Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Chuckie Finster

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

We’ll see what the fallout from that is from the Survivor faithful. I didn’t like it at all. I think Devins is one the all time great players. 

Except for the part where he was the fourth person voted out and was on the wrong side of almost every meaningful vote once he returned, yeah he was a tremendous player.  He was certainly entertaining, was good at challenges, and had great hidden idol radar, but his success is entirely due to playing in the right season.  Any other season, he is one of the people at the reunion show who barely gets two seconds of screen time, if that. 

As I already said, they might as well change the name of the show to Idol Hunters.  I'm not opposed to having idols in the game.  They just way over use them, and make them ridiculously easy to acquire.  They are a crutch for bad Survivor players, not a strategic tool for good ones.  

Lauren, Lauren, Lauren.   So pretty.  So dumb.  She would not have won anyway, but still.

Gavin made it to the final 3 without receiving a single vote for elimination and without finding any hidden idols.  He did get one extra vote advantage from Julia, but its use did not change the outcome of a vote.  He was not riding anyone's coattails.  He was not being carried to the end because he wasn't seen as a threat.  He did a masterful job of controlling his own fate.  Based on everything we saw, my vote would have been for him. 

I have to hand it to Chris.  He did everything he could in the short time he had, but that includes being the third person voted out.  Ironically, that is what won him the game.   

Seeing how the voting went, with 3 of Gavin's 4 votes coming from the last three people eliminated, is very telling.  None of those three had been bonding with Chris during his 28-day stay on Extinction Island.  This was a vote along tribal lines all the way, with Team Extinct taking care of their own...someone they all got to know and like.  Gavin's only chance would have been to find a hidden advantage of awesome personality, but they don't put those in the game...not yet anyway.

I have such a love/hate thing with this show.  I want to stop watching it, but I can't.

Edited by idigTexas
Found a hidden immunity idol in my pants
  • Like 5

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more annoyed I get.

1.  A jury member got to cast a vote for a million dollars despite never once interacting with 2 of the 3 finalists

2.  Chris was able to tell the entire tribe who the jury thought was playing the best game.  I wonder if Victoria is still the initial target without that info.

3.  Bringing someone back into the game at the F6 is too late.  Arming them with an immunity idol (if they survive a vote) is insane.

Not mad at Chris, I actually quite like him and think he played everything perfectly once he made it back in.  I just can't believe production didn't seem to envision the potential problems that arose from the theme this season.  EOE could have been a great twist if it went away after Devens got back in.  Dragging it out was not smart.

• Like 3

I don't know how great of a player Devens actually is when he conveniently found an idol whenever he was on the chopping block.  When the producers have to help you along that much, it doesn't mean you are a great player, it just means you're likeable and make for good tv.

I think extinction island was just a way for them to save money at Ponderosa.  Why put up the entire cast at an expensive location when you can just keep feeding them rice for the entire length of the game?

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, the more I think about this, the more annoyed I get.

1.  A jury member got to cast a vote for a million dollars despite never once interacting with 2 of the 3 finalists

2.  Chris was able to tell the entire tribe who the jury thought was playing the best game.  I wonder if Victoria is still the initial target without that info.

3.  Bringing someone back into the game at the F6 is too late.  Arming them with an immunity idol (if they survive a vote) is insane.

Not mad at Chris, I actually quite like him and think he played everything perfectly once he made it back in.  I just can't believe production didn't seem to envision the potential problems that arose from the theme this season.  EOE could have been a great twist if it went away after Devens got back in.  Dragging it out was not smart.

1000% this. 

A ton of former players weren't very happy with what they have done to the game and while annoying Fisbach bringing the heat-

And for those that don't think the producers pushed the narrative some of you are all buying-

Just an awful twist that the producers didn't think through. I also think if Gavin had a personality or was more outspoken in the final tribal he wins. Because if I am Gavin there isn't a shot in hell I allow a guy that played 11 days take my money. 

And for the record if Devens was in the final 3 he would have received every single vote, I would have been 100% fine with that. 

10 hours ago, George said:

What a fucking let down. You have a dude win who wasn’t even on the show until the last episode. 

I think it's telling that the three players of the players who lasted the longest (Aurora, Lauren, Devens) and a Survivor GOAT (Wentworth) voted for Gavin. Surprised the other returning players didn't have more respect for the game to notice how good Gavin was this season and were fooled by the EOE Cinderalla story and Idol shenanigans. Also, WTF Victoria? Thought Gavin was her number one?

Cool season, and ballsy move to give up immunity to take on Rick, but that was a lame finish. Hope we see Devens, Lauren, and Wardog back eventually.

