "the larger imperative of party unity" from the article?  Clearly from the context of the article the dinners are not meant to heal divisions within the party, but are meant to stop someone who these radlibs are worried may move the party left.