Holy War 2019 :: Utah @ BYU

Hagbard Celine

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

And I think we can call this 10 in a row.

Sitake seems like a good dude, but things have to be getting dicey for him, right?

I think he seems like a great dude. But honestly, what is byu supposed to do?  Their main rival is in a P5. Their red headed step child has beaten them 3 out of 4 and technically has a shot at a new years day bowl as of today. Fuck, Boise State has made them their bitch. 

And they are playing for what?  Hawaii bowl?  They play liberty, Idaho state and UMass in November. 

And, they have to hire a card carrying member as a head coach. And Andy Reid isn't walking through that door. 

That being said, fuck byu. I hope rocky top mudholes them next week. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And I think we can call this 10 in a row.

Sitake seems like a good dude, but things have to be getting dicey for him, right?

He's handicapped as a coach and recruiter at BYU with 1. the honor code, (hard to recruit athletes that don't want to drink, smoke pot or have premarital sex 2. the high academic requirements to get in (athletes face a higher qualification criteria gpa wise then Stanford....)  3 and the football and athlletic program is micromanaged by the administration and a spineless athletic director who hired himself and 4. a program mindset/culture that puts too much emphasis on the character of the athletes it allows into its program.  

1 minute ago, pops said:

I think he seems like a great dude. But honestly, what is byu supposed to do?  Their main rival is in a P5. Their red headed step child has beaten them 3 out of 4 and technically has a shot at a new years day bowl as of today. Fuck, Boise State has made them their bitch. 

And they are playing for what?  Hawaii bowl?  They play liberty, Idaho state and UMass in November. 

And, they have to hire a card carrying member as a head coach. And Andy Reid isn't walking through that door. 

That being said, fuck byu. I hope rocky top mudholes them next week. 

I've got a few really close Mormon friends, I hope BYU stays competitive. I was really excited about adding BYU and Cincy to the Big XII for selfish reasons - I have ties to both places.

As it stands now, yeah there's just not a lot there for recruits.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I've got a few really close Mormon friends, I hope BYU stays competitive. I was really excited about adding BYU and Cincy to the Big XII for selfish reasons - I have ties to both places.

As it stands now, yeah there's just not a lot there for recruits.

BYU needs to do what TCU, USC, etc have done and give up on its dumb standards, so that 1. they can get in a P5 conference (lets be real, they aren't in one because of the church and politics, though they are basically a P5 program in every metric) and allow the athletic program to be ran like a major athletic program that it is and to bring in more and better athletes...  

Edited by TeddyBearStallion
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

BYU needs to do what TCU, USC, etc have done and give up on its dumb standards, so that 1. they can get in a P5 conference (lets be real, they aren't in one because of the church and politics, though they are basically a P5 program in every metric) and allow the athletic program to be ran like a major athletic program that it is and to bring in more and better athletes...  

You know the brethren will never do that. They will shut it down like they did at ricks before they allow that to happen. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Gunner Romney - gotta be a 9/10 Mormon name there. Only hamstrung by not having a y in it.

Romneys were polygamists (?) that were sent down by BY to Mexico to settle that area around Juarez?  Lots of Romneys in what is called "The Mormon Colonies" and in Arizona.   A fairly sizeable population of white Mexicans...

2 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Luckily, there’s cousin(?) Baylor Romney on the roster.

Peak Mormon names this year include Moroni Laulu-Pututau and Ammon Hannemann.

Would have had Britain Covey had BYU not had Robert Anae as OC.   He's the grandson of Stephen R. Covey and they were a BYU Legacy family, but Anae and Bronco had to rub people the wrong way and he ends up at Utah.  

7 hours ago, TeddyBearStallion said:

He's handicapped as a coach and recruiter at BYU with 1. the honor code, (hard to recruit athletes that don't want to drink, smoke pot or have premarital sex 2. the high academic requirements to get in (athletes face a higher qualification criteria gpa wise then Stanford....)  3 and the football and athlletic program is micromanaged by the administration and a spineless athletic director who hired himself and 4. a program mindset/culture that puts too much emphasis on the character of the athletes it allows into its program.  

Was this not the case during the LaVell Edwards era?