Edited by Tired of Lurking

11 minutes ago, Tired of Lurking said:

I think it's telling that the three players of the players who lasted the longest (Aurora, Lauren, Devens) and a Survivor GOAT (Wentworth) voted for Gavin. Surprised the other returning players didn't have more respect for the game to notice how good Gavin was this season and were fooled by the EOE Cinderalla story and Idol shenanigans. Also, WTF Victoria? Thought Gavin was her number one?

Cool season, and ballsy move to give up immunity to take on Rick, but that was a lame finish. Hope we see Devens, Lauren, and Wardog back eventually.

Something I bet you couldn't envision yourself saying at the beginning of the season 

13 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

So, we get Boston Rob and Sandra back as mentors next season.

For me when I saw this, I thought shit because I can’t think of two players that dislike more than those two.  Who came up with that crap?

4 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

For me when I saw this, I thought shit because I can’t think of two players that dislike more than those two.  Who came up with that crap?

Rob is one of the best, well known, hated/loved contestants of all time (top 3 for sure) and Sandra the only person to win twice and one that also is very polarizing. 

It's another stupid twist by producers to try and get old eyeballs back. Depending on how it goes I can only assume it's going to allow producers to use Rob and Sandra as tools to manipulate the game even more then they have in the last several season with all the fucking idols they give out like candy. 

4 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Rob is one of the best, well known, hated/loved contestants of all time (top 3 for sure) and Sandra the only person to win twice and one that also is very polarizing. 

It's another stupid twist by producers to try and get old eyeballs back. Depending on how it goes I can only assume it's going to allow producers to use Rob and Sandra as tools to manipulate the game even more then they have in the last several season with all the fucking idols they give out like candy. 

If this is the goal, they are doing it wrong.  I will probably skip next season.

Rob I can handle.  Sandra, OTOH, is revolting.  
Wish they'd do a hotties v hotties season.  I'd love to see Andrea, Julie, and/or my avatar return.

Survivor 41! Beauty & The Beast. One tribe full of beautiful people. One tribe full of total uggos.
  • Like 1

This season is my Survivor jump the shark moment. Too many damn idols and now we have a winner who didn't even make it to the merge. I know viewership for the show has been on the decline but is this the season where folks like me who've been there since day 1 just change the channel?

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

This season is my Survivor jump the shark moment. Too many damn idols and now we have a winner who didn't even make it to the merge. I know viewership for the show has been on the decline but is this the season where folks like me who've been there since day 1 just change the channel?

I agree. I will probably give it an episode or two but depending on how heavy handed the rob and Sandra stuff is. If 40 is all returning players I will watch. 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, El Diablo said:

I'll tune in for another season just to see if anyone catches a fucking fish.

I think I mentioned something about this on a previous page, or maybe I'm just dreaming.  Surely these people know where they're going ahead of time.  Why don't they study the local culture and adapt to their methods of catching fish?  I've never understood it.  Hell, I'd try to figure it out so I'd have something to do every day.

If some don't think the producers are screwing with outcomes, one only has to watch the sequence of events when Devens found the last idol.  

1) He puts out two fake idols.

2) Surrounded by tribe members, one in front and one behind, he manages to find the idol.

3) Lauren then mysteriously finds a clue.  Of course, she doesn't notice Devens watching her look for the idol in camp despite the camera beside her pointing at him.

4) Some how, some way, Julie happens to find one walking back to camp despite that fact that two idols have already been found and there's no reason to even look for a 3rd.

4 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

I think I mentioned something about this on a previous page, or maybe I'm just dreaming.  Surely these people know where they're going ahead of time.  Why don't they study the local culture and adapt to their methods of catching fish?  I've never understood it.  Hell, I'd try to figure it out so I'd have something to do every day.

If some don't think the producers are screwing with outcomes, one only has to watch the sequence of events when Devens found the last idol.  

1) He puts out two fake idols.

2) Surrounded by tribe members, one in front and one behind, he manages to find the idol.

3) Lauren then mysteriously finds a clue.  Of course, she doesn't notice Devens watching her look for the idol in camp despite the camera beside her pointing at him.

4) Some how, some way, Julie happens to find one walking back to camp despite that fact that two idols have already been found and there's no reason to even look for a 3rd.

Yeah, you mentioned the fish thing earlier and it stuck with me. How fucking hard can it be to catch a fish in these places? I've watched Naked and Afraid, fish can be caught with some pretty crude technology. 

• Like 1

I’ve watched every season of Survivor since season 1. I can’t even really say why, but for some reason I started to delete this season’s episodes from my DVR starting at week 4. I think I just really had no interest in ANY of the players this season. Kind of wish I would have watched it just see what the hell you guys are talking about. Sounds like some new bullshit occurred.