Big XII Coaches' Almost Midseason Rankings

phdhorn

All the usual chatter about fire Tom immediately and hire Larry Eustachy or whomever's available got me thinking about where Terribad Tommy and the other overpaid schlumps line up so far this year, although of course anything could happen (even at - gasp!  - Texas) and the ship could sail into the conference title for at least 7 of these guys.

Top 10 lists suck.  But so what.

10.  Wells - too early to know but so far not a lot of improvement there, I would think they'll improve down the road, but for now, sorry, new kid has to get the "earn it" moniker.
9.  Aranda - again, unproven rookie, not seeing a lot of good fundamentals in Rapeco yet, if Ruhle was still here he'd be like #3 in this list
8.  Miles - so he's got, and might always have, minus-4 star players right now, but has a sort of funky pedigree, even with the entertaining boneheaders
7.  Mensa - smartest guy in the room - if the room is in a special school
6.  Campbell - good fundamentals guy who just needs some consistent talent to come to the moo cow fields to play
5.  Brown - this is a very good coach just getting his feet wet, who will within a year or two put the Mountaineers in annual contention late in the season - watch them.
4.  Gundy - high 2nd tier guy who knows the game well, just can't get the defense he needs to go to the playoffs - ever.  I think he'll quit/be canned soon, though.
3.  Klieman - this guy knows football, knows how to win - and if you ask me, K-State is the current (IMHO) conference favorite, big time.  Look for him to get picked up at a bigger school.
2.  Patterson - sorry, Mr. Slim is maybe the best mind in the Little Twelve Minus Two, if he had more results would be #1.  Only flaw is he picks lousy characters at times.  If Cumbie stays, he might start winning titles, but I doubt he will.
1.  Riley  - c'mon, as much as this pains me... scoreboard.  Didn't lose a step when Bag'O'Bob farted away, is phenomenal with offense.   Their defense SUCKS but is never a problem when you score 195 points a game because your head coach essentially runs the best offense in the Big XII in the past 3-4 years.  If results were worse I'd put him maybe halfway down at worst.  This guys does know what he's doing, unlike some people.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Your top-rated coach is 1-2.  I know you acknowledged that Top 10 lists suck, but c'mon.  I get it if you are looking at their overall stint at that school, but thread title is Midseason Rankings.

But, I did enjoy the commentary, thank you for posting.

I wasn't thinking specifically performance just this year (if that were true I'd just rank 'em by their standings, which is almost the way it is anyway), I'm thinking more in terms of overall capability, but yeah, this season factors in a bit, but even if OU finally has a sucky year (which they probably will now, overall I'd drop him a few spots say in December.  But just in terms of my overall feeling about their abilities, I guess I'm looking at that.  Just MO, I had nothing better to do on a Sunday morning.

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I wasn't thinking specifically performance just this year (if that were true I'd just rank 'em by their standings, which is almost the way it is anyway), I'm thinking more in terms of overall capability, but yeah, this season factors in a bit, but even if OU finally has a sucky year (which they probably will now, overall I'd drop him a few spots say in December.  But just in terms of my overall feeling about their abilities, I guess I'm looking at that.  Just MO, I had nothing better to do on a Sunday morning.

This year alone and Riley is #10.  He's blown two 4th quarter leads.  And all he can do is throw temper tantrums on the sidelines.

• Hook 'Em 1

One of those coaches on your list is 3-0 (midseason or whatever we are now) and has his team ranked sixth in total defense...

Going back he's also 5-3 vs Patterson.... And he's 73-34 vs Patterson's record of 64-41 since they've been in the same conference.

Not at all trying to say Gundy's all world or that he doesn't do some really dumb shit sometimes but I think some of you guys maybe giving Patterson too much credit because you just lost to him?

45 minutes ago, bullet said:

Patterson is the best in the league hands down.  Nobody has done so much with the hand he's been dealt.

Patterson's 2014 team that kicked #9 Ole Miss' ass 42-3 in the Peach Bowl was salty as fuck. He would never come to Texas, but it would be fun to see what kind of defenses he could field with the talent recruited to Texas.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

All the usual chatter about fire Tom immediately and hire Larry Eustachy or whomever's available got me thinking about where Terribad Tommy and the other overpaid schlumps line up so far this year, although of course anything could happen (even at - gasp!  - Texas) and the ship could sail into the conference title for at least 7 of these guys.

Top 10 lists suck.  But so what.

10.  Wells - too early to know but so far not a lot of improvement there, I would think they'll improve down the road, but for now, sorry, new kid has to get the "earn it" moniker.
9.  Aranda - again, unproven rookie, not seeing a lot of good fundamentals in Rapeco yet, if Ruhle was still here he'd be like #3 in this list
8.  Miles - so he's got, and might always have, minus-4 star players right now, but has a sort of funky pedigree, even with the entertaining boneheaders
7.  Mensa - smartest guy in the room - if the room is in a special school
6.  Campbell - good fundamentals guy who just needs some consistent talent to come to the moo cow fields to play
5.  Brown - this is a very good coach just getting his feet wet, who will within a year or two put the Mountaineers in annual contention late in the season - watch them.
4.  Gundy - high 2nd tier guy who knows the game well, just can't get the defense he needs to go to the playoffs - ever.  I think he'll quit/be canned soon, though.
3.  Klieman - this guy knows football, knows how to win - and if you ask me, K-State is the current (IMHO) conference favorite, big time.  Look for him to get picked up at a bigger school.
2.  Patterson - sorry, Mr. Slim is maybe the best mind in the Little Twelve Minus Two, if he had more results would be #1.  Only flaw is he picks lousy characters at times.  If Cumbie stays, he might start winning titles, but I doubt he will.
1.  Riley  - c'mon, as much as this pains me... scoreboard.  Didn't lose a step when Bag'O'Bob farted away, is phenomenal with offense.   Their defense SUCKS but is never a problem when you score 195 points a game because your head coach essentially runs the best offense in the Big XII in the past 3-4 years.  If results were worse I'd put him maybe halfway down at worst.  This guys does know what he's doing, unlike some people.

Can’t tell if this is a joke or not.  You have a 1-2 coach with arguably the most talent in the league as number one?!  I get it he is a great OC. That means shit as hc if he ignored the other side of the ball

You have Mensa ranked too high, I’m not sure but he might be the worst HC in the conference.   That’s not sour grapes after a shitty loss, it’s more looking at it objectively.

Hcs j#1 job is hire good assistants, constantly be on the look to replace guys who get poached and fire deadbeats.   Well, he sucked ass at building his staff, had to fire most of them under duress after 3 years of sucking, and still didn’t get them all out.   Then he went out underwhelmed again.

Talent.  UT has more talent across the board than all but OU and it’s close enough to argue both ways.  Matt Rhule was probably the best recent example of what a good coach is capable of doing at a program, Mensa is pretty much the opposite of that.

Hes not a leader, he’s an immature, insecure introvert who would be better suited in a career OC role. He’s just not serious HC material.  Miles is a better coach than Mensa.   Hell, at this point I would rather poach chapel hill again than keep Mensa.