Fish & Chips -- simple is sometimes best

Walden Ponderer

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Long ago, there was a place called Arthur Treacher's that was pretty good.  Pretty much Long John Silver with a very English theme. I suspect Alfie's above was a former Arthur Treacher's.

wow, now that's a way back.  i don't think i've seen one of those in almost 40 years 

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Long ago, there was a place called Arthur Treacher's that was pretty good.  Pretty much Long John Silver with a very English theme. I suspect Alfie's above was a former Arthur Treacher's.

That was my first thought when I saw that photo. 

My mom was raised on cornmeal-breaded panfish and occasionally catfish.
She was super-intrigued by the breading of fish and chips, particularly the very savory crust of Long John Silvers.  To that end, she actually purchased a package of their breading mix and for a while we had it at home.

They still have them on the east coast. Went to one at a rest stop in the jersey turnpike and it was ok but greasy.
FYI, those rest stops have food courts.