ACC Championship - why?

MIkeHoncho

On 12/13/2020 at 9:43 AM, Landomatic said:

Where the committee puts USC this week is going to be pretty telling.  If they move them to somewhere around 6th-ish, that tells me they're positioning them to move them into the top 4 with a conference championship game win. If they keep them down closer to where they are now, like maybe around 12th-ish, they probably can't make that big of a leap with them in the final week.

If they put Ohio State at 4.. USC should be 5, 6th at the lowest.  Both are 5-0 and have played nobody. Why Ohio State gets the benefit of the doubt is beyond me.. besides the obvious reasons like preseason rankings, TV $, exposure, ratings etc. I am surprised the committee has been gun shy on USC as they have never made the playoffs, and this would be an opportunity for new blood and to represent all corners of the country. A conference champion undefeated 6-0 USC should def. jump aggy if that 4th spot becomes available. Now, should a 2 loss Big 12 champion Iowa state / OU who played twice as many games as USC get in over Pac-12 Champ USC &/or aggy? Not sure, although either Big 12 champion will have more top 25 wins than aggy or USC.

• Hook 'Em 1

The epidemic would have been the perfect time to expand, even if temporary. Could have expanded by two teams with the top seeds getting a bye. But no, the assholes in charge refuse move forward. Instead they would rather trot out the bullshit bowls. Bowls that probably lose money and no one watches. Plus they are getting cancelled anyway.

With lots of places still shut down, you would have had a captive audience to boost the ratings. Damn shame

Cincy not even having a realistic chance is bullshit.

Edited by Brothahorn

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

No. I think another game against a good opponent (Tulsa, OU, ISU) is a chance for another data point that can help shore up a team's resume. I think that's about all it is. The CFP has already shown us year after year that it isn't about conference champions. It's about branding, eye test, body of work, and to an extent TV ratings.

And sure aggy doesn't look like some world-beater. But they also haven't lost to 2 teams wildly inferior to Bama. LSU just beat Florida - that game was never in doubt for aggy. They wound up handling Auburn pretty easily. The Vandy game was WTF but there was a lot of WTF early this season across the board. If they kick the shit out of Tennessee then I'm not sure I see a universe where OU or ISU somehow jumps them. And the CFP has already made it clear they aren't letting Cincy in, so, whatever.

We'll find out how they approach it but agree to disagree on how it should work. I think it's dumb to have a bunch of isolated round robins (conferences) and then have two teams from one round robin and 0 from another. No other sport on the planet does that - pro sports have divisions (and they even play each other), World Cup does round robins, etc. If you can't win your round robin, how can you complain about not making the next round? 

And the LSU-FL example is kind of my original point. Opponent records are basically a zero-sum game this year (other than Covid). LSU looks better but the FL win looks worse. By definition, every conference's cumulative record is .500. That's always true but this year there's no non-conference to tilt the scales. ISU is actually an exception because they actually have an extra top 25, non-conference opponent. 

4 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

We'll find out how they approach it but agree to disagree on how it should work

I'm not saying how it should work. I'm telling you how it does work.

It SHOULD be at least 8 teams with the 5 P5 champions getting autobids - 8th seed at worst - and there being 3 at large. 

Or even 6 teams with 5 autobids and one at large with the top 2 seeds getting a bye.

8 hours ago, UTEX_ME said:

If they put Ohio State at 4.. USC should be 5, 6th at the lowest.  Both are 5-0 and have played nobody. Why Ohio State gets the benefit of the doubt is beyond me..

Because tOSU has done nothing but hand out ass whippings aside from the game against IU who is easily better than anyone USC has played. 

If you want to give USC a bunch of credit for stumblefucking into a 5-0 record against a bunch of teams that would struggle to post a respectable record in the American then go ahead ig.

31 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

USC at 13 in the new rankings. Somehow Cincy drops a spot to 9, falling behind 2-loss UGA. Florida loses to a bad LSU team and only drops 1 place. What a joke. 

This... there is no justification for Florida at #7, none. 2 Loss Florida's only real "win" is against a Georgia team whose best win is likely Missouri.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/13/2020 at 9:43 AM, Landomatic said:

Where the committee puts USC this week is going to be pretty telling.  If they move them to somewhere around 6th-ish, that tells me they're positioning them to move them into the top 4 with a conference championship game win. If they keep them down closer to where they are now, like maybe around 12th-ish, they probably can't make that big of a leap with them in the final week.

12 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

USC at 13 in the new rankings. Somehow Cincy drops a spot to 9, falling behind 2-loss UGA. Florida loses to a bad LSU team and only drops 1 place. What a joke.

Well fuck, I guess we have our answer. Looks like aggy's getting in. Unless they lose to Tennessee or this ACC Championship game gets canceled, I don't see any other situation where they aren't in the CFP. Can't believe I'm even typing that. Still time for aggy to aggy it up (come on Tennessee) or ND/Clemson to get canceled (come on Rona).

13 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This... there is no justification for Florida at #7, none. 2 Loss Florida's only real "win" is against a Georgia team whose best win is likely Missouri.

SEC bias is real. UGA hasn't beat anyone. Aggy has beat more teams that fired their coach (3) than have a winning record (only 2). The whole conference is living off Bama's reputation.

UGA and FL are 7/8 while fellow 2 loss P5 teams OU and Iowa are 10 and 16. 6-1 Indiana and Northwestern are 11 and 14. 8-2 Miami is 18. 5-0 USC 13. 

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

SEC bias is real. UGA hasn't beat anyone. Aggy has beat more teams that fired their coach (3) than have a winning record (only 2). The whole conference is living off Bama's reputation.

UGA and FL are 7/8 while fellow 2 loss P5 teams OU and Iowa are 10 and 16. 6-1 Indiana and Northwestern are 11 and 14. 8-2 Miami is 18. 5-0 USC 13. 

Agreed, if Bama thumps Florida, I don't want to see any other SEC team but Bama. No one wants to see another known thumping, let us watch another conference / style of play.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Agreed, if Bama thumps Florida, I don't want to see any other SEC team but Bama. No one wants to see another known thumping, let us watch another conference / style of play.

Dumb Reason #6 is that the undefeated team could help out her conference by taking a dive in the CCG.  The penalty would be the conference gets to comprise half of the playoff. It's not a sure thing for the ACC, but the SEC could do it every year.