Murphy Beds

I have a guest room I'd like to make a bit more usable for the 99% of the time there's not anybody staying in it.  It looks like there are some murphy type beds that also have a small desk, like this - 

https://www.costco.com/Bed-%26-Room-Porter-Queen-Portrait-Wall-Bed-with-Desk-in-White.product.100299771.html

Anyone have anything similar?  Thinking about getting something like that and maybe one of those less expensive foam mattresses.  Might be an upgrade anyways from the old mattress we have in there now.

Ha.  I've lost the war on having a decent place to work, but so far am holding strong on the guitar front - one side of the game room is all amps and guitars.

Of course the one couple that comes down and stays is my brother in law and his girlfriend, and I ended up giving him one of my guitars, so I guess the guest room is taking me the wrong way on that front.

I don't think wife would go for the "chuck the bed get an air mattress and make it my office" idea but she's on board with doing something like a murphy bed.  I think there's an element of coming from a fucked up family and a) having a good place for her brother to stay when they come down b) remaining multiple echelons above her nearby mother when it comes to being a proper adult.

But I'd love to get use out of that space the remainder of the time.

17 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Guest rooms are so overrated. We’ve had one outfitted for 2 decades, maybe less than a dozen times in all that time has someone slept in it.

Use that room for more guitar shit.

Precisely my issue.  It's going to be 90% music room, 10% guest room/me sleeping in the same room with the grand dogs when they visit -- I'm figuring a really simple futon but the wife wants some kind of more comfy bed.   

That makes perfect sense and I agree with you 100%.

You aren’t married though are you?
13 years yesterday. But I had to get rid of my futon. We eventually replaced it with an Ikea pullout couch that we keep a mattress topper for. So...I win?

I've been a guest more than once at a home where the host had a decent futon in the "guest room", slept damn well for multiple nights. Real estate ain't cheap, keep a running tally of the cost of the in-utilized space  and give the old lady a bill once a month. The last part is a joke btw.

When my youngest daughter moved out, I then had a bed room that I could use as a hobby room.  I then bought a used murphy bed that I could stand up in the corner out of the way (between two book cases) and roll out (the headboard has 4 wheels on it so it can be rolled around while stood up) during the RARE times that someone wants to sleep over. I LOVE it and it is perfect for my needs!  I dont have a tv in the hobby room so sometimes we roll the murphy bed into the living room so they can stay up and watch tv as well. 

• Like 1