Thanksgiving Recipes

LW Goatman

I wanted to posrep that post but just couldn't do it with the "I hate pumpkin pie" bit. 

Recipe please. That looks great. 

I am glad you like pumpkin pie. I know many folks do. I didn’t hate on it. It only pisses me off when that’s the only dessert. My dad hated it, taught me to hate it. Same with sweet potato hate. He didn’t teach me to hate black folks, for which I’m thankful, but he had strong feelings about Plymouth owners and Dallas.

I have no issue with anyone liking it I put it in my personal dislikes part rather than the things I believe deserve universal loathing. And I’ve not seen anyone asking for recipes or proudly showing off some aunt Myrtle Mae’s holiday congealed salad. (Wait! Could someone out there be mixing up a pumpkin pie congealed salad?)
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

My only conclusion after having a small batch to taste test, is don’t be afraid to add plenty of salt in the “salt and pepper to taste” step. Caveat being that my in-laws only had table salt which I’m always afraid to add too much of, but a couple of cranks on top of my test batch proved useful. I’m going to add a handful of cranks of sea salt tomorrow before mixing again and rebaking, but it definitely needed some. 

100% true. It depends on the cornbread, the broth you use, whether you use salted butter, the tostadas how you like it, etc.

I’ve used anywhere from zero to a tablespoon. 

14 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I am glad you like pumpkin pie. I know many folks do. I didn’t hate on it. It only pisses me off when that’s the only dessert. My dad hated it, taught me to hate it. Same with sweet potato hate. He didn’t teach me to hate black folks, for which I’m thankful, but he had strong feelings about Plymouth owners and Dallas.

I have no issue with anyone liking it I put it in my personal dislikes part rather than the things I believe deserve universal loathing. And I’ve not seen anyone asking for recipes or proudly showing off some aunt Myrtle Mae’s holiday congealed salad. (Wait! Could someone out there be mixing up a pumpkin pie congealed salad?)

I am with you on the sweet potatoes. I can handle fries, but most of the casserole dishes are just terrible stuff. My BIL is bringing a sp-based side, and as I recall from the past it is tolerable and involves like horseradish or something.  

There’s only 4 of us, so we’re hitting a fancy hotel buffet at Hyatt Lost Pines: sure, all the regular stuff, plus prime rib, oysters, lobster Mac and cheese. No cooking this year, which means none of my mom’s oyster dressing recipe (uses fresh ones, not canned - yeesh). I may make some at Christmas.
I made some nice mushroom, avocado, and Västerbottensost (a kickass Swedish cheese, like a firmer and sharper Swiss) omelettes to tide us over till we eat late afternoon. Love a good omelette.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Recipe please. That looks great. 

my mom made this cake my entire life. before her anorexia it was my niece's favorite thing as a child... once when she was like seven my mom made one and wrapped it in fancy cellophane with a bow and gave it to her as a Christmas present 😄 simpler, easier times ❤️

i love having it in mom's original handwriting...

20231123_103926.thumb.jpg.1a2c1ed3db39219c4d95abf45d3df761.jpg20231123_103934.thumb.jpg.297671be0229b00171c436820988b8b0.jpg

my adds this year: about 1t vanilla to butter/sugar; sprinkled a tiny bit of brown sugar in bottom of the buttered bundt pan before i added the batter to get just a little caramel-y on the bottom(top); and obviously the drizzle of cream cheese icing 😊

everybody went nuts over it last year, so i'll report back on the modifications 😛

• Like 3

On 11/13/2023 at 7:33 PM, dcbc said:

I made a turkey gravy credited to Anthony Bourdain that was in Food & Wine in 2016.  I started by roasting a small, "stunt turkey" on Sunday.  I Reserved the pan drippings and vegetables from the pan (Carrots, celery, onion), and made stock from the carcass. 

