pepper brooks

2020 Little League Thread of Dominance

20 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Is it tball, machine pitch, coach pitch? You'll need 2-3 coaches to help. Have stations to where kids can stay busy and have 1 on 1 coaching

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Modified.. 3 coach pitches, if they miss all 3, then they hit off the tee.. We already run stations.. I try to eliminate idle time as much as I can... problem is we do the same drills all season and would like to get some new ones that are effective..

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

yeah.  at 9/10 firs tyear of kid pitch it will be mostly about 38-45.  you will get some kids who crank it up to low 50's.  my son threw mid 50's at that age.  it was pretty unfair for most of the kids who had to face him.  

Occasionally you get 11 year olds that were not drafted by a Majors team. The thing I never cared for was the 11 year old pitcher that could throw heat but had terrible accuracy. It usually terrified the new 9 year olds. One time I lost a 9 year old on my team who was nailed by an older pitcher with no control. The kid was pretty nervous about batting as it was but then after getting hit the way he did, he just bailed in the middle of the game. Never played again.

32 minutes ago, F250 said:

Occasionally you get 11 year olds that were not drafted by a Majors team. The thing I never cared for was the 11 year old pitcher that could throw heat but had terrible accuracy. It usually terrified the new 9 year olds. One time I lost a 9 year old on my team who was nailed by an older pitcher with no control. The kid was pretty nervous about batting as it was but then after getting hit the way he did, he just bailed in the middle of the game. Never played again.

Nice thing is that cannot happen (maybe in fall ball) in the spring @ WHLL (or at least I have never seen it happen) for the reason you describe. Risk of injury too high.

We have our 1st tourney tomorrow for a new team, as it is so early in the season it is a mix of 10u and 11u teams (son playing is on a 10u team) so the team will probably get shellacked. Will be good experience and ultimately help him for LL this season as well. 1st game is super early though which really sucks.

1 hour ago, F250 said:

sounds like addition by subtraction to me 😉

My son is 4 and playing for the first time this year.  He's in a modified coach pitch league.  I'm coaching his team.  The league has decided that there needs to be a mandatory 4 hour coaching clinic tomorrow.  This is going to suck.

First practices this week for your favorite Oaks Dads Club Teeball team, we're going to crush the other teams like the insignificant ants they are. 

Or not.