Bash Riprock

Selling stuff on eBay

On 11/23/2019 at 11:31 AM, RDCanecutter said:

Is it something like this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19355506-2015-2019-Suburban-Tahoe-Yukon-OEM-Kicker-200w-Subwoofer-Kit-NEW/282482652004?epid=888546212&hash=item41c5473364:g:w7IAAOSw1WJZHJsU

That seems like a lot of money to deal with for a first sale. You aren't a total noob at 34 transactions, so probably won't attract the predators who look for people with little feedback, but if something turns into he said/she said, eBay will likely side with the more experienced party.

wasn't that the model people were breaking into that was discussed somewhere on Shaggy/Surly?  Makes more sense now, gd $600 for a new sub

I've been shopping for some camera gear and decided to give Ebay a shot. I found a flash that I wanted and had a price in mind. I just bought a very similar one online 2 weeks ago for $72 shipping included. That was from a pawnshop in Boulder, CO. This one I'm looking at the guy wants $135 plus $12 shipping. I offered $70. He countered with $129.99. Not much of a price drop but I'll play, I offered $75. His counter was $131. WTF? Is this some sort of game theory bidding shit? I declined and dropped out. 

7 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

Don't the people in the pool notice the flash?

You've seen the people. No, they don't notice the flash.

Anyway, I found a suitable flash, new, for about what I offered the guy for his used one. Saul Goodman.

Yeah, 129.99 dude mighta bought it for 70 himself. Doesn't sound like some kind of unique collectible.

That said, if you can find some widget with guns or titties or Texas or Harley or similar religious icon status, sometimes you can slap a Stoopid High price on it, ignore low offers, and wait for that impulsive person with a credit card.

Back to the flash, the whole raising the offer thing to 131 sounds like you were dealing with a nut.

Oh, Old Man Canecutter tip to anybody who gets offers on eBay-- check out what kind of feedback the person has left for others before you even answer them. That will show you a lot about them. You want to see a hundred "Thanks! Great seller! or similar. If you see lots of wrangling arguments or a constant sense that they were wronged, beware.

The guy I was dealing with had over 4K transactions and a high approval rate. I'm not a frequent Ebay flyer and some of the items for sale are at auction and some are just listings. This was just listed for sale or "make an offer". I'm guessing that the guy had a value on it in his head and will just leave it in his "warehouse" until he gets something much closer to what he's wanting. Let it gather dust.

Ain't no tellin. If he's like me and waits too long, he'll eventually sell it, and forget where he put it and go around flipping the house looking for his Preciousss.

14 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I think his raise to 131 was a little "fuck off" message to you. I've done that before on Mercari.

I agree. Why bother with the "make an offer" though if you're not seriously willing to entertain offers? Clearly he wasn't terribly motivated to engage in some dickering to make a sale. I'm sure there's some data out there that told him that the item had sold for as much as he was asking but that's not the norm. It's a manual flash. Either the damn thing flashes or it don't. He didn't want to do the flash dance.

8 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I agree. Why bother with the "make an offer" though if you're not seriously willing to entertain offers? 

It's not like your offer was an insult. It was more than half the asking price, if not in that 75% sweet zone.

I've had slackjaws offer me less than mailing price.

2 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

It's not like your offer was an insult. It was more than half the asking price, if not in that 75% sweet zone.

I've had slackjaws offer me less than mailing price.

I should probably drop back by and offer less and less every month or so for the rest of my life or until he stops listing it. Because unless there's some poor soul out there who just has to have it at any price to hang in their LumoPro museum, it's going to sit out there at that price until it rots.

People are weird. Kinda reminds me of some advice one of my uncles jokingly gave me about the stock market "The stock market is pretty much risk free. You don't ever actually lose money on stocks unless you sell them!".