Any Navy Nuclear Propulsion folks on here?

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Maybe it's early and caffeine hasn't cycled through, but neither of those planes is a C-130 or a variant...  What am I missing?

They are sub hunters.  The C-130 generally is not, although I bet they have run a few missions at some point in the last 50 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the boy swore in.  Holy shit it was a bit dusty in that room.

Now for the funny (and maybe humble brag, I don't know) part.  As soon as we got home, he had an email from West Point.  Said something like "your academic achievements have drawn our interest and we highly recommend you to apply for admission".  He pretty much ignored it, but they have sent 3 more in the last week or so.  Now he's thinking about it.  It seems very late in the process to me for him to try to get into a service academy.  My thought is that maybe West Point has a prep academy like Navy does and they would consider sticking him in there for a year.  Thoughts?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Now for the funny (and maybe humble brag, I don't know) part.  As soon as we got home, he had an email from West Point.  Said something like "your academic achievements have drawn our interest and we highly recommend you to apply for admission".  He pretty much ignored it, but they have sent 3 more in the last week or so.  Now he's thinking about it.  It seems very late in the process to me for him to try to get into a service academy.  My thought is that maybe West Point has a prep academy like Navy does and they would consider sticking him in there for a year.  Thoughts?

They, in fact, do - USMAPS.  My dad used the prep school to get into West Point back in the 1950's, when it was then located at Fort Belvoir, VA.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, You don't know me said:

Ultimately, it comes down to what he wants.  Is he looking to lead others an an officer, regardless of branch? If it is not an emphatic HELL YES, then IMHO, that's the end of the conversation.

He can start his enlistment and later pursue the West Point/ Annapolis direction too, but the longer he waits, the more difficult the path becomes.  The prep-school  option is not determined by the applicant, but rather the academy; that is to say, you don't apply to the prep school, you are offered a position there by the academy itself following the full application process.  There are also 5-6 civil prep schools around the country that the academies use for 'sponsorships.'  These are partial scholarships from their alumni associations with a "you've got next' with regard to appointments the following academic year, should you keep your nose clean. The closest ones to Texas are NMMI in Roswell and Marion in Alabama.  This is the route my son took because he was 6'4", about 180#, and no varsity letters in athletics.  It was a fantastic experience for him.

There are so many paths to fulfilling that dream, whether it is prior service enlisted, civilian schools, or the academies themselves. If it is indeed something about which your son cares, he should move on it without delay.  It has to be him.  100%  Not because of you, momma, or Uncle Bill who retired as a Colonel 25 years ago.  Do not make the phone calls.  Do not do the legwork.  It has to be your son's pursuit.  I cannot emphasize that enough.

This site will answer most, if not all of your questions.  It is very, very helpful.  https://www.serviceacademyforums.com/index.php

Edited by slorch

Edit: just went back and reread your OP.

If he is interested in a career as an officer, yes, he still has time going into his Senior year.  The interviews with the Congress people for the nominations generally happen in October.  He needs to start making phone calls now and letting academies in which he is interested know.  They will put you in contact with a local liaison ( usually prior service officer) that coaches/ counsels, but does not lead the process.  They will also conduct initial interviews with the candidates to determine their viability.

I am about 98% sure that should he gain an appointment to an academy, his enlistment will be waived.

Edited by slorch

Edit: just went back and reread your OP.

If he is interested in a career as an officer, yes, he still has time going into his Senior year.  The interviews with the Congress people for the nominations generally happen in October.  He needs to start making phone calls now and letting academies in which he is interested know.  They will put you in contact with a local liaison ( usually prior service officer) that coaches/ counsels, but does not lead the process.  They will also conduct initial interviews with the candidates to determine their viability.
I am about 98% sure that should he gain an appointment to an academy, his enlistment will be waived.
Thanks. Yeah, I am pretty certain that if he were to get an appointment to any service academy he can get out of any enlistment contract. To be honest though, he simply is not prepared to go to a service academy. Hell, I don't think that he is ready to go to any college just yet. He lacks self motivation. Boot camp will open his eyes.

He continues to get emails from USMA, but he has his head set on Navy Nuke. I am actually happy that he has made his decision and is sticking to it. So, in a year, he will be heading to Great Lakes for boot camp.

I can help him in that regard. It has been over 30 years, but I went to Marine Corps boot camp. I can get his head ready for the fuck fuck games and his body ready. Based on his intelligence and everything else that he has going for him, the confidence that boot camp will give him will do wonders. I really believe that this kid can do anything once he gets confidence and self motivation.

On 7/8/2019 at 12:09 PM, You don't know me said:

congrats !