Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Chuckie Finster

Has anybody ever caught a fish via hook and line?  I know they get out there and spear those little reef fish. Somebody needs to put one of those on a hook. They're always showing sharks busting bait at the surface.   There has to be other inshore species that would feed the group.

14 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

I think he meant top 3 all-time favorite.  I don't think any of the people on his list ever won, so I think that's a safe assumption.  I wish the people on the Eof E were doing some kind of competitions and eliminating players each week.  Last one standing gets back in the game.  

Agreed, similar to Top Chef and how they have last chance kitchen. You have to keep winning every "week" to continue to have a chance to get back in the game. 

And top 3 favorite is even worse. There have been far more entertaining players then Devens. (in my opinion of course!) 

Edited by JimmyHoffa

18 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

At this point I think it's Devens, Lauren, and Gavin that make the final 3

I don't see that happening.  Neither Devens nor Gavin is going to take the other to final 3, and Lauren should be smart enough to not take both of them.  I suppose it could happen if the final 4 is those three and Ron, but that is unlikely.  I think Julie is a lock for the final 3.  I think either Devens or Gavin will be there and will be the eventual winner.  The third person is a crap shoot, depending on how immunity challenges, idols, and random production shenanigans shake out. 

18 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agreed, similar to Top Chef and how they have last chance kitchen. You have to keep winning every "week" to continue to have a chance to get back in the game.

I tolerate the Top Chef model because the players are eliminated via somewhat subjective criteria, but it still bothers me that some chefs can still be Top Chef after being the worst chef in a given week, and others do not get a second chance.  

12 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That was, uh, badass.  The beauty of his play was that he thought about the long game by stating that he and Julie would be voting for one of the other four.  That meant that Victoria, Gaven, and Lauren really had no choice but to vote Aurora.  (3 Gaven, Lauren, Vic to 2 for whoever Devins/Julie voted for to Aurora's one vote for Julie).  This scenario occurred a couple of seasons ago, but the one (I forgot who) that tried to pull it off made the mistake of saying who he/she was voting for.

The others should have openly said that they didn't believe that Devens was going to use the idol on Julie, therefore they were still voting for her.  It doesn't mean they had to follow through on voting for Julie.

I really can't see Devens playing the idol for someone else at this point unless he was fully confident that he could find another one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I really can't see Devens playing the idol for someone else at this point unless he was fully confident that he could find another one.

Agreed, If they introduce another idol into the game other than the two that are already in play at this point I might quit watching. 

30 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I tolerate the Top Chef model because the players are eliminated via somewhat subjective criteria, but it still bothers me that some chefs can still be Top Chef after being the worst chef in a given week, and others do not get a second chance.  

I agree, but if they are going to have it that would be the only way it should be done. 

Going back a page, I did mean Top 3 Fav; not best players.

I do agree, to a point, about the unfairness of being able to return after already being voted out; however, at this point, the gane is far from a pure social game.  Nothing is truly ever fair as it pertains to a level playing field.  Many "perfect players" have been voted out simply because of some game quirk, random idol, rocks, tribal switches, etc.. 

At this point I just accept that the producers rig the game to a point to which it remains somewhat entertaining.

• Like 1

Another point, regarding the idol fake-out last night, was that Devens added to his resume by dictating the vote when he really has no one on his side. Not an easy task. 

The others should have told him that if he wants Aurora out, then he has to use the idol.   You can't let the biggest threat run the show like that, without forcing him to take some hits as well.  But I guess they also wanted Aurora out thinking they still have the #s.

Disclosure: I want Devens to win as well.

I honestly don't see the purpose of the edge of extinction being in play so late in the game. Do we really expect the winner to be someone who spent several days out of the game (I almost said weeks but I forgot this game happens over the course of 30-40 days) but came back towards the end? Maybe I'm too much of an old school survivor fan but that would kill my viewing experience.

I want either Devens or Lauren to win. Devens for the gameplay, Lauren for that ass.

1 minute ago, HRSchenker said:

I honestly don't see the purpose of the edge of extinction being in play so late in the game. Do we really expect the winner to be someone who spent several days out of the game (I almost said weeks but I forgot this game happens over the course of 30-40 days) but came back towards the end? Maybe I'm too much of an old school survivor fan but that would kill my viewing experience.

I want either Devens or Lauren to win. Devens for the gameplay, Lauren for that ass.

Since the jury is made up of people who have spent time away from the game, perhaps they will vote for their own.  If Reem wins, I will stop watching the show. The TV would be at risk of being tossed out the window.

27 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I completely agree regarding the extinction part.   I was pulling for Aurora.  Now I don't know who I want to win.  I guess Gavin, but I find myself not caring due to how much manipulation of the game happens these days.

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Not to mention the current players basically made his final TC speech for him.  I'm rooting for Devens and even I was shouting at the TV "Don't say that!" and "Quit talking!"  They cannot let Devens get to the final or it's over.  It's going to be tough to explain some of their glowing words for Devens at the final TC

2 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

At this point I assume whoever comes back doesn't make it to the finale. But if they did I would have a massive issue of them spending 24/7 with the jury just seems odd. If they keep this format I can only assume they will tweak it. 

For the record I would be fine with Devens winning, he has played a really good game the last couple of weeks BUT if he does make the final the other players should absolutely shred him for how awful he played for the first 2/3 of the game. The game changing blindsides he was on the wrong side of several votes in a row, he was voted out already, and if it wasn't for finding an idol over and over again he would have been voted out for a second time. 

But if he does indeed win out via the earned idols he wouldn't be close to the luckiest player to win.  

4 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

What exactly has Gavin done? I feel like i just remember him as being part of the pack run by Ron or War Dog all season. Same with Vic. 

