--> Jump to content

A Remarkable, And Disheartening, Series of Tweets from Los Angeles


Hornius Emeritus
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Lobo

What a fucking small world.  My uncle ran that Coors Warehouse, San Antonio Coors Dist., Ltd from 1990 to 2005 or so.  I flew down there from Chicago to work Summer of 1991 during high school.  And then after my mom moved back to Texas, I worked there 1993 as well (shit, you might be one of the guys I met from Churchill High School and recruited to work there with me).  Mostly ride-along helper for the delivery drivers.  Got paid every Friday in cash, no taxes under the table, and a case of beer to walk away with for the weekend (nice perk at 18).  But also worked couple days a week in the warehouse dealing with damaged product off the rail and prepping marketing shit for on-premise sales.  There's a 50/50 chance I saw you casing the joint before your heist.  

Good lord, what a small...small world.  I can see/hear/smell that place all over again just from a post.  Please tell me more about it if you're so inclined. Don't worry, he sold the distribution rights, the place is some kinda HVAC repair deal now, and he's dead.  So...safe space ;)

Edited by Lobo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Lobo said:

What a fucking small world.  My uncle ran that Coors Warehouse, San Antonio Coors Dist., Ltd from 1990 to 2005 or so.  I flew down there from Chicago to work Summer of 1991 during high school.  And then after my mom moved back to Texas, I worked there 1993 as well (shit, you might be one of the guys I met from Churchill High School and recruited to work there with me).  Mostly ride-along helper for the delivery drivers.  Got paid every Friday in cash, no taxes under the table, and a case of beer to walk away with for the weekend (nice perk at 18).  But also worked couple days a week in the warehouse dealing with damaged product off the rail and prepping marketing shit for on-premise sales.  There's a 50/50 chance I saw you casing the joint before your heist.  

Good lord, what a small...small world.  I can see/hear/smell that place all over again just from a post.  Please tell me more about it if you're so inclined. Don't worry, he sold the distribution rights, the place is some kinda HVAC repair deal now, and he's dead.  So...safe space ;)

Very small world. My first thought was that you were from up north how did you know about that Coors warehouse. I never worked there. People used to talk about that place all of the time. We were throwing a pool party, invited some Clark HS girls over and needed beer to impress them. Oddly enough, one of our friends met his girlfriend at that party and dated her for two years and just recently started dating her again after reconnecting on Facebook.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, F250 said:

Very small world. My first thought was that you were from up north how did you know about that Coors warehouse. I never worked there. People used to talk about that place all of the time. We were throwing a pool party, invited some Clark HS girls over and needed beer to impress them. Oddly enough, one of our friends met his girlfriend at that party and dated her for two years and just recently started dating her again after reconnecting on Facebook.

 

 

Yeah, personally born (is there any other kind of birth?) and raised up North.  But my mom's family is all from Mexico/Rio Grande Valley.  Her oldest brother was in the Air Force, then a cop in McAllen, then went into the beer business.  Eventually had a big Budweiser distributorship in the Valley for a long time.  Then move up to the Coors place in San Antonio.  Been 20+ years since I set foot in that place but I could draw you a floorplan of the buildings, and diagram of the terminal yard from memory.  As you probably remember, there was a rail line (to tie it into this thread) that came in the NE corner of the lot.  Beer would come in by the carload and I'd help unload it.  Then moved on to delivery routes.  Neither the warehouse nor the trucks had A/C so it was hot work moving 1000 cases/day by hand/dolly...but got paid in cash and all the beer I could hold with two hands.  

Anyway, mom moved back down here before I headed off to college in Florida.  But worked there that summer and met all kinds of folks from Clark HS, Churchill, and Marshall (maybe one other, can't remember).  And the second I mentioned what I was doing for summer work, they were all trying to talk me into grabbing beer for 'em.  IIRC, the GLI and Budco places were all farther outside of town so you NEISD heathens musta known San Antonio Coors from driving by it all the time.  And you truly demented ones even tried to plan a heist.  Worked there all throughout college as well over breaks and parts of summers.  Our crummy house in Cherrywood while at UT was adorned in all the Coors neon signage and coolers I could talk them into giving me.  

