NY Times got tape of NFL owner-player anthem meeting

runthebone

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

NFL players have zero leverage.  Careers are short and they’re replaceable.  And the nfl isn’t dependent on gate revenue near as much as nba or mlb. 16 games versus 82 and 162.  And gate attendance is mainly what suffers when there is a strike. 

This was all decided in 1987.  

Thats why the NFL will always have these problems with their players. NBA players are taken care of and dont want to rock the boat for some stupod anthem protest. NFL players feel the league is constantly out to screw them and will make noise whenever they can any way they can. 

On 5/29/2018 at 9:10 PM, Assholehorn said:

Thats why the NFL will always have these problems with their players. NBA players are taken care of and dont want to rock the boat for some stupod anthem protest. NFL players feel the league is constantly out to screw them and will make noise whenever they can any way they can. 

Well that and the fact that NFL owners lead the way in collusion. 

On 5/24/2018 at 4:56 PM, Johnny Sack said:

How many people here with jobs are allowed to pontificate about politics with customers?  I am a lawyer.  I have partners.  There is no way any of us would preach politics to our clients.  Period.  And we certainly wouldn't let our employees preach their political views to our clients.

What freaking world do you people live in?

The NFL's major mistake was not cutting this bullshit off as soon as it happened.  Like the NBA did with Chris Jackson.

i think it sort of depends on the employer. my employer is based in the uk, and gives us 24 paid volunteer hours. my employer is also heavily involved in various charities, and we have a fairly robust pride program for lgbt. we volunteer for pride events here in austin. is that political? sort of, yeah, some might say absolutely. i think somewhat cynically that it is more about not shutting off sources of talent, because talent wins. but either way, it's fairly progressive, from a political standpoint.

the nfl's major mistake was making a big controversy out of it. let the men kneel if they want to kneel. it does no harm to anyone to allow them to kneel. it doesn't disrespect the flag at all. they aren't setting the flag on fire during the anthem. 

i think people don't like the cause, and they don't like the people protesting the cause. as such, they find ways to obscure the cause, or intentionally conflate it with disrespect of the military (which is the biggest reach, i think) and hatred for the country, when in reality, it's a fairly simple statement that while we may be the land of the free and home of the brave, some people aren't as free as others, especially in the eyes of the cops, and these men are somewhat brave in protesting their cause.

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:
4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:
Their big mistake was allowing any politics in uniform of any kind.  

Correct. And part of that is the forced military adulation at every game. A professional sporting event has zero to do with nationalism.

Well, maybe. But that maybe offends .001 percent of NFL fans and the rest love it. You go to games ever?  I go a lot.  And I can promise you some of the biggest fan cheers are when the national anthem is sung and when military vets are recognized   

It simply isn’t controversial.  The NFL’s fan base eats that stuff up   

So it isn’t the same. It’s like cheerleaders wearing Santa outfits. A small weird fringe might be offended. And 99.9 percent love it.  

• 8 months later...

(not sure where else to put this one)

Looks like the NFL settled with Kaepernick

In a stunning move that strongly indicates a financial settlement between Colin Kaepernick and the NFL, Yahoo Sports has learned the quarterback has withdrawn his collusion complaint against the league and will take no further action in his case. While sources declined to offer specifics for Kaepernick’s decision, Yahoo Sports was told on prior occasions that Kaepernick would only withdraw his complaint if a lucrative financial settlement was reached between the quarterback and the NFL.

Mark Geragos always said that they had a strong case, apparently he was right. Enough to make the NFL settle and keep it a little quieter than if it had come out that they were forced to pay X million to Kaepernick. Now they can quietly pay him probably fewer X million.

Just now, relapse98 said:

Mark Geragos always said that they had a strong case, apparently he was right. Enough to make the NFL settle and keep it a little quieter than if it had come out that they were forced to pay X million to Kaepernick. Now they can quietly pay him probably fewer X million.

Florio is floating a roughly $50 million settlement amount.

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

pussies