Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

On 3/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, BradInATX said:

- He's successful

- He's white

- He speaks with nuance and thoughtfulness and hasn't fleshed it every tiny policy detail 20 months prior to the election

ergo he's terrible.

Did I miss anything? What a stupid fucking article.

This all goes back to the notion of whom or what do we want as President.  I am attracted by Warren's ideas, but when it gets right down to it, the POTUS just doesn't have much ability to implement ideas, even when Congress is "aligned."  It may be that we want someone who is more vaguely a "leader" than a policy wonk.

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

This all goes back to the notion of whom or what do we want as President.  I am attracted by Warren's ideas, but when it gets right down to it, the POTUS just doesn't have much ability to implement ideas, even when Congress is "aligned."  It may be that we want someone who is more vaguely a "leader" than a policy wonk.

A very good point.  My visceral inclination at this point is that I want to just put someone in there who doesn't represent the stench of this most disgusting administration.  Hateful, ignorant, moronic people -- generally older people - put Trump in power.

Anyone who is younger, who is smart (Rhodes scholar), and who respects goodness and intelligence has an advantage.  Policies may be tie breakers, but somebody who best represents good values may be who I most want.

• Like 7

It's not necessarily good to have a low burn rate. You don't want to run out of cash, but you should be spending that money to make more. He needs to staff up and get organized. Beto has already had several hundred organizer events. Bernie has several thousand coming up soon. Pete's got... a couple of meet-and-greets??

Pete needs to get moving; him being a media darling (and he's media darling #1 by a mile right now) isn't going to last forever and it's not going to put ballots in the box.

Phase 1: Build a name and brand among the Democratic primary voter base. CHECK

Phase 2: Build a primary-winning political machine. ???

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

It's not necessarily good to have a low burn rate. You don't want to run out of cash, but you should be spending that money to make more. He needs to staff up and get organized. Beto has already had several hundred organizer events. Bernie has several thousand coming up soon. Pete's got... a couple of meet-and-greets??

bernie was definitely (and beto was most likely) going to make it to the primaries in good shape.  pete is still weeks/months ahead of his original schedule - he wasn't initially planning on announcing this early.  this was stage one, and i assume he's got some smart people working on the plan to get them through the rest of 2019.

now that people know who he is and he's got some heat, you'll see his event schedule ramping up.  right now it's all about being in the top 3rd or so of the ~20 names.  considering some polls have him in the actual top 3 (not top 3rd), i'd say he's exceeding expectations.  nobody is running away with this thing anytime soon.

the real question is what the f biden is going to do.  if he stays on the sidelines, the numbers will get very interesting in some of these early primary states.

Pete needs to get moving; him being a media darling (and he's media darling #1 by a mile right now) isn't going to last forever and it's not going to put ballots in the box.

Phase 1: Build a name and brand among the Democratic primary voter base. CHECK

Phase 2: Build a primary-winning political machine. ???

Phase 1.5: Collect billions from Silicon Valley by utilizing every buzzword possible:

40 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Phase 1.5: Collect billions from Silicon Valley by utilizing every buzzword possible:

crap, if he becomes president i'm not going to understand any of his tweets.

i can't really decipher the current president's tweets either, but for different reasons.

Translation: “To the people of France I would like to say that Notre Dame Cathedral was like a gift to the human race. We share the pain but we also thank you for this gift to civilization. "

Fucking seriously.

Whatever the opposite of “laughingstock” is, that’s what we’d be if we elected someone like this.
  • Like 3

He kills it every time. You may not agree with his policies, but he's a smart man that comes across as capable of developing and implementing a plan. He's measured and reasonable, and that's what makes him different.

I hope America's wise enough to realize we need him.

14 minutes ago, tchookem said:

He kills it every time. You may not agree with his policies, but he's a smart man that comes across as capable of developing and implementing a plan. He's measured and reasonable, and that's what makes him different.

I hope America's wise enough to realize we need him.

Mayor has a real chance.  The guy has a brain.  We have had enough disheveled septuagenarian Presidents for my lifetime.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I haven't researched his politics yet, but will be looking into it anyhow.  He is definitely very well spoken and intelligent.

He has none. He's got lots and lots of speeches, though

40 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

So a younger, gayer, midwestern Beto?  

At this point, I think Beto is more substantive than Pete.

- Beto has some clear border policy initiatives
- Beto has a clear healthcare position

That might change, but right now, Pete is still on the All Things To All People train of campaigning. It's how you build positive momentum within a base.

lmao.  Fucking fraud.

“There’s a growing realization that Sanders could end up winning this thing, or certainly that he stays in so long that he damages the actual winner,” said David Brock, the liberal organizer, who said he has had discussions with other operatives about an anti-Sanders campaign and believes it should commence “sooner rather than later.”

