Dog owners are much happier than cat owners, survey says

clapclapclap

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/04/05/dog-owners-are-much-happier-than-cat-owners-survey-finds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.80a89e8c6502

The well-respected survey that’s been a barometer of American politics, culture and behavior for more than four decades finally got around to the question that has bedeviled many a household.

Dog or cat?

In 2018, the General Social Survey for the first time included a battery of questions on pet ownership. The findings not only quantified the nation’s pet population — nearly 6 in 10 households have at least one —they made it possible to see how pet ownership overlaps with all sorts of factors of interest to social scientists.

Like happiness.

For starters, there is little difference between pet owners and non-owners when it comes to happiness, the survey shows. The two groups are statistically indistinguishable on the likelihood of identifying as “very happy” (a little over 30 percent) or “not too happy” (in the mid-teens).

But when you break the data down by pet type — cats, dogs or both — a stunning divide emerges: Dog owners are about twice as likely as cat owners to say they’re very happy, with people owning both falling somewhere in between.

Dog people, in other words, are slightly happier than those without any pets. Those in the cat camp, on the other hand, are significantly less happy than the pet-less. And having both appears to cancel each other out happiness-wise. (Since someone’s bound to ask, it isn’t possible to do this same type of analysis for say, rabbit owners or lizard owners or fish owners, since there aren’t enough of those folks in the survey to make a statistically valid sample).

These differences are quite large: The happiness divide between dog and cat owners is bigger than the one between people who identify as middle and upper class, and nearly as large as the gap between those who say they’re in “fair” versus “good or excellent” health.... (snip) 

AMPJPGCMXJBDZPSK4EM42NY32Y.png

I wonder if the “no pets” category includes for former dog owners or cat owners. I have owned both most of my life, but I decided to not get another dog after my lab died a year ago. We’re probably not replacing the cats when they die, either. I’m happier not owning something I have to be responsible for, I guess. 

I imagine there is a pretty damn high correlation between dog ownership and size of living space. People in small apartments / co-living spaces are (I would assume) much more likely to own a cat than a dog, and I can also imagine that these people are likely to report less overall happiness than people with a home, especially home with yard. 

This is obviously not intended to be a scientific study but type / size of living arrangement seems like a pretty linked factor here.

You take your average puppy dog and grow him up to the fullest undomesticated version of his line...something like a wolf.  That wolf sans being completely starving or you being a complete dick would probably take you in.

Take your average pussy cat up to a full fledged Lion and he breaks your neck, slashes your throat and eats your heart.