Any Morel Hunters?

When I was like 4 or 5 years old, I had uncles who knew where to find them. My family didn't really take advantage of that luxury. We just sliced them, battered them, and fried them. I thought they were just okay. 

Some years later when I was probably about 9-10 years old, we were at a public auction for some family connected to our church somehow. Some of us kids found morels in the woods behind their country house (I guess they lost the farm or something). We collected them in bags and sold them to auction goers at stupidly low prices, like $5 a bag. We had no clue. Seemed like a lot of money to us at the time. 

Then within the next couple of years we were visiting my mom's friend in Michigan and I found this huge morel outside their house. Not really far outside the house. I didn't know any better so I picked it and brought it inside to give to my mom's friend. "Look what I found!" And she was like, "Oh no! We wanted to see how big it would get!" Oops. 

I'd love to go morel hunting if I knew anyone else who wanted to join in the effort. It would probably be fun to do the research to find the likely areas to search. It's not something I'd ever do by myself. So unfortunately, in my history of hunting morels, I've mostly been a schmuck. 

Being a Texas boy, I've never seen one, but I married a couch burner and have had to hear about morels for thirty years.  Evidently everyone has a secret place they go to collect them and these places are highly secret.  Even though I've been in the family thirty years, no one has ever offered me one.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the right combo of rain and heat in the forecast to make them pop this week.  Plan is to hunt on Saturday or Sunday.  One of my best friends has access to family land in the Iowa Driftless that's extremely welll suited for morels.  It's  rare that I'm out of the field in time to participate, but this year has worked out.  Pretty stoked.  Should be prime time for yellows, and then greys should still be moist.