The matter of What To Do About Bernie and the larger imperative of party unity has, for example, hovered over a series of previously undisclosed Democratic dinners in New York and Washington organized by the longtime party financier Bernard Schwartz. The gatherings have included scores from the moderate or center-left wing of the party, including Speaker Nancy Pelosi; Senator Chuck Schumer, the majority leader; former Gov. Terry McAuliffe of Virginia; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind., himself a presidential candidate; and the president of the Center for American Progress, Neera Tanden.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/16/us/politics/bernie-sanders-democratic-party.html

I've been immensely impressed with Pete as he is brilliant and comes across as having common sense. Will be interesting how all the candidates are at the debates. I'm leaning toward supporting him though. He was great on Maddow last night.

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Translation: “To the people of France I would like to say that Notre Dame Cathedral was like a gift to the human race. We share the pain but we also thank you for this gift to civilization. "

I can't even say that in English. 

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

That entire article is magic.

How, some Democrats are beginning to ask, do they thwart a 70-something candidate from outside the party structure who is immune to intimidation or incentive and wields support from an unwavering base, without simply reinforcing his “the establishment is out to get me’’ message — the same grievance Mr. Trump used to great effect? 

"HOW CAN WE THWART THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE WITHOUT PEOPLE GETTING MAD AT US!?", the plutocrats whine.

"I've got an idea..."

2019-04-12b.w600.h750.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

I've been immensely impressed with Pete as he is brilliant and comes across as having common sense. Will be interesting how all the candidates are at the debates. I'm leaning toward supporting him though. He was great on Maddow last night.

He's a calming, rational presence in a shit storm of complete and utter nonsense from the right.  The first term of the next president will be spent mainly fixing all the shit the dotard has destroyed and getting back our standing in the world.  I think Pete would do a great job at getting that started.

• Like 8

I love that we have like half a dozen candidates competing to be the empty suit , hope and change, uplifting rhetoric candidate, but I worry the donors are going to settle on one chosen candidate early and force the others out in order to thwart Bernie.  Hopefully enough of them can build a sufficient fundraising apparatus on their own (Mayor Pete and Beto may be able to do this) to survive past Super Tuesday.

Edited by Fozzz

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

He's a calming, rational presence in a shit storm of complete and utter nonsense from the right.  The first term of the next president will be spent mainly fixing all the shit the dotard has destroyed and getting back our standing in the world.  I think Pete would do a great job at getting that started.

I would definitely be happy to have him speak for Ameica to the rest of the world instead of the international embarrassment we have now. Our allies would love him.

They gave Obama a Nobel Prize for not being Bush. Imagine the honors they'll bestow on the next president not named Trump. 

56 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

That entire article is magic.

How, some Democrats are beginning to ask, do they thwart a 70-something candidate from outside the party structure who is immune to intimidation or incentive and wields support from an unwavering base, without simply reinforcing his “the establishment is out to get me’’ message — the same grievance Mr. Trump used to great effect? 

"HOW CAN WE THWART THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE WITHOUT PEOPLE GETTING MAD AT US!?", the plutocrats whine.

"I've got an idea..."

2019-04-12b.w600.h750.jpg

it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you...

At this point, I think Beto is more substantive than Pete.

- Beto has some clear border policy initiatives
 - Beto has a clear healthcare position

That might change, but right now, Pete is still on the All Things To All People train of campaigning. It's how you build positive momentum within a base.

Pete is pro-court packing, which is awesome. Other than that, yeah, he's been as substance-free as possible so far. However, I am a big fan of his "I'm not a septuagenarian with no plans on still being alive in 15 years" argument. He's almost certainly a gay white Obama clone and I would prefer Warren, but I hope Pete can make the race interesting and push court packing and any other good ideas for structural fixes he might have.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Pete is pro-court packing, which is awesome. Other than that, yeah, he's been as substance-free as possible so far. However, I am a big fan of his "I'm not a septuagenarian with no plans on still being alive in 15 years" argument. He's almost certainly a gay white Obama clone and I would prefer Warren, but I hope Pete can make the race interesting and push court packing and any other good ideas for structural fixes he might have.

"Court packing" is a loaded term.  I'd rather call it what it is: making the courts a less political entity that actually works in the best interests of the country.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

"Court packing" is a loaded term.  I'd rather call it what it is: making the courts a less political entity that actually works in the best interests of the country.

Yes, but I'm lazy and "court packing" is easier to type. Pete is presenting it to the public in the right way.

he's also come out in favor of single-payer healthcare, and is pushing pretty hard on the climate issue.

in all of his recent interviews, he's discussed his schedule.  he's introducing himself now, and rolling out policy ideas of the next weeks and months.  pete is nothing if not organized and on a message calendar.

beto is great at rallying a crowd and has an energetic and captivating way about him.  and yeah, he better have an immigration plan in place, because that'll be everybody's first question.  other than being young, i don't think he and pete have much in common at all.  pete is very careful and calculated and seems almost out of his element when he's firing up a big crowd (it's when his nerd really shines thru).

the group is so big, i think people are having trouble figuring out how to differentiate everyone and put them in boxes.  for that reason, i think pete and beto get lumped together and people figure "well, one of them will knock the other one out to compete with the other 3-4 front-runners."

