Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

So he's NOT lying when he claims he didn't attack Pence's faith and trying to start a feud with him? Or is it just no OK to point that out?

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

So you down with mayor Pete or no?

I'll be very happy to vote for him over Trump. I think he's a better person than Mike Pence by 17 miles.

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

BT is team Pence on this issue. 

Pence is a lying, scheming, hateful piece of shit who is 100% right about the political calculus behind Pete's sudden crusade against Pence.

I'm not going to deny obvious reality just because I like Pete more than I like Pence.

Just now, henrygandorf said:

i bet you were hoping the use of the word "immediately" would confuse some people into not really looking at the timelines.  pete's been going after the vp for weeks/months.

Fair enough, but it's likely that Pence was too busy fucking horses to even notice for a while.

Buttigieg has had issues with VP for years. When Pence was Governor he signed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act which was a fucking disaster and an embarrassment for the state of Indiana. 

He' puts on an innocent face but is a religious bigot as an elected official. That's worse than just being openly bigoted at all times.  Pence is the worst kind of snake. Fuck him. 

• Like 1

i'm sure marvin the mind-reader over here can enlighten us all on exactly what pete is thinking, or what his exact intent is.

we've already been going around in circles over "attacking his faith" or "calling him a bad christian."  i've been saying from the beginning that he's simply pointing out that pence is a hypocrite, which he's totally qualified to assess, considering their long, working relationship.  and i'm not the only one who thinks this:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/pete-buttigieg-mayor-petes-strategy-for-beating-trump-is-to-target-fellow-hoosier-and-vice-president-mike-pence

Buttigieg called the move “very clever” on Trump’s part—and “very cynical” on Pence’s, whose decision to join forces with the Trump campaign, he said, was “just really breathtaking in its hypocrisy.”

“If he’s serious about his understanding of his faith, I would think that it would preclude joining forces with somebody like this president,” Buttigieg said. “When you see somebody who engages in sanctimony and has as rigid a view of religion as he does, only be willing to throw it out the window completely and get on board with a project that is an affront not only to my understanding of Christianity, but also to his own, that’s the kind of hypocrisy for which scripture reserves some of its very harshest words—the idea of professing faith but taking worldly steps that fly in the face of that faith for the purposes of gaining power.”

as for the specific topic raised on ellen, he's had chances to walk it back, and never has.  he always sidesteps and deflects.  i'm curious to see if he responds this time.

https://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/gov-mike-pence-religious-freedom-law-29987447

Starting a fight with someone who barely even knows you're there...

you mad?

awww, don't be so glum, sugar plum.  as soon as bernie does something politically shrewd i'll make sure to come back over to your little thread and rub your tummy and we can make this all better, ok lil buddy?  oh, and i'll leave my "you lying fuck" meme where it belongs.

enjoy #teampence

9 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

awww, don't be so glum, sugar plum.  as soon as bernie does something politically shrewd i'll make sure to come back over to your little thread and rub your tummy and we can make this all better, ok lil buddy?  oh, and i'll leave my "you lying fuck" meme where it belongs.

giphy.gif

enjoy #teampence

I would compare y'alls engagement in this shit to team sports, but I think it's even more shallow than that.

Pete made The Onion.  He’s in the big time now, what with going on Ellen and all.  

https://politics.theonion.com/lightning-bolt-blasts-washington-monument-as-mike-pence-1833978821

Peering into the darkened sky as 200-mph winds began to whip around them, several eyewitnesses confirmed Thursday that a lightning bolt blasted off the top of the Washington Monument while Mike Pence and Pete Buttigieg were locked in a battle of prayers on the National Mall. According to onlookers, the current vice president and mayor of South Bend, IN could be seen kneeling on the ground with their hands folded, deep in prayer, at which point Mike Pence whispered that “Mr. Buttigieg knows better than to question my faith,” causing the sky to turn black, the water in the Reflecting Pool to part, and the two men to slowly levitate several feet above the ground. As the temperature dropped and the earth burst open below them, witnesses confirmed that Buttigieg’s eyes turned red, and the presidential candidate shouted, “If you have a problem with me, you have a problem with my maker,” immediately flinging Mr. Pence backwards into the Vietnam War Memorial with an eruption of psychic energy. At press time, Pence and Buttigieg reportedly fused into a single, blindingly white light as countless angels swirled around them from the heavens, only to plummet back to the ground below and lay unconscious while the sky opened up, birds began to chirp, and daylight returned to normal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This article paints a little different account of the Pete/Pence relationship before Pence became VP.  It asserts they had a very good working relationship and Mayor Pete's stark criticism of Pence is more about political expediency.  