That's the thing.  None of those remaining have done shit - save Devens.  I get the demerit for having been voted off; however, do any of y'all really want anyone else to win?  

2 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's the thing.  None of those remaining have done shit - save Devens.  I get the demerit for having been voted off; however, do any of y'all really want anyone else to win?  

Right. I keep hearing people talk about Gavin’s gameplay, and even he seems to keep talking about how he’s masterminded a lot of stuff (of course, so does everyone it seems). I don’t get it. Devens is the only one left that is killing it. Fuck it if he’s already been voted off, he won the challenger to get back so whattayagonnado 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

At this point no.  Devin has played best game so far.  I’m not impressed with Gavin that much and Julie sucks.  Lauren has played hard so l at least respect her game.  Vic is a backstabber at any perceived slight towards her and is a weasel.

Yeah.  Vic's a tad disappointing.  Unlike Lauren, she seems to try her best to hide her appearance.  She also seems to have the type of passive-aggressive personality that I can't stand.  Julie is about as useless as they come.  Lauren's not bad, but I don't think she's done much other than hang onto Kelly's coattails for half the show and then luck out by staying just out of the target area.  Glad Aurora is out.  For some reason she reminded me too much of an extra from Road Warrior.  /Team Devens 

Many of those blindsides that Devens has been on the wrong side of were engineered by Gavin.  I made this point weeks ago that Gavin's biggest problem is his personality.  In short, he isn't Devens.  That does not mean that he has not been playing and making things happen.  He's simply not as flashy or entertaining when doing so, which makes him less camera and fan firendly. 

The production staff have done a great job this season of selling Devens, as evidenced by most of you buying it. 

I find myself more in an "anyone but Devens" camp than cheering for a particular survivor at this point.  I fully expect to be disappointed with the outcome, but at least all of you assholes will be happy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

Many of those blindsides that Devens has been on the wrong side of were engineered by Gavin.  I made this point weeks ago that Gavin's biggest problem is his personality.  In short, he isn't Devens.  That does not mean that he has not been playing and making things happen.  He's simply not as flashy or entertaining when doing so, which makes him less camera and fan firendly. 

The production staff have done a great job this season of selling Devens, as evidenced by most of you buying it. 

I find myself more in an "anyone but Devens" camp than cheering for a particular survivor at this point.  I fully expect to be disappointed with the outcome, but at least all of you assholes will be happy.

100% this. Aside from the last part. If Devens is in the final 3 he deserves to be there and played a really great game when it mattered. 

Those asking what Gavin has done? Are you watching the show? He flipped the vote multiple times and has basically been controlling the vote since the merge. Devens looked like a fool at tribal at least 3 or 4 times when he had no idea what was going on and was on the wrong side of the vote but was lucky the target was someone other than him. 

Yes Devens is entertaining and funny but come on and open your eyes a little to see what is going on behind the scenes and not just take the 45 minute Devens show the producers have been giving you the last couple of weeks as how the game has been played the entire season. 

I just looked it up-

Devens voted for someone who didn't go home SIX times. SO half of the times he's been at tribal he voted for .  

The next closest player left in the game- Lauren twice. 

And Gavin has voted the person going home every tribal except the Kelley blindside. 

And idig brings up a good point about Gavin he doesn't have a great personality and isn't great on camera and that is why he isn't getting even close to the edit that Devens is. 

To be clear, I absolutely feel that Devens has done enough to win under the rules that were put in place this season.  I just really don't like the twist and would prefer someone win who has not been voted out.  I know most (all?) of you don't share that point of view, and I doubt anyone on the jury does either, but if I'm sitting next to him in final tribal, I'm reminding everyone of that over and over and over.   

44 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

To be clear, I absolutely feel that Devens has done enough to win under the rules that were put in place this season.  I just really don't like the twist and would prefer someone win who has not been voted out.  I know most (all?) of you don't share that point of view, and I doubt anyone on the jury does either, but if I'm sitting next to him in final tribal, I'm reminding everyone of that over and over and over.   

Agreed, and while looking up how many times he had no clue who was getting voted out at tribal I was reminded he was the 4th person voted out. I knew it was somewhat early but didn't realize it was that early. 

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Can't believe the finale is tonight. A lot of comps and tribals to fly through in 2 hours. 

i dont like the way they do this now.  5 players left and it's the last episode of the season?  Makes no sense.  Plus, presumably at least one person is coming back from extinction, so that makes 6 players still vying for the win.  are there 11 players on extinction island?  there should be.  if so, that technically makes 16 players still vying for the win.  it's ridiculous to make this finale week.

also, wasn't last week the deadline to play an idol?  did lauren have to eat hers?  

I believe they can play idols one more time, otherwise Devins would have actually used his extra one on Julie last week.

Agree with the Game of Thrones pacing.  No idea why they blow through the finale so quickly.  The reunion show sucks now as well.  Not enough talking by the contestants; too much yapping about non-game stuff.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm cool that they tried the Extinction island bit, but I think it fell flat for the most part.  Or perhaps its the whole season. I'm normally a fan that looks forward to each episode but it's been more of a chore to watch this season. my 2 cents.

I agree. All it really did was give them more footage to show. Unless you count Devens a success of it since he wouldn't still be on the show without it. 

1 hour ago, LonghornSean said:

Edge of Extinction sucks based purely on the fact that it meant we had to continue to see and hear from Reem.

And just think... would have had the crazy Puerto Rican, chicken lover and the whiny, pre-med millenial as well had they not both quit.

32 minutes ago, George said:

What a fucking let down. You have a dude win who wasn’t even on the show until the last episode. 

We’ll see what the fallout from that is from the Survivor faithful. I didn’t like it at all. I think Devins is one the all time great players.