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

he's also come out in favor of single-payer healthcare, and is pushing pretty hard on the climate issue.

in all of his recent interviews, he's discussed his schedule.  he's introducing himself now, and rolling out policy ideas of the next weeks and months.  pete is nothing if not organized and on a message calendar.

beto is great at rallying a crowd and has an energetic and captivating way about him.  and yeah, he better have an immigration plan in place, because that'll be everybody's first question.  other than being young, i don't think he and pete have much in common at all.  pete is very careful and calculated and seems almost out of his element when he's firing up a big crowd (it's when his nerd really shines thru).

the group is so big, i think people are having trouble figuring out how to differentiate everyone and put them in boxes.  for that reason, i think pete and beto get lumped together and people figure "well, one of them will knock the other one out to compete with the other 3-4 front-runners."

I'm pretty sad I can't just have an amalgam of Pete, Beto, and Warren.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

lol how would court packing be anything other than unabashedly partisan? Also, whose "best interests" would be served? 

Edited by Fozzz

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

I love that we have like half a dozen candidates competing to be the empty suit , hope and change, uplifting rhetoric candidate, but I worry the donors are going to settle on one chosen candidate early and force the others out in order to thwart Bernie.  Hopefully enough of them can build a sufficient fundraising apparatus on their own (Mayor Pete and Beto may be able to do this) to survive past Super Tuesday.

The problem with that is this: Obama delivered black votes.

Pete is an absolute wet dream for the suburban NPR crowd, but uh...

Pete is 3rd place overall

He is 7th place with non-whites (fewer non-white votes than Bernie, Biden, Beto, Kamala, Warren, Castro)

He got fewer black voters than Mike Gravel and Eric Swalwell.

28 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

it's not paranoia if they're really out to get you...

This is the battle to fight right now. This is the war for the soul of the progressive movement in America. Is it about the donor class or the working class? That's the fundamental question you have to ask yourself. Each candidate has to look at himself or herself in the mirror and ask, "Who do I represent?"

22 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

However, I am a big fan of his "I'm not a septuagenarian with no plans on still being alive in 15 years" argument.

I don't understand the age argument beyond worry concerning mental acuity and decay.

Why would I care how long a person's post-presidency is? If anything, the idea of a president being around for 50 years after his term... ugh.

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

He says single-payer is a good idea, but he proposes "Medicare for those who want it" which... what?

All things to all people.

White people.

Edited by bad_teammate

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I don't understand the age argument beyond worry concerning mental acuity and decay.

Why would I care how long a person's post-presidency is? If anything, the idea of Pete being "Former President Buttigieg" for 60

Oh I fully agree that it's not really that important for the President, but as a general matter I want more younger people in elected office. If Pete can help convince some marginal voters that Boomers are the fucking devil and are trying to destroy the world and that the Dems are the only party trying to stop that, that's a win. Him being a favorite of the donor class doesn't really help that argument but so far he's the only one actively messaging "holy shit the olds are trying to kill us all maybe we should stop them?" 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

The problem with that is this: Obama delivered black votes.

Pete is an absolute wet dream for the suburban NPR crowd, but uh...

Pete is 3rd place overall

He is 7th place with non-whites (fewer non-white votes than Bernie, Biden, Beto, Kamala, Warren, Castro)

He got fewer black voters than Mike Gravel and Eric Swalwell.

This is the battle to fight right now. This is the war for the soul of the progressive movement in America. Is it about the donor class or the working class? That's the fundamental question you have to ask yourself. Each candidate has to look at himself or herself in the mirror and ask, "Who do I represent?"

Why would I care how long a person's post-presidency is? If anything, the idea of Pete being "Former President Buttigieg" for 60

He says single-payer is a good idea, but he proposes "Medicare for those who want it" which... what?

All things to all people.

White people.

holy small sample size, batman!

i would have to go back and read up, or defer to someone who heard it more recently, but i believe his "medicare for those who want it" is part of a plan to let some people keep the healthcare they get thru their jobs, if they like it.  not everyone would have to switch to a new system, that it would be a hybrid in its transition.  it's all part of his "we're entering into a new era where people will change jobs/careers way more than our parents did".  i don't believe the intent was racially charged, but hey, why not throw that in there for kicks?

i don't have an issue with bernie's age if he wants to be a one-term president.  considering the presidency ages you something like 3-1 or 4-1, and bernie isn't exactly the most mellow of cats, i would worry about his health entering a second term. 

with what's going on right now, if you were to tell me that bernie could swoop in and fix the country for 4 years, then we could transition into any number of great options in 2024, then sign me the fuck up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

when i mentioned the paranoia quote, i was referencing the article in the times, more specifically the closed-door meetings.  the big issue is that a large faction of dems (apparently), who seem to be fresh off the hillary trainwreck, are overly concerned that bernie can't beat trump.  or, more specifically, that "bernie fucked us in 2016 so he may fuck us again".  i know paranoia is part of being a berniebro, but i agree that this shit is pretty real (not just standard everyday bernie paranoia).

and i understand the conflict of interest with bringing mayor pete into some of those meetings, but he's not super-pro-hillary by any stretch.  he's all about fixing this country.  any dem should want him in those rooms over some of the other self-interests hanging around.