Patricio Swayze

The "Post a Picture You Took" thread

36 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Any tips on taking an outdoors family portrait type photo? Coworker is volunteering her family as guinea pigs. Lighting? Metering method? Not even sure what I need to be asking really.

Hope for a semi-cloudy day with fairly low diffused sun for non-squinty front lighting, or invest in off-camera light for fill flash to sync with the daylight. The more people and the further away the subject, the more difficult it is.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Hope for a semi-cloudy day with fairly low diffused sun for non-squinty front lighting, or invest in off-camera light for fill flash to sync with the daylight. The more people and the further away the subject, the more difficult it is.

Thanks. I've probably got a couple of weeks to figure it out and get a game plan. I was thinking of using your 180mm or my 85mm. The 85 is a f1.8. Not sure if I would need it set quite that fast though.

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Thanks. I've probably got a couple of weeks to figure it out and get a game plan. I was thinking of using your 180mm or my 85mm. The 85 is a f1.8. Not sure if I would need it set quite that fast though.

You will probably need something wider for a group shot. I doubt the 180 would be useful unless you can shoot from pretty far away without extra lighting gear. The 85 might be too much, maybe OK for tight head and shoulder type small group. Shoot with the small aperture to get everyone in focus, especially if they are varied depth.

1 minute ago, DougO said:

You will probably need something wider for a group shot. I doubt the 180 would be useful unless you can shoot from pretty far away without extra lighting gear. The 85 might be too much, maybe OK for tight head and shoulder type small group. Shoot with the small aperture to get everyone in focus, especially if they are varied depth.

I've got a 35mm (50mm equivalent on my FX) and of course the 18-55mm kit lens (so ~27-82) that you have.

2 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I'll do that. Thanks. The only lighting I'll have is ambient and the onboard flash for fill if needed.

A makeshift reflector or two can do a lot. The strobist will cover that as well. He's into doing a lot of stuff on the cheap with home-made items. An assistant can be a big help, holding stuff up.

5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I've got a 35mm (50mm equivalent on my FX) and of course the 18-55mm kit lens (so ~27-82) that you have.

It's a really good little lens.

I guess what lens I end up using will be somewhat determined by location/space. I've got a spot in mind down by the Hilton and of course there's areas in Cameron Park that would probably be suitable.

16 hours ago, DougO said:

A makeshift reflector or two can do a lot. The strobist will cover that as well. He's into doing a lot of stuff on the cheap with home-made items. An assistant can be a big help, holding stuff up.

I spent an hour or so last night reading his Lighting 101, now it's got me thinking I need to buy a light kit, lol. Thanks a lot, Doug! 

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I spent an hour or so last night reading his Lighting 101, now it's got me thinking I need to buy a light kit, lol. Thanks a lot, Doug! 

I have a bunch of lighting stuff acquired over the years that I never use. You just end up doing free portrait gigs that nobody wants to pay for and it becomes a pain.

Got a new toy. A little Canonet QL17 G-III. I have wanted one of these little rangefinders for a while, since they’re supposed to have an excellent sharp lens on them, and I have never had a rangefinder.

015215587505ecd2e4c616eabd1f801f.jpg

b2832c21a09f2c04686c51cbd500d506.jpg

ce8f2a5bbab57a1b0919dfa96f43c533.jpg

Going to try to run a test roll of Portra through soon.

I went to the zoo yesterday just to get out somewhere away from this ugly ass apartment complex. Bright, bright sunny day. Took a couple different lenses with me and gave shooting with the 18/27mm a whirl. I've got work to do, lol. On the left of this first shot are some stylized braces under some type of arbor, a couple of closer shots of them follow. I didn't really notice the blueness of the shadows until just now and did a crude color edit.

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0301_00001.jpg

DSC_0308_00001.jpg

Brazos Bend State Park yesterday.  Not great photos (iphone) by any stretch of the imagination but up close pics of gators are always cool in my book. 

spacer.png

spacer.png