2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

ATLLonghorn

Glass Half Full

Acuña is an absolute stud, Freddie's last two months were an anomaly, Donaldson is healthy, Ozzie can be more consistent, having Mac back and Markakis provides veteran leadership, Dansby and Inciarte are elite defenders, Camargo coming off the bench makes the bench better, there is a ton of talent in the starting pitching staff, Another year in the system will make Gausman betterm Darren O'Day will provide a steady arm for the bullpen, the players love Snitker and would run through a wall for him.

Glass Half Empty

The improvement of young players isn't always a linear upward trajectory, Freddie can be injury prone, Donaldson is 33 and hasn't been healthy in a couple of years, McCann and Markakis could be washed up, Inciarte and Swanson are way too inconsistent offensively, they have no starting pitcher they can trust, they don't have a closer they can trust, Snitker is one of the worst in-game managers in baseball.

To me they're within a couple of games either way of .500. If things go right they're certainly contenders, but the fact that they didn't upgrade the pitching staff combined with Folty's injury concerns and the fact that everyone in the division but Miami got better leads me to believe they're going to take a step back but then again I thought they were going to be awful last year.

For some reason I’m not very optimistic about this year. I like that our young arms are getting a shot, but didn’t want that happening the opening series.  

The offense should be decent though.

Yeah it's thoroughly deflating when AA said they were going to spend money and were going to be around the top 10 in payroll and their opening day payroll is actually lower than it was last year. I understand (to a degree) not throwing all kinds of money around but they need a fair amount of help in their pitching staff both starting and relief and with a lot of talent in the farm system to sit back and mostly do nothing is so frustrating. When you compound that with the fact that the revenues are through the roof but Liberty Media is funneling all revenue into real estate ventures and not the team it just makes it worse.

The good news is it is possible to have a level of disgust with ownership, but love the players and this group gave us a lot to love last year so here's hoping they can make more magic!

i didn't really see a lot of value out there on the FA market this time around. Happy to take the slow approach so long as they keep developing the young talent

Teheran starting strong, locating 1st pitch strikes routinely

we should get to the PHI bullpen pretty quick, Nola already at 67 through 4

Edited by pacman

You can kiss his ass goodbye after age 31, but he’ll be a great bargain for many of those years. 
This response after the Braves just locked up a stud for 10 years on potentially one of the biggest bargains ever is why the internet is a terrible place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

This response after the Braves just locked up a stud for 10 years on potentially one of the biggest bargains ever is why the internet is a terrible place.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Well, I could have said...let’s hope he doesn’t turn out like our other can’t-miss phenoms like Frenchy and Hayward....

Max Fried was outstanding last night. As the Braves are essentially auditioning the young starters for rotation spots he earned a couple of more looks. Folty had a good rehab start last night and Gausman makes his season debut tonight. Hopefully the rotation can find some stability. It was nice to sweep the Cubs after the stinker of a first series in Philly.

I thought Fried was a 91-93 type guy, but he was 96-97 with the fastball.  He’s put up solid numbers during his time in the bigs and I’d rather see him over Wilson (who I like) and maybe even over Julio. 

The Atlanta Braves have placed catcher Brian McCann on the 10-day injured list with a right hamstring strain.

Alex Jackson was recalled from Triple-A Gwinnett and will make his major league debut with the start in Sunday's game against the Miami Marlins.

McCann strained his hamstring while running the bases in the fourth inning of Saturday night's 4-2 loss to Miami. Tyler Flowers, who has shared the starting role at catcher, replaced McCann and was hit by a pitch on his right hand in the fifth. X-rays on Flowers' hand were negative.

The Braves have not disclosed a timeline for how long McCann will be sidelined. The 35-year-old is 4-for-14 in five games this season.

Jackson was the No. 6 overall pick by the Seattle Mariners in the 2014 draft. He was acquired by Atlanta on Nov. 28, 2016. While in the Seattle organization, Jackson moved from catcher to the outfield. He returned to catcher with the Braves.

also, i'm thinking the ideal batting order is something along the lines of:

1. ozzie
  2. acuna
  3. freddie
  4. markakis
  5. donaldson/camargo
  6. ender
  7. dansby
  8. catcher
  9. pitcher

markakis is not an ideal #4 hitter, but he puts the ball in play and the 3 guys ahead of him all get on base.  i'd be fine with flipping ender and dansby as well.  for sure, i think the top 3 guys in the order should be the 3 guys listed here.

11 hours ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Everyone one of his hot streaks has been followed by a month where he hits .150 so I'm only cautiously optimistic, but it would be nice if this was Dansby Swanson's breakout year.

Yep, he had a very slow start at the beginning of last year right?

Acuna with already his 4th HR. 

34 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Yep, he had a very slow start at the beginning of last year right?

Acuna with already his 4th HR. 

April was actually his only decent month, fell off in May and never got it going. I think I read that his wrist was really fucked up last year and he never got healthy during the season.

Touki and Fried need to be in the rotation even after Folty comes back. Soroka also about ready.  Numbers will be tight, but that’s a good problem. 

Trade Julio for a bullpen arm while he has some value??  We don’t really have any glaring needs in the lineup.