What is my name?

Other than this forum, I have been using the same username for almost everything for years including throwaway email addresses, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc.  Today, I got an email that someone had logged into my Discover account and tried to change the password and email address.  No harm done in this case, but now I'm thinking everything is vulnerable, especially if they manage to get a password.  I have a hard enough time just managing passwords and I can't imagine trying to remember a bunch of different usernames.

How do the rest of you mange this?  Do you use different logins for everything?  How do you remember all this shit?

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You can get a password manager like lastpass.

Does that manage usernames too?  I'm really an idiot on this stuff and have tried to keep it simple which has served me well for 20 something years, but I'm concerned enough now to try something else, realizing I may have to pay for security too.

1 minute ago, BottleRocket said:

I use LastPass but concerned that getting hacked on that will be losing the keys to the kingdom. Take advantage of two stage authentication whenever available.

That brings up another question.  I have a few accounts with two stage authentication, but what happens if you lose your phone?  I can see that being a situation where you really need access to an account and then you're completely locked out, because you can't authenticate anything.

I just use a spreadsheet to keep track of my different usernames and passwords (along with security questions, etc.) for the different websites/accounts.  I print it out and keep it in a secured place just in case my computer and backup fail.

XYZ Bank / username / password / security question answers

I use 1Password.  Keeps user names, passwords, identity information, credit cards, etc.   You log into 1Password on your computer and then you can easily log into your various accounts.  Since getting 1Password, I've strengthened several passwords with its password generator.

Of course there is always a potential that a password saving site is going to get hacked, so... no great answer.

I maintain a couple of contacts on my phone that are my account & PW info & that is saved in the notes & I refer to that when needed.

15 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Does that manage usernames too?  I'm really an idiot on this stuff and have tried to keep it simple which has served me well for 20 something years, but I'm concerned enough now to try something else, realizing I may have to pay for security too.

Yes it does.  It's handy for remembering stuff (you don't have to), but as others have noted, if someone gets into your lastpass, game over.

16 hours ago, PhillyD said:

Other than this forum, I have been using the same username for almost everything for years including throwaway email addresses, bank accounts, retirement accounts, etc.  Today, I got an email that someone had logged into my Discover account and tried to change the password and email address.  No harm done in this case, but now I'm thinking everything is vulnerable, especially if they manage to get a password.  I have a hard enough time just managing passwords and I can't imagine trying to remember a bunch of different usernames.

How do the rest of you mange this?  Do you use different logins for everything?  How do you remember all this shit?

I basically keep a list of passwords on a piece of paper taped near the computer, with all the English words translated into Spanish, and the whole thing written in cursive Greek letters, except I do the numbers as Roman numbers, and if the numbers are for something like a combo lock I'll enter them as Base 9 or some shit. Also, I sometimes use part of a guy's name who reminds me of my dad's dad except the name is not my dad's dad's name. I will indicate the non-dad's-dad's name with a dash mark.

After you read what I just wrote, you probably think I made it up and I am fucking with you. I did not make it up, and I am not fucking with you.

OH! OH! OH! I also have a pin number for a card I seldom use, written on a scrap of paper in my wallet with several phone numbers of people scrawled on it. The PIN is part of the alleged phone # for a friend who is dead.

I feel so clever I could just shit myself.

And in my phone I changed "Mom" to her actual name so that when I get kidnapped in Mexico maybe they don't call her while they are hacking me to bits in the background. Maybe I will change somebody's name I don't much like to "Mom".