Chelsea 2019-2020: Puli My Finger

MoJames

It’s an adjustment watching us have so much less of the ball this year vs. last. I am sure some of that is by design, as Sarri ball was big on possession for possession’s sake. That said, it feels like this year’s midfield will struggle to maintain the ball and dictate play as a general rule.

Jorginho feels like a real part of the problem as he’s not inclined to keep the ball and move up the pitch via dribbling. I guess we are rather stuck with him for now, but hopefully RLC’s recovery stays on track as we need someone that is a more credible threat to the defense. It feels like we’d be at our best with RLC playing the advanced position that Kante is playing, with N’Golo sliding back to play where Jorginho is right now.

So I've decided to be a Chelsea fan. Haven't had a team so I'm not switching allegiances or anything, just really interested to watch Pulisic develop over the next few years, so here I am. I've watched the Man U and Liverpool games, and read this thread, and it seems like hitting the woodwork and inconsistent defensive play have been hang-ups. Would David Luiz have made a difference? Did Lampard make a mistake there? I'll be watching tomorrow and already have the game set to record. If you guys know of anything I should read to bring me up to speed on the team or transfer ban please let me know.

Welcome to life as a Blues fan!

Luiz would only have helped if his head and heart were in it, as he’s an emotionally driven player. Once his mind was made up to leave, he had to go. The risk was that he would become a cancer in the locker room, and we’ve had far too many of those in recent years.

As for things to read, check out http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com for pretty solid coverage of all things Chelsea. They wrote a lot of content leading up the season, including how this year’s club will look different from last year’s based on what Frank wants to do.

Beyond that, I’d advise you to avoid getting attached to any of the many managers Chelsea are sure to employ during the next few years. We tend to go through them regularly.

Need to come out in the 2nd half with the same energy we had in the first. Feels like there's a chance on the left side of the pitch - Pulisic needs to be a little cleaner with his 2nd touch and I'd like to see Barkley or Abraham come on for Giroud. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Need to come out in the 2nd half with the same energy we had in the first. Feels like there's a chance on the left side of the pitch - Pulisic needs to be a little cleaner with his 2nd touch and I'd like to see Barkley or Abraham come on for Giroud

Nope. Maybe Bats, not Barkley up top.

I’d have been fine with anyone putting the game away, but that never felt likely.

They deserved that goal based on the sum of the match. No idea who or what Zouma was marking there.

Lotta match left. We need to get out of this funk and make a run at getting the points.

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

I’d have been fine with anyone putting the game away, but that never felt likely.

They deserved that goal based on the sum of the match. No idea who or what Zouma was marking there.

Lotta match left. We need to get out of this funk and make a run at getting the points.

yeah, that wasn't on Zouma, that was on Dave. Zouma wasn't marking anyone just like you don't mark anyone in a zone.

yeah, that wasn't on Zouma, that was on Dave. Zouma wasn't marking anyone just like you don't mark anyone in a zone.

Well the color guy called out that you have to attack the ball in zonal marking vs standing still, which I took as criticism of Zouma. He wasn’t tracking the ball at all. He stood still in his spot and jumped at the ball from there.

I don’t think either one of them defended it particularly well, hence the goal being scored.

Dave can see who is infront of him, Zouma cannot see what is behind him and if Zouma steps into that lane, it's likely a PK. Dave simply needs to step up into that lane and jump, foul on LCFC. He didn't and expected the ball to come to him.

Zouma can see the ball and is fine as long as that’s what he’s playing. As one of two CB’s he needs to show more awareness and make that a more difficult shot.

I’m not saying Dave played it well, but you can’t put it 100% on him either.

Azpi struggled all game. Starting to feel like shades of Brana back in 2015-16 sadly. Love the guy but he doesn't suit this system as a starter. Either Reece James once healthy needs to start for us/get some minutes or we need a new right back. Azpi been great for us over the years, but its clear he cant keep up with the pace in this system and we saw shades of it back last season too.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Haha, I think this describes the season thus far outside of the pool game.

t37my49plkh31.jpg

The 2nd half against Leicester was so fucking bad. I get that Lampard doesn't have the best personnel to work with but how do we come out so sharp in the first 15' and then look like warmed up dog shit after that? That has to be somewhat on coaching, right? The announcers kept parroting that, tactically, Leicester was giving Chelsea fits in the 2nd half, but I wasn't sure whether to believe that or simply blame it on poor individual play in the midfield and final third. 

I know someone made the point upthread, but there is just no one right now that scares you playing a ball in from either wing. Set pieces haven't been great either. 

Hopefully most of it is a lack of chemistry and a lot of youth in those positions, but it doesn't look super promising through 2 matches. Saturday needs to be 3 points. 

This really describes the issue. There is a debate as to if the answer is moving the back line forward, switching to a 4-3-3 or maybe the subs were wrong. As well, the fatigue factor from playing 120 vs Pool sprouted up. We also haven't played 4-2-3-1 and people suggest growing pains.

It's too early to really know, but that gap needs fixed.

33 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

What’s the plan with Batshuayi? Obviously a waste of his time to playing against 17 year olds and he has a $35m value on transfermarkt. 

I bet he starts in the cup games. There are rumors that he just doesn't do what he is asked. Simply runs out and plays how he is going to play. I don't know if there is any substance to it. With only Giroud and Tammy, no way we let him go. He was only doing the U23 thing to get a game in I'm guessing.

Pulisic to Mount - crosses the ball to his right foot - BACK OF THE NET! 2-1 Blues!

Pulisic playing very well early - involved in both goals. Nothing but clean touches in the final third. 

(and obviously fantastic finishes from both Tammy and Mount)

Edited by ztejas