Dr Fear

Final Fantasy VII Remake

I am last last one to see racism everywhere, but the Barrett character is 2019 is pretty amazing.

This was the very first game I played, post college and post 10 year marriage. I bought a PS1(first console I owned since the Atari 5200) in early 2003 and this came with it. It was also the first RPG video game I played(played some D&D tabletop in college). It hooked me and I ended up playing almost every turn based RPG on the PS1 and the PS2. Played a few action RPGs on consoles and a bunch on PC. Also went back and played a bunch on emulators. So this game is both a treasure and a curse(hundreds upon hundreds of hours wasted?) to me.

Fuck yes! I played the original all the way thru about six times as a teen and once more on a PC download a couple years ago. In all that time I've never been able to beat Ruby weapon 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Super stoked for the remake as long as the fight system remains turn based. FFXV was so fast paced I often couldn't follow where my player was and it got frustrating when trying to land combos 

Anyone watched the series on youtube from the kotaku guy that does a deep dive into the original Japanese game's script and how the English translation was lacking? It's pretty interesting to see how the rushed translation missed a lot of the nuance

https://kotaku.com/s/final-fantasy-vii

I watched the Longhorn All Access presentation and I just do not get the college football thing.  That ping pong game looks pretty cool though.  

- Continental Op, probably

I am hoping that one of the announcements they mentioned in the conference will be a release on PC. I don't want to buy a PS4 for just one game.

I kind of doubt it. All the other FF remasters seem to be cross platform, but the FFVII remake will probably be a ps4 exclusive. Maybe they'll add a PC version when the 2nd one comes out 

That's the old one, not the new one. It's best to think of them as completely different games just with a similar (same?) story. 

I hope so. They did introduce the E3 presentation by saying "Let's mosey" so maybe some of the bad translation will be kept?

The one thing I worry about is the pre-order DLC summon materia. I hope they do not go the pay for DLC route with the more powerful materia. Also, if they cut it into three games, Part 1-Midgar(fleshed out to what they got in Japan originally), Part 2-open world up to after Nibelheim, Part 3-first visit to northern crater to endgame, each with 2 Blu-Rays worth of content, I think that will be enough. They said they were not sure how many installments would be after this one. I think three is quite enough.

Edit to add-I have heard that the missable characters(Yuffie and Vincent) plus their areas, are going to be mandatory this time(probably since they have been in their other FF7 projects). May still be some smaller missables like items and smaller areas.

Edited by bamachine

So I'm gonna have to buy a damn PS4 just to play this game again, 20+ years later, because... well, because.

I think I only played through it twice in college, but the second time I bought one of those strategy guides and tried to complete every last detail, like getting Aeris' level four limit break before she dies. That shit took forever.

But fuck yeah, I'd do it again.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:35 PM, drewcifer said:

So I'm gonna have to buy a damn PS4 just to play this game again.

Yes

https://m.ign.com/articles/2019/07/11/final-fantasy-7-remake-xbox-release-date-video-was-an-internal-mistake-by-microsoft

In a statement to IGN, Square Enix said "As previously announced, Final Fantasy VII Remake will be released for the PlayStation 4 on March 3rd 2020. We have no plans for other platforms."

Do not watch the latest trailer. While everything looks good, they show a bunch of stuff I was wanting to see when I played the game, rather than see what it would look like before I got my hands on it.

Another case of too much show in a trailer.

On 5/22/2019 at 6:04 PM, TankedBevo said:

Fuck yes! I played the original all the way thru about six times as a teen and once more on a PC download a couple years ago. In all that time I've never been able to beat Ruby weapon 🤷🏾‍♂️.

Super stoked for the remake as long as the fight system remains turn based. FFXV was so fast paced I often couldn't follow where my player was and it got frustrating when trying to land combos 

Two things....

1) Ruby Weapon fucking sucks but I can't imagine he or emerald will make it into the remake. I don't know how you could have such heinous enemies in an action RPG. If the chocobo racing b$ where you have to successfully guess who will come in 2nd place to win the prize is in the game then I am out. That shit was so aggravating. I remember finally getting the KotR materia thinking I could finally fight Ruby only nope you gotta out 500,000 AP into this thing to be able to cast it 5 times in battle to even have a chance 😂. That was one of the more soul crushing video game beats I had over the years.

2) Speaking of action RPG I am pretty sure we are just getting FFXXII aka FFVII + FFXV. Ihope I am wrong and it is way better I am just sure that expectations are gonna do it no favors 

Edited by Pimphand

On 2/11/2020 at 10:30 PM, Pimphand said:

Two things....

1) Ruby Weapon fucking sucks but I can't imagine he or emerald will make it into the remake. I don't know how you could have such heinous enemies in an action RPG. If the chocobo racing b$ where you have to successfully guess who will come in 2nd place to win the prize is in the game then I am out. That shit was so aggravating. I remember finally getting the KotR materia thinking I could finally fight Ruby only nope you gotta out 500,000 AP into this thing to be able to cast it 5 times in battle to even have a chance 😂. That was one of the more soul crushing video game beats I had over the years.

2) Speaking of action RPG I am pretty sure we are just getting FFXXII aka FFVII + FFXV. Ihope I am wrong and it is way better I am just sure that expectations are gonna do it no favors 

spacer.png

I have a sneaky feeling that they're going to water this game down by breaking it up into 3 installments and releasing it as piecemeal.  It was already a damn perfect masterpiece, they didn't really need to fuck with it.  All it really needed was some updated graphics and sound maybe.  If this turns out like Final Fantasy XIII I'll be rather disappointed.