Spoiler

The complex dynamic between Buttigieg and Pence reflects a connection born of political necessity between two men on the cusp of unlikely political and personal paths. And to some fellow Indiana Democrats, it was frustrating.

In a state with few influential Democrats, some hoped to tap into Buttigieg’s burgeoning political celebrity to help them rebut Pence and his policies, according to two party strategists who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a sensitive internal debate. But they found he was often reluctant to take on the then-governor directly or forcefully.

In early 2015, Pence was grappling with an HIV outbreak in southern Indiana and facing calls from political leaders, including some fellow Republicans, to respond by approving a needle exchange program. Buttigieg, who was months away from publicly coming out as gay, was largely absent from that debate.

Pence caused a national uproar that year by signing a “religious freedom” law criticized as anti-LGBT. Republicans including the mayor of Indianapolis demanded that the governor and the GOP legislature “fix this law” and “do so immediately.” Buttigieg criticized Statehouse politicians for the “most embarrassing incident” and tweeted he was “disappointed” Pence signed the bill.

But several weeks later, as the controversy raged, Buttigieg attended a Pence event in South Bend. The mayor told the South Bend Tribune, “I’m focused on how we can work together across city limits and across the aisle.”

“With respect to Pence’s worst blunder, his most difficult controversy, Mayor Pete was not leading the charge against him,” said Robert Dion, a political science professor at the University of Evansville in southern Indiana. “If you’re a Democratic mayor in a Republican state and you rely on friendly relations with the General Assembly, you don’t necessarily want to be lobbing bombs all the time. But that should not preclude someone from speaking out forcefully on a pressing civil rights issue.”

Sometimes I forget how much I hate Mike Pence. Granted, I did vote for him because the Glorious Leader Bernie Sanders told me to, so that we could defeat the evil witch who betrayed the Glorious Leader, but I still don't like Pence. Hopefully I don't have to vote for him a second time. 

40 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This article paints a little different account of the Pete/Pence relationship before Pence became VP.  It asserts they had a very good working relationship and Mayor Pete's stark criticism of Pence is more about political expediency.   

Plus, Pete's gay.

16 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

this is only like the 4th worst human rights violation that's happened today and it's not even noon here yet.

trump made hay by rallying his base to win the election.  it was perfect timing for him to do that then.  but in an election cycle, people have to be telling him it may not work the same this time around, but clearly he's doubling (and tripling, etc) down on this shit.  i think it's gonna be an interesting wake up call when he sees what his base looks like in 19 months.

pete is hammering pence (and him) on discrimination.  beto (and kamala and castro) should be hammering him on immigration and trying to start a literal war at our borders.  he's essentially got a talk show host and a 31 year old nazi running his policy right now.

i'm not gonna make this a trump thread.  but there are 19 candidates on the dem side, and they should all be chipping away every day on this garbage.  that's the only way this thing gets done.  #thegreatergood

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

this is only like the 4th worst human rights violation that's happened today and it's not even noon here yet.

trump made hay by rallying his base to win the election.  it was perfect timing for him to do that then.  but in an election cycle, people have to be telling him it may not work the same this time around, but clearly he's doubling (and tripling, etc) down on this shit.  i think it's gonna be an interesting wake up call when he sees what his base looks like in 19 months.

pete is hammering pence (and him) on discrimination.  beto (and kamala and castro) should be hammering him on immigration and trying to start a literal war at our borders.  he's essentially got a talk show host and a 31 year old nazi running his policy right now.

i'm not gonna make this a trump thread.  but there are 19 candidates on the dem side, and they should all be chipping away every day on this garbage.  that's the only way this thing gets done.  #thegreatergood

That strategy is very, very sound.....so long as one thing is true: decent people outnumber awful people.