Anyway, yeah-I'm thread heisting right now.  But really takes me back.  I miss my uncle, he really loved that business and that town.  He'd sponsor anything and everything San Antonio asked him to.  If I was around the warehouse, he'd come find me and tell me to go help deliver product to this fundraiser or that.  And it was boring and tedious but didn't realize at the time, he was trying to instill in me the value of giving back however you can to your community.  I remember leaving some Air Force deal at one of the bases.  Long ass day of keeping people well hydrated and running beer around everywhere that massive complex.  And the head guy sarcastically saying something like, "Shit, I didn't realize the boss' nephew would actually do work...great job.  I'm not counting how much we have left over so if all the beer doesn't make it back to the warehouse...I don't know anything about that."  So I took a half dozen cases to my buddy's house with his younger sister and her friends and had the time of our lives.  

If you stole or bought Coors, Keystone, Kirin, or even Mamba Malt Liquor in the 1990's in San Antonio on premise or off...odds are---I delivered it.  

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Have you learned nothing from this thread? Lobo is finding an inside guy with gambling debts to do the heist for him.

Obviously.  Animals backed into a corner are usually extremely dangerous.  But occasionally, they make the most loyal pets as well.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Lobo

No, just waxing nostalgic with F250 about a place he and I knew in another life, and about my deceased uncle.  It was truly a "small world" kinda coincidence we found this out about one another in a thread about a Los Angeles train heist.  Sorry dude, feel free to scroll past my posts or put them on ignore.  Immamac has all kinds of cool features on this board.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, personally born (is there any other kind of birth?) and raised up North.  But my mom's family is all from Mexico/Rio Grande Valley.  Her oldest brother was in the Air Force, then a cop in McAllen, then went into the beer business.  Eventually had a big Budweiser distributorship in the Valley for a long time.  Then move up to the Coors place in San Antonio.  Been 20+ years since I set foot in that place but I could draw you a floorplan of the buildings, and diagram of the terminal yard from memory.  As you probably remember, there was a rail line (to tie it into this thread) that came in the NE corner of the lot.  Beer would come in by the carload and I'd help unload it.  Then moved on to delivery routes.  Neither the warehouse nor the trucks had A/C so it was hot work moving 1000 cases/day by hand/dolly...but got paid in cash and all the beer I could hold with two hands.  

Anyway, mom moved back down here before I headed off to college in Florida.  But worked there that summer and met all kinds of folks from Clark HS, Churchill, and Marshall (maybe one other, can't remember).  And the second I mentioned what I was doing for summer work, they were all trying to talk me into grabbing beer for 'em.  IIRC, the GLI and Budco places were all farther outside of town so you NEISD heathens musta known San Antonio Coors from driving by it all the time.  And you truly demented ones even tried to plan a heist.  Worked there all throughout college as well over breaks and parts of summers.  Our crummy house in Cherrywood while at UT was adorned in all the Coors neon signage and coolers I could talk them into giving me.  

Anyway, yeah-I'm thread heisting right now.  But really takes me back.  I miss my uncle, he really loved that business and that town.  He'd sponsor anything and everything San Antonio asked him to.  If I was around the warehouse, he'd come find me and tell me to go help deliver product to this fundraiser or that.  And it was boring and tedious but didn't realize at the time, he was trying to instill in me the value of giving back however you can to your community.  I remember leaving some Air Force deal at one of the bases.  Long ass day of keeping people well hydrated and running beer around everywhere that massive complex.  And the head guy sarcastically saying something like, "Shit, I didn't realize the boss' nephew would actually do work...great job.  I'm not counting how much we have left over so if all the beer doesn't make it back to the warehouse...I don't know anything about that."  So I took a half dozen cases to my buddy's house with his younger sister and her friends and had the time of our lives.  

If you stole or bought Coors, Keystone, Kirin, or even Mamba Malt Liquor in the 1990's in San Antonio on premise or off...odds are---I delivered it.  

Obviously.  Animals backed into a corner are usually extremely dangerous.  But occasionally, they make the most loyal pets as well.  

I had no idea that you had S. Texas ties. Cool. Odd that an off the cuff post ended up making this connection. I grew up a few miles north of the area. NW Military near the Boy Scout camp.

My BiL worked for Budco and I ended up with a lot of Budweiser merch when my sister made him get rid of his stuff because it was tacky.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...