2018 Chicago Cubs

Disco Missile

My hot takes after the first 30 games:

- our starting pitching isn't better. Jake was apparently set on leaving and Darvish looked like a great replacement but to this point it hasn't panned out. Quniana looks okay. Chatwood walks too much and hasn't been effective.

- the bullpen is better. Strop is nails. Even Morrow is good he's just not as good as Davis was.

- the issues with our starters is exacerbated by our offensive struggles. Can't win if you don't score.

- the offense should come around. We've seen slumps before. Maddon works them out. Rizzo and Heyward and even Bryant have been below their averages to this point. They'll get better. We need more hitters than just Baez, Contreras, and occasionally Happ. 

Final take: Darvish should improve. So should our hitting. Right now we're above .500 and not playing well. If we get it together we'll win the division.

I think our pitching miss was not getting Verlander last deadline. They were close but it was the result of a depleted farm system. I’m still not overly worried about Darvish, but Verlander would have changed things last off-season and only has 2 years left  

Last year I would have taken Davis or Morrow, but this year and on I’ll take Morrow. Davis I think has 13 saves already this year, while great he had nothing left by the end of September. 

Still, just get Harper this offseason and make a couple of trades. I do feel like this team needs some attitude outside of Contreras. 

13 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Farrell gives up two extra-inning game-winning home runs in consecutive games.  Back to Iowa with you, young man.

This team is starting to piss me off.  Absolutely no reason to be barely over .500 with the talent on this roster. 

I don't disagree but it's a LONG season. They are 2.5 games back right now. They were 10 back at the break last year. They are fine just need to not make losing games when you have a late lead a regular occurrence.

Carl Edwards got the W tonight. He’s been awesome this year, and he doesn’t get enough love.

Last year in April in 11 games he gave up 0 runs. In May in 11 games he gave up 2 runs. June is where he fell apart. He’s still listed as 155lb and 6’3”. Still wish he could gain another 20lbs or so.

57 minutes ago, Dewey said:

Cant get swept by adivision rival, wins against the Marlins does nothing in my mind for laying an egg against the Cardinals. Still agitates me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Meh, it's a long ass season. They were 2.5 games out when they left St Louis and now are 1 game back. You can't win the division in April and May but you can sure as hell lose it (hello Cincy) Nobody will give two shits about that series (except for douche bag Cards fans) in July or August if the Cubs are in 1st and have a 7 or 8 game lead. It is what it is. Marathon not a sprint. 

11 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Meh, it's a long ass season. They were 2.5 games out when they left St Louis and now are 1 game back. You can't win the division in April and May but you can sure as hell lose it (hello Cincy) Nobody will give two shits about that series (except for douche bag Cards fans) in July or August if the Cubs are in 1st and have a 7 or 8 game lead. It is what it is. Marathon not a sprint. 

And they blew 2 of the 3 games. It sucked, but hopefully will be a wakeup call.

Still not as bad as how they started last year. 

10 hours ago, coolsax said:

Agreed on Machado, if we can get an extension out of him then bring him in.

Pretty much zero chance. 

• If they do trade Manny Machado — as seems logical — while everyone’s figuring they need arms, they need some gloves, too, especially on the infield, and a person familiar with their situation said infielders would be a focus, too. Yet another person liked our suggestion of the Cubs for Addison Russell plus more from two weeks ago.
  • Machado will just be a rental if he is traded. As expected, there’s no way he grants a window to negotiate a long-term deal with a new team – nor should he. “Everyone has waited a long time to be a free agent,” Machado said to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times.

Rizzo has been heating up, KB has 5 bombs in 8 games, Russell is getting multi-hit games left and right- this is the potential we have in this lineup, and it should be our path to a World Series championship. Our pitching is good-very good but not great- the bats will be the difference in winning and losing at the end of the day, and this run we are on is encouraging.

He says he feels good about his ABs and that he thinks it's just a matter of time before the hits start coming.  I sure hope so.  For the most part, he's been a black hole in that 3 spot.

His babip is really low, so might be some bad luck. Average exit velocity is still above average and launch angle at 19% where league is at 12%.

• 3 weeks later...