The gravy is excellent.  Here's the recipe:

2 shallots (chopped)

3 quarts of Turkey stock

2 Cups of dry, red wine.

Add the above to a pot and simmer until reduced by one-half.  Strain, and set aside.

In a large sauce pan over moderate heat, melt a stick of butter and add 1/2 cup of flour.  Stir until golden brown.  Add back the reduced wine/stock mixture.  Add 1/4 cup of pan drippings.  Simmer until you reach a desired thickness, whisking occasionally.  This took a while.  When you get to the desired thickness, add 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp of fish sauce.  Stir this in, and add salt and pepper to taste. 

Supposedly, it freezes well.  That's what I did.

Damn, this reduction is takin forever. Glad there was some extra wine left in the bottle. 

The regular cranberry sauce maker didn’t do theirs so I made some this morning-

12 Oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup sugar (I used turbinado)
pinch sea salt
1 cup water
1 jalapeño, chopped fine, seeds and veins removed
Zest of one orange
3 oz Aperol

put it it all in a saucepan, heat to a low boil and let the berries pop for a few mins, then  simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 mins or until the berries are very soft. 

cool to room temp or refrigerate, up to you. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

my mom made this cake my entire life. before her anorexia it was my niece's favorite thing as a child... once when she was like seven my mom made one and wrapped it in fancy cellophane with a bow and gave it to her as a Christmas present simpler, easier times
i love having it in mom's original handwriting...
20231123_103926.thumb.jpg.1a2c1ed3db39219c4d95abf45d3df761.jpg20231123_103934.thumb.jpg.297671be0229b00171c436820988b8b0.jpg
my adds this year: about 1t vanilla to butter/sugar; sprinkled a tiny bit of brown sugar in bottom of the buttered bundt pan before i added the batter to get just a little caramel-y on the bottom(top); and obviously the drizzle of cream cheese icing
everybody went nuts over it last year, so i'll report back on the modifications

Do they even teach cursive anymore? I had a nice hand in fifth grade. Now my handwriting might as well be a Jackson pollack art piece.

I love my grandmother’s and mom’s handwritten recipes in their handwriting. That one room school house in Groesbeck for my grandmother might not have been Harvard in 1910 but they sure as hell taught reading writing and ciphering.

I also like the old school ingredients. Like when margarine, by law, could not have yellow food coloring in it to protect the dairy lobby. It came with a packet of dye to mix in if you so desired. Oleo back then. My great grandmother had 14 kids. Made dozens of biscuits thru the day. When canned biscuits came out my great grandfather never again got a homemade biscuit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

No particular recipe to disclose, just need to rant about how much I hate cooking turkeys.

I stuck a frozen 13-pounder in my refrigerator Saturday morning.  Five days later, it was pretty much still frozen.  So, I looked up how to cook a frozen turkey.  Turns out it's possible, and can even work well.  It just takes longer.  So, I followed the instructions, carefully measuring temperature, it's starting to look good, and voila!  wallah!  all of a sudden the breast is about 180 F near the skin, it's at 164 F near the bone, and the thigh is at 140 F.  This thing is gonna suck.  I covered up the roasting pan and I'm hoping for the best, but fuck turkeys.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I stuck a frozen 13-pounder in my refrigerator Saturday morning.  Five days later, it was pretty much still frozen.  So, I looked up how to cook a frozen turkey. 

That ain’t right. Did mine same. Pulled it out this morning and the wings were still a bit frozen and the back. Dunked it in a lot of water for a few minutes and every thing was loosened up. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That ain’t right. Did mine same. Pulled it out this morning and the wings were still a bit frozen and the back. Dunked it in a lot of water for a few minutes and every thing was loosened up. 

I think my refrigerator is running cold.  Last week I heard a horrible noise in the middle of the night, sounded like a motor going bad, but it was still cold by morning.  I suspect the motor that drives the baffle between the freezer and refrigerator may be toast so the 'fridge is on full artic blast.  No liquids are freezing but they're damn cold.