Jose OUT at Man U

Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

I never understood that hire at all.  Seriously, how could the same club that hired Fergie hire Jose?  

Reactionary move to Pep at City. Crazy how bringing Jose on board was to even the playing field, yet the disparity between the two clubs' success has only widened. 

Manchester United has experienced two decades of unfathomable glory (90's and 00's), but they don't have virtually unlimited funds like Chelsea and City. I truly admire Liverpool's ability to win with coaching and a vision for success. United is gonna need to be patient for 4-5 years and make the right move at manager and hire a Director of Football. 

There are some rumors of the Glazers selling the club to a Saudi? Don't know if that has any legs or not. I think if they sell then a lot of fans are gonna jump ship outside of Asia. 

29 minutes ago, Blanton said:
Reactionary move to Pep at City. Crazy how bringing Jose on board was to even the playing field, yet the disparity between the two clubs' success has only widened.  Manchester United has experienced two decades of unfathomable glory (90's and 00's), but they don't have virtually unlimited funds like Chelsea and City. I truly admire Liverpool's ability to win with coaching and a vision for success. United is gonna need to be patient for 4-5 years and make the right move at manager and hire a Director of Football. 

There are some rumors of the Glazers selling the club to a Saudi? Don't know if that has any legs or not. I think if they sell then a lot of fans are gonna jump ship outside of Asia. 

it's always puzzled me that people in general have this attitude towards Liverpool, while most of the same people like to talk about Arsenal as if they are Shaka Smart's Longhorns. What, exactly, have Liverpool won recently? And how does your sentence not describe exactly what Arsenal did by winning 3 FA Cups, 3 Community Shields, and going to the round of 16 in the Champions League 10 straight years during the "Banter Era", when Arsenal was regularly playing with lineups like this: 

7afa02ecbede63a03f1283352d0e17c9.jpg

I personally really like Liverpool and see a lot of similarities in the two clubs. Chelsea, United, City, and Spurs can all eat shit, but I like Liverpool, and I always have. Most of my non-Arsenal friends support Liverpool, and I've always liked a bunch of their players and managers, from Rodgers to Klopp, to Gerrard, Suarez (yes I like him), Mane, Firmino, and Wijnaldum. So I understand why people like Liverpool- that's not where I'm puzzled.

Are Wenger and Emery not just as likable as Klopp and Rodgers? Did people not enjoy watching van Persie, Cazorla, Rosicky, Arshavin, Alexis, et al play? Does our club not also have players who are easily likable, and a vision for success and a way of doing things that goes against the modern super club "spend it like it grows on trees" mantra? Yes, we do. We check off every box that Liverpool checks off as far as "likable" goes. Plus, we've been *way* more successful over the last two decades, and yet consistently for years now people praise and fawn over Liverpool and their coaches players, while consistently deriding Arsenal, a mirror image of Liverpool in all of the ways that make Liverpool likable.

Can anyone explain?

to be clear, i know that cheeseweasel, and captain ron, and texanbychoice can come in here and make some lame jokes about Arsenal and then circle jerk each other over it; so I'm not asking if that can be done. I'm legitimately looking for anyone's best reasoning as to why this is. It's always puzzled me.

Final note- earlier tonight some people were lamenting the state of the NBA thread on this site, a thread that in years past has been a really good thread for conversation- not on par with the MLB thread, but still good for conversation and discussion. This year however it's all memes and instagram posts. Well, this forum and the EPL thread have generally always sucked as far as conversation goes, and that's always been disappointing to me. There's very little discussion of the league, players, and teams here, and what does get posted is usually just a bunch of weak, juvenile shit talk by the posters I mentioned above and their friends. This thread would be a lot cooler if more conversation happened. I really do hope that this whole "why do people love liverpool but hate arsenal" question can bring some actual conversation to the forum.

Ill also note that Newcastle going down hasn't helped the conversation around here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

All London clubs hate Arsenal (historically the most successful and popular London club) and United fans hate Arsenal because of the EPL rivalry in the 90s and 00s (by far the most intense rivalry in EPL history).  That really just leaves Liverpool as an EPL team with a historically large fan base in the US that doesn't actively dislike Arsenal.  Even City has a weird relationship with Arsenal because of the transfers in the early oil days.

With respect to Liverpool, U.S. supporters of London clubs have a generally ambivalent attitude regarding Liverpool aside from a brief Chelsea/Liverpool interlude because United and later City were the real threats for trophies.  For all Klopp has done to turn Liverpool around, they have won 1 trophy since 2006 and were generally an afterthought in the EPL title race before then.  

As for the discussion here, imo the content on surly pales in comparison to shaggy on every board, particularly compared to the shaggybevo days.  You can debate the reasons why. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I never understood that hire at all.  Seriously, how could the same club that hired Fergie hire Jose?  

It's not the same club that hired Fergie.  United fans wish that it were, but the fucking Glazers came in and did what billionaire reactionary idiots do, make bad long term decisions, but hey! marketing and uniform sales! 

To answer your question Derka,

No, Wegner the last 10 years has not been a likeable manager. Arsenal fans were having Wegner out fights for the last 7 of those years. Arsenal were capable in both the league and CL but rarely title threats. The last time Arsenal made the semis in the CL Zea’s 08-09.  I also think other fans get tired of Arsenal pleading poverty when they see the massive revenues the emirates stadium generates every week for the club. 

Pool hasn’t won shit but they’ve played some exhilarating football (13-14 league and last year CL) which I think neutrals enjoy. I also think Spurs/Gooners fans in America dislike their london rivals and look at Liverpool as the team they dislike the least in the northwest. And most fans don’t want to see teams owned by blood money oligarchs winning every trophy under the sun. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

To answer your question Derka,

No, Wegner the last 10 years has not been a likeable manager. Arsenal fans were having Wegner out fights for the last 7 of those years. Arsenal were capable in both the league and CL but rarely title threats. The last time Arsenal made the semis in the CL Zea’s 08-09.  I also think other fans get tired of Arsenal pleading poverty when they see the massive revenues the emirates stadium generates every week for the club. 

Pool hasn’t won shit but they’ve played some exhilarating football (13-14 league and last year CL) which I think neutrals enjoy. I also think Spurs/Gooners fans in America dislike their london rivals and look at Liverpool as the team they dislike the least in the northwest. And most fans don’t want to see teams owned by blood money oligarchs winning every trophy under the sun. 

Everton is the least disliked team.  

Thanks for the answers, all of that pretty much makes sense. I think that Wenger will ultimately be looked at pretty fondly by everyone, particularly as long as guys like Jose are around.

As far as Arsenal goes, this recent spell where we've had to play (or at least have chosen to play) Xhaka at CB with all of our injuries has shown how badly we need another couple of transfer windows before we can hope to get off and running. Finishing fourth or winning the Europa League this year is all we can ask for, and both are possible, although Arsenal is/are (?) currently on pace to smash the record for points by a fifth place team, so it's totally up in the air. I'm just glad that we have a clear identity and direction, and hope that we can dump enough salary to bring in some actual world class replacements. Ramsey will be sold, Ozil appears to be on the way out, and the likes of Miki, Welbeck, Jenkinson, Koscielny, and El Neny should all be sold by the end of next summer, so if we can get some UEFA CL money on top I think we'll be in a good position.