North Texas vs Florida St. Nov 13, 1976

Nueces River Rat

My old boss was a UNT grad.  He claimed this series was a defining moment for both programs.  Said at the time they were roughly the same, power wise, both smallish upstarts on the upswing.  I kind of laughed and said, what? UNT and Florida State?  He was adamant that if the series were reversed, and UNT had won both games (76 and 77), UNT would have been ranked in '77 at the end of the season, and ranked going into '78.  And with that Fry would have stayed, negotiated UNT in the the SWC, and turned UNT into what Florida State eventually became.

Sounds like alumni bullshit, but I liked my old boss, and kind of hope he was on to something. 

2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

My old boss was a UNT grad.  He claimed this series was a defining moment for both programs.  Said at the time they were roughly the same, power wise, both smallish upstarts on the upswing.  I kind of laughed and said, what? UNT and Florida State?  He was adamant that if the series were reversed, and UNT had won both games (76 and 77), UNT would have been ranked in '77 at the end of the season, and ranked going into '78.  And with that Fry would have stayed, negotiated UNT in the the SWC, and turned UNT into what Florida State eventually became.

Sounds like alumni bullshit, but I liked my old boss, and kind of hope he was on to something. 

I was at this game, and this is pretty true.  FSU basically killed NTSU the next year in Tallahassee, so that showed that the difference in the two had widened.  Then HF went to Iowa and NT hired Corky Nelson to replace him IIRC.

Joe Greene ain't snowshoeing through that door....

I love old football videos like this, don't even care who they are, I'll watch em.

I found a Wichita State vs. Tennessee from the early 80's once, WSU was winning at halftime if I remember correctly.

Edited by mulletpelini
  • Like 1