Tell me about Charleston

C-Man

Posted (edited)

The Spectator has been my go to.  No restaurant but there are endless dining options within walking distance.  Love the location and the rooms are superb.  

Edited by HeHateMe
Derp

On 3/23/2024 at 7:18 PM, South Austin said:

Bumping this mofo. The soon-to-be-wife and I are going to Charleston June 6-10, first time for us both. We’re not taking a single long honeymoon after our wedding, and instead will be taking a few shorter trips spread out over the year. Charleston will be the first.

Skimming though this thread it looks like we need to go to Raw 187 and Fig.

Would appreciate hotel recs in the heart of town, in the high 4-star range. 

Went to Charleston a couple of weeks ago.  Stayed at The Dewberry.  Booked through AmEx and got some nice perks.  Free breakfast which was delicious.  The people there were great - setup a tour of an oyster farm and used one of the hotel's Volvos to get there.  Great rooftop bar as well.

Raw 167 was tremendous.  Pricey but worth it.  They're known for their pastrami-ed swordfish sandwich.  Get it.  After reading this thread your expectations could get very lofty.  Hope they don't ruin your experience.

We ate at HUSK and FIG.  Loved both.  Rabbit potpie at HUSK was fantastic and had schnitzel at FIG - weird choice I know, but very good.

R Kitchen was a very cool dinner.  3 young chefs in an old house.  Two seatings per night. Five courses - no menu.  Would recommend.

Gin Joint was my favorite bar. 

Many hot young ladies walking around - they kinda ignored my old, fat ass.  Same as in Texas.

Have fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you're looking for the local high society and a very tightly packed collection of the local hot female scene of every age, get a drink at Hall's Chophouse. It's in the middle of everything and they usually have someone playing something for the room. I think it's a great vibe and great people watching. The food is excellent, but ignore that and go to a non-steakhouse after giving yourself an hour or two there in the bar area. 

The donut place that lost their young female owner to a terrible car crash was really good when we there last summer. It's right in the middle of things too.

People poopoo Lewis, but that place was as good as just about any in Texas and their daily specials looked pretty fucking delicious. Sides were great. Minimal line at lunch. I think it's worth it if you're in the area and missing the meat sweats. 

I didn't read the whole thread, but Fort Sumter is worth a two hour excursion. You don't have to commit much time, you get a nice boat ride of the harbor, and you get to see where the hot war started for the Civil War. 

Everything else in this thread has already been scattered, smothered and covered, so here's hoping you guys have yourself a time.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

People poopoo Lewis, but that place was as good as just about any in Texas and their daily specials looked pretty fucking delicious. Sides were great. Minimal line at lunch. I think it's worth it if you're in the area and missing the meat sweats. 

Agreed. It blew Rodney Scott's out of the water.  Was fantastic.  Maybe not worth it on a 1 or 2 day trip but would make time for it on a longer trip.

SNOB, High Cotton, Magnolia, Anson, and Hank’s Seafood are some backup options near where you are staying. There will be lots of tourists in that area, but all of these places have been around forever and are local institutions. Fleet Landing out on the water is also nearby and has good seafood offerings. I can also vouch for FIG and Husk. Right across the street from your hotel is The Vendue, which has a nice rooftop bar. 

If you go to Upper King St., Hall’s Chophouse is Cougar Town Central like CTJ says, and the food isn’t half bad. The Grocery and The Ordinary are also good choices in that part of town. O-Ku is a decent sushi restaurant as well. Proof and Prohibition are good places for craft cocktails and Stars Rooftop has great atmosphere when the weather is nice for a rooftop bar. 

It’s really hard to go wrong with food in Charleston. 

• Hook 'Em 1