The Ventures/Surf Music Appreciation

Longhorn Al

Great thread topic. Apple Music has a pretty decent playlist called "Surf Essentials" - just search those terms and it will pop right up. Not many super deep cuts though.

Man, I love surf rock. Fender released their first reverb tank in 1963, then amps with built in reverb, and these dudes just went "what's this thing do?" and turned them all up to 11. My band usually works up one new surf rock song per gig. The last one was Surf Rider - the one at the very end of Pulp Fiction. We even had a sax player friend come in for a totally faithful performance. 

If anyone can recommend some good surfy modern bands, I'd love to hear about them. 

I kind of lump all those 60's instrumental groups into "surf." Whether they were more rockabilly, country, or whatever, they all covered each others' songs anyways.

This is the best Pipeline version IMO - the original.

My band has also done this one. Takes about 1 minute to learn and 2.5 minutes to play. Fuckin' rock and roll, man.

9 hours ago, Grandioso said:

This is the best Pipeline version IMO - the original.

I always appreciate the originators. I like that version, as well.  I like that odd sound.

But for the same reason I prefer The Ventures "Rebel Rouser" more than Duane Eddy's, I prefer their "Pipeline."  It just sounds more polished, and has more flair.  And I love the tone of their guitars more.

In.  I was in a surf rock band in the early 2000s.  Mainly for our own entertainment, because let me tell you, it was hard to find a following for instrumental surf rock from the 60s in early 2000s Dallas.  Anyhow, it was a lot of fun.  One of my favorites to play (among those that haven't already been mentioned): 

As a teenager in the 60's and growing up in Corpus Christi, the surf music got plenty of airtime.  This thread is a reminder of all of the vinyl I once had and wish I still did.  Pos rep.

I have this original single of this one, it's the flip side to "Everything Turns Grey".  I don't know why, every version I've ever found on the internet has the single repeated twice (the fade-out is at 1:50, but then they just looped it back to the beginning again, original is shorter and better, still like it anyway...)

From "Repo Man", definitely has the surfer vibe to it...