If that assumption is incorrect.....it's a losing strategy, and Trump wins re-election.

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That strategy is very, very sound.....so long as one thing is true: decent people outnumber awful people.

If that assumption is incorrect.....it's a losing strategy, and Trump wins re-election.

i'll actually do you one better, and say that most people are not decent.  they're not awful either.  but what we absolutely know they are - is impressionable as shit.

19 strong voices making a lot of noise and a lot of good points can get this done.

if we concede that 2016 was not just about voting for someone, but also voting against someone, then that's a pretty easy adjustment to make.  there are gonna be plenty of people voting against someone next year, but not quite in the same way.

44 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

Mayor Pete’s statement re Ilhan was as pathetic as Pelosi’s. Probably because he too is a coward who disagrees with Ilhan fundamentally on the US’ role in supporting an apartheid ethnostate. 

Well, yeah.

He's running a campaign. He had to write a vague TV speech and then mention his own BRAVE SOLDIER SERVICE before finally getting around to talking about the actual person who is under constant threat from right-wing terrorists.

*Yellowstone caldera explodes, killing millions*

President Pete: "I didn't march through the Afghan desert covered in machine guns for a cowardly volcano to..."

Chelsea Clinton, of all people, had a better response.  This guy is just such an obvious phony.

Ilhan so clearly illustrates the bipartisan machinery that exists to stamp out any dissenting opinion on this issue. If you can’t at least have her back then you are clearly no serious force for change, regardless of whatever other supposedly radical positions you support. 

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

Mayor Pete’s statement re Ilhan was as pathetic as Pelosi’s. Probably because he too is a coward who disagrees with Ilhan fundamentally on the US’ role in supporting an apartheid ethnostate. 

Meanwhile, I haven’t see any statement from Tulsi Gabbard. Maybe I missed it.

Pence and the religous right should be hounded and mocked for their hypocrisy. Of course it's not going to change the minds of Trump/Pence supporters, they are irreversibly fucktarded. Who fucking cares.  Trumps base, while sizeable, is not growing.

The goal should be to get the undecided( probably a small group these days) and people that traditionally don't participate in the electoral process (a much larger number) to the polls and vote against the shitstain currently in office. The midterms were evidence that the numbers are there. Exposing the hypocritical right for shoving their religous bullshit down our throats is one way to do that. 

I won't begin to make up my mind on a dem candidate until we are much closer to the election, because I want to observe the contenders and how they handle the inevitable shitshow that will be the nomination process. One thing is for certain, if Buttigieg does win the nomination it will force a huge debate on religion in ways that this country has not seen. I dont care how much Pence praised Buttigieg when he came out, he will be forced to defend his views that Pete is living in sin, should not be able to legally be married, and would be better off in gay conversion therapy. I doubt that's a discussion the GOP will relish. They will lose voters in the aggregate.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Mobile Twitter links don’t embed.

You need to paste the link from the Twitter app or the full website.

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Or just delete "mobile." from the url you're pasting. 

chris-pratt-gif-1.gif

13 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

This guy just messes with my brain. I don't get it.

pete does, or podhoretz?

because one is worth your time, and the other is podhoretz.  i've seen his name pop up a number of times, and his schtick got old halfway thru his first tweet.  nothing would make him happier than pete being successful, so that he can make himself somewhat relevant.

it's hard to explain how someone who's super-jewish can feel anti-semitic, but jewish people get it.  it's like watching mrs maisel.

21 minutes ago, Ozzman said:

Pete's raised over $1M in the couple hours since he announced!?!?!?!? This momentum is utterly insane. There was so much energy at the event.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

thought the announcement speech had a great message, i immediately made another donation afterwards

• Like 6