Recomend me a new (slightly used) four wheel drive pickup

Do they make pickups with AWD? Because that would probably work too.

Will be used as combo family car with some work use. Work involves occasional light off-roading and frequent driving on gravel fire roads and lightly maintained two-track roads. No towing of heavy loads, will be used on occasional ice and snow. Need decent clearance.

This would replace our family Subaru wagon (no lesbo), and an old beater, 2 seater, 4wd Tacoma work truck which is older than some of y'all and been driven almost to the moon with a lot of those miles being not on pavement (I'm tired of repairing it). 

I do a lot of my own maintenance and repairs, so ease of fixing would be nice, which is why I like the old Taco so much.

Sounds like another Taco would fit the bill?

On 12/1/2020 at 8:24 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Not pretty but they are good solid trucks.

A guy I used to work with had a few on their ranch.  Those things were indestructible.  His shitheel friends and family would get drunk and beat the fuck out of them and they’d keep on ticking.  I’m talking more money than sense let’s try to break this just because abuse and they never could.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Small to mid size 4X4 pickups out there that are slightly used are slim pickings compared to their full size  counterparts  

People who get  Toyota Tacos seem to keep them for a long time and the resale market tells you this when you the differences in prices between Tacos and the others like GM, Nissan, etc. All with comparable equipment and mileage.  A few years ago when my oldest started driving I started looking  at all of them and the price difference between the Taco and Frontier were remarkable  and really got larger with the Ranger and Chevy.  Ended up getting him a decent low mileage Frontier which was owned by a Senior Citizen.   My son was like hey that's an old persons truck, but we took off the running boards and did some other things to it to make it look more sporty if you will.  LOL  

Plus you have to recall it wasn't until the last four or five years, the automakers just started putting new lifeblood into their small to medium pickups.  Ford brought back and redesigned the Ranger...   GM's Colorado/Canyon actually looks like a a nice vehicle vs their previous attempts.   Nissan and Ram are introducing redesigns of their small/mid size pickup in 2021.   So the used inventory is not just there yet with the improved products.   

On 12/3/2020 at 9:21 AM, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like another Taco would fit the bill?

A guy I used to work with had a few on their ranch.  Those things were indestructible.  His shitheel friends and family would get drunk and beat the fuck out of them and they’d keep on ticking.  I’m talking more money than sense let’s try to break this just because abuse and they never could.  

I bought a 2018 a couple years ago, I love taking it fishing on the beach or back roads to marshes and lakes.  I take care of it maintenance wise, but it was cheap enough that IDGAF about getting it dirty.  

Thanks fellas. I'll look into a ridgeline. Hadn't really considered that possibility.

I kind of assumed that I'd just get another Taco if I could find a used late model with relatively low miles.

Flattie, all those terrorist assholes driving around in the desert with machine guns mounted in the back are driving a Toyota Hilux, which is what the Taco is called in europe and asia. Because they are indestructible.

Judge, how did you find your 2018? 4wd? Was it new?

I was considering a Frontier as an option as well.

Whatever i get, I want that "generation" to have been around for a while. Our subaru was an early model of a redesigned generation, and shit just keeps breaking on it. Not major stuff, just minor irritation stuff (power windows are hinky, horn stopped working, heated seats stopped working, etc). I want all those kinks to have been worked out on whatever year/model I buy.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Thanks fellas. I'll look into a ridgeline. Hadn't really considered that possibility.

I kind of assumed that I'd just get another Taco if I could find a used late model with relatively low miles.

Flattie, all those terrorist assholes driving around in the desert with machine guns mounted in the back are driving a Toyota Hilux, which is what the Taco is called in europe and asia. Because they are indestructible.

Judge, how did you find your 2018? 4wd? Was it new?

I was considering a Frontier as an option as well.

Whatever i get, I want that "generation" to have been around for a while. Our subaru was an early model of a redesigned generation, and shit just keeps breaking on it. Not major stuff, just minor irritation stuff (power windows are hinky, horn stopped working, heated seats stopped working, etc). I want all those kinks to have been worked out on whatever year/model I buy.

I bought mine new in 2018, it’s a 4x4 midnight edition like the pic below.  I paid like $28.5k out the door.  The 2019s are the exact same truck, the 2020 has a new engine and transmission so stay away from those.  Like I said it’s an old body style and not many frills, but mine has heated seats, SiriusXM, backup camera and a towing package, so pretty much everything I need for what I use it for.  Aside from being cheap, the main selling point for me was a 13 year old engine, drivetrain and electronic platform, which meant almost all the kinks have been worked out.   Any problem you’re likely to have is predictable and easy to fix.

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

2 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Oh I’m familiar with the Hilux, I spent a bit of time down under, working on Barrow island.   I was speaking to the frontiers, apologies if I wasn’t clear. I know the tacos are pretty indestructible. Had buddies in high school that did their best to destroy them to no avail.