Used Trucks with Towing Packages

dlatin

I need a truck to pull a boat (3,400 lbs + trailer), not often, so I don't want to spend a lot of money as it will not be used often.  Any suggestions how to best search and locate such a vehicle?  I've never had a truck so I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for.  Any help would be appreciated.

26 minutes ago, immamac said:

Or just buy an SUV - that's a tiny ass boat any SUV with a towing package will tow that.

Perfect - it's just bigger than any boat I had previously.  I wanted to make sure I got something that got it out of the water no problems.  It will be on a lift in my boathouse most of the time but will need something to get it in and out while I reconfigure the dock/lift I currently have.

Just rent one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is really is the way to go for the time being. I live in the country so it’s not that easy but maybe I can talk to one of the many truck owners on my street and ask if we work out an arraignment. I’ve been borrowing my neighbor’s truck for my towing needs to date but I didn’t think it was adequate for this new boat.

If you don't need to do more than pull it out of the water, just get something with a 2" ball.  Limited slip diff is helpful on slick ramps.  Nothing worse than spinning tires and sliding backwards.  An old 4WD truck would do the trick.  So would a tractor.  Not sure if a side by side with 4WD would do it. 

I've got a Ski Nautique that is 2,500 lbs with a single axle Dorsey Trailer (about 800 lbs).  Recently traded the old Expedition for a 6 cyl Pathfinder (5,000 lb towing capacity), and we've had no issues with towing up to 100 miles from the house and dealing with ramps.

Your mom towed my package last night.
Your neighbor must be very patient.  Don't be a douchebag and buy a boat like that and mooch his pickup every goddamn time you want to move it- any decent pickup or suv can pull it- sure doesn't have to be anything fancy.  And, nice house.  

In 4 years living on the lake full time I’ve pulled my boat out maybe 4 times, and the 11 years before that, my previous boat came off the lake zero times. I don’t expect to be taking it in and out once I get the dock/boathouse situation done. In reality I probably won’t put it in the water until spring so I think for now I’ll borrow a truck. I’ll be getting my son one in a year so I definitely wait. Good to hear just about anything should work. It just looks much bigger and the trailer is huge compared to my old boat trailer. Between the boat and dock updates, I wasn’t looking forward to also buying a truck.

Enterprise truck rental will rent you a 3/4 ton truck for about $100 a day, might be a surcharge for towing but can't recall.  WRT the towing from regular vehicles and small SUV types,  this link is helpful and you can locate the GCWR type data from the make/model/year on the web:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr.htm

Look up different makes/model GCWR here:

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr1.htm

Pretty helpful to know what your vehicle is rated to tow.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Enterprise truck rental will rent you a 3/4 ton truck for about $100 a day, might be a surcharge for towing but can't recall.  WRT the towing from regular vehicles and small SUV types,  this link is helpful and you can locate the GCWR type data from the make/model/year on the web:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr.htm
Look up different makes/model GCWR here:
https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/vehicle /gcwr1.htm
Pretty helpful to know what your vehicle is rated to tow.  

This is great. Thanks!

18 hours ago, dlatin said:

In 4 years living on the lake full time I’ve pulled my boat out maybe 4 times, and the 11 years before that, my previous boat came off the lake zero times. I don’t expect to be taking it in and out once I get the dock/boathouse situation done. In reality I probably won’t put it in the water until spring so I think for now I’ll borrow a truck. I’ll be getting my son one in a year so I definitely wait. Good to hear just about anything should work. It just looks much bigger and the trailer is huge compared to my old boat trailer. Between the boat and dock updates, I wasn’t looking forward to also buying a truck.

My apologies.  I (wrongly) assumed that you would be hauling it back and forth more often.  Go forth and prosper.