The Cook-off Thread

Paco

Does anyone give a shit? Well here it is just in case. All cook-offs welcome, BBQ, chili, general office chest thumping contests, etc.

We'll be cooking at the Buda Weiner dog races this weekend. If you're out there come by and see us, I'll put some meat in your mouth. Luke Duke come down and cook my chicken. Thanks. 3841f5b28918db16f4347bacfc505191.jpgd7a32d5b94d25df0d8b2da71eb941b9b.jpg7092725c450f7a965965380ad3ef872b.jpg

1 hour ago, Paco said:

So, hypothetically... would you make fun of someone if they went to a bbq cook off and didn't bring any salt? Asking for a friend.

Not only make fun of them, make them go get some, and then make fun of them some more.  So many variations of "salty" would be on display.

On 4/30/2018 at 3:35 PM, luke duke said:

He’s used to it

Hey fuck you Luke! 

I mean you're right, but fuck you all the same!

11th place in brisket (out of 57). Which is weird because I thought my brisket sucked, but such is the crapshoot of a bbq cook off I guess. 

I thought my ribs had the best chance, but no call. Had a blast though, it's turned into a great party, and it's pretty well organized for a cook-off. 

• Like 1

Unless it's a sanctioned cook-off, the judges are whoever they could find to do it.  And lots of the time, they don't know shit about BBQ.  The last one I went to that some friends were doing, their chicken was excellent and their brisket was just plain bad.  The chicken didn't place and the brisket got 5th.

Edited by kevwun

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

Unless it's a sanctioned cook-off, the judges are whoever they could find to do it.  And lots of the time, they don't know shit about BBQ.  The last one I went to that some friends were doing, their chicken was excellent and their brisket was just plain bad.  The chicken didn't place and the brisket got 5th.

From what I saw this was sanctioned by IBCA

This shit right here^^. One of the cooks from another team said he saw a bunch of "kids" judging brisket. Oh well, even playing field. Like I said, it's usually a total crapshoot

On 5/3/2018 at 1:51 PM, Doc Holliday said:

that's crap. they should always provide feedback. 

Has anyone else gotten feedback at an actual cookoff?

Didn't even know that was possible, they'd have to take notes and match the notes to the ticket numbers. 

2 hours ago, Air_Matt said:

Has anyone else gotten feedback at an actual cookoff?

Didn't even know that was possible, they'd have to take notes and match the notes to the ticket numbers. 

KCBS does

The last KCBS comp I did chicken didn't have enough bite through and crispy skin, no call.  Pork ribs got called and also needed more spice to sweet, brisket got called and needed less pepper, and pulled pork was too dry, no call.

Edited by Doc Holliday

17 hours ago, Doc Holliday said:

KCBS does

The last KCBS comp I did chicken didn't have enough bite through and crispy skin, no call.  Pork ribs got called and also needed more spice to sweet, brisket got called and needed less pepper, and pulled pork was too dry, no call.

That's cool, wish we could get feedback in Texas. 

Gotten calls when we thought we shouldn't and of course didn't get them when we thought we would. Best we did was a second place brisket and third place ribs in the same comp. 

• 11 months later...

Paco won't brag on himself but his ribs got 1st place at the Horn Bash cookoff this weekend at Buck's Backyard.  If the peoples choice contest hadn't washed away in Onion Creek on Friday night we would have won that too for my Dads Bubba Balls.  Team Secondhand Smokers was on point!

• Fuck You 1