ACC Championship - why?

MIkeHoncho

All it takes is one well placed infected person around a few scrub players and the head lines in following days reads multiple players test positive on consecutive days. Game canceled.  You know the SEC would do this.

Edited by Horn80

I don't disagree OP, and I've wondered about it ever since all these cancellation of games and Ohio state being ranked 4th. It's almost better for Clemson and ND to just make the playoff game the ACC championship game. But maybe there is so much money in the ACC champ game that it is worth it to the ACC

7 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I think the Big XII game is even more unnecessary.  Just award it to ISU.

The Big 12 title -- in its current incarnation -- is superfluous pandemic or not.

Clemson is going to boat-race ND in the rematch, I think. If it's ugly, ND might not make it in.

7 hours ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

I think the Big XII game is even more unnecessary.  Just award it to ISU.

The guaranteed rematch after a round robin schedule is one of the dumbest ideas ever. It's up there with having a TV network that covers only one team in a conference instead of the whole conference. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

You’re joking right?  ND is about as blue blood as they come. You know, pretty much the exact opposite of aggy

Lol yeah they're a blue blood and it's showing in their crowing about joining a conference for one year and making the championship game. They'll be insufferable if they win it 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Lol yeah they're a blue blood and it's showing in their crowing about joining a conference for one year and making the championship game. They'll be insufferable if they win it 

I guess your definition of "aggy" and mine are different. One of the many reasons aggy is so insufferable is because they've never won anything, yet want to act like they're some kind of football powerhouse at the slightest hint of any success. ND is literally the opposite. You know, with their 11 national champions, 7 heisman winners, etc. If ND wins their conference, beating Clemson twice in the process and finish the season undefeated, and they want to be proud of it, there's nothing aggy about that.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

One of the many reasons aggy is so insufferable is because they've never won anything, yet want to act like they're some kind of football powerhouse at the slightest hint of any success.

This.  I was speaking with my aggy neighbor couple days ago that it was a shame aggy and Ohio State game didn’t happen.   He proceeded to go on and on about how Ohio State ducked them and never agree to play that game because they were scared to play aggy.  Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Edited by Horn80

The committee going to put in one loss Aggy over undefeated PAC 12 USC?

My guess is unfortunately they probably would though it would certainly help USC’s and the PAC 12’s chances if USC would go out there and actually dominate a game. However, even if that played out and with USC remaining undefeated and a conference champion, I could also understand the committee saying they don’t pass the eye test as I would vertically predict they would get killed by whoever they played in the playoffs.

Hope I’m wrong BTW.

21 minutes ago, mdleast said:

My guess is unfortunately they probably would though it would certainly help USC’s and the PAC 12’s chances if USC would go out there and actually dominate a game. However, even if that played out and with USC remaining undefeated and a conference champion, I could also understand the committee saying they don’t pass the eye test as I would vertically predict they would get killed by whoever they played in the playoffs.

Hope I’m wrong BTW.

Where the committee puts USC this week is going to be pretty telling.  If they move them to somewhere around 6th-ish, that tells me they're positioning them to move them into the top 4 with a conference championship game win. If they keep them down closer to where they are now, like maybe around 12th-ish, they probably can't make that big of a leap with them in the final week.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I guess your definition of "aggy" and mine are different. One of the many reasons aggy is so insufferable is because they've never won anything, yet want to act like they're some kind of football powerhouse at the slightest hint of any success. ND is literally the opposite. You know, with their 11 national champions, 7 heisman winners, etc. If ND wins their conference, beating Clemson twice in the process and finish the season undefeated, and they want to be proud of it, there's nothing aggy about that.

The original post suggested not playing the ACC Championship Game, so ND would win the conference by beating a severely depleted Clemson team and that's it. I said na, we can't let them win a conference in their only year in a conference or they'll be insufferable crowing about a BS achievement like aggy would. We agree, play the game, and if they beat a healthier Clemson team in the championship game then yes, they earned it and it's not like aggy. 

On 12/12/2020 at 7:45 PM, Doc Sam Beckett said:

We can't let ND win a conference championship, they'd act like aggy. 

On 12/12/2020 at 8:19 PM, Landomatic said:

You’re joking right?  ND is about as blue blood as they come. You know, pretty much the exact opposite of aggy

I dunno man.  I can't help but think of ways Covid destroys the playoff and gets us a MNC.

On 12/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, WBT said:

Big 12 was ahead of the curve!  We've been risking playoff berths on rematches for years.

Cost potential titles in 1996 and 1998. 

Close in 2009 (fuck Suh).  

Should have cost the conference potential title shots in 2001, 2003 if not for backdooring Nebraska in 2001 and OU in 2003.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:40 PM, MIkeHoncho said:

Seems it would be in the ACC's best interest to COVID this game.  No upside to playing -> other than of course the TV $$, but you risk one of the teams falling out of the playoff.  I think if they don't play, Clemson and ND are both in. 

The folks risking Covid aren't the ones getting the money.

I think you have to let Cincy in before USC. Assuming they take care of Tulsa in the AAC title game. Their body of work is much more impressive. 

Shit, so will the B12 title winner's be. And aggy's. Hating on atm is fun but they would get at least 7 points on a neutral field against USC and probably mudhole that team. The Pac12 is fucking terribad.

4 minutes ago, WBT said:

Someone explain why OSU can get in playing 6 games and USC can't

Because the CFP committee actually watches games that these teams play in. Or at the very least checks the box score.

tOSU would beat everyone on USC's schedule by 30 points. 

Idk how the committee handles this season. They're going to have pick - do conference championships matter (Bama, OSU, ND/Clemson, USC/ISU/Cincy), is it all eye test and who are actually the 4 best teams (clearly Bama, ND, Clemson, OSU), does quantity of games matter (cut OSU and USC)? 

The argument for someone like USC vs Aggy is that in a year where conferences don't play each other, there are no hard data points of comparison. If you are clearly not the best team in your conference, how can you be the best in the whole country? Basically, conferences should serve as a play-in to the playoffs. 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:01 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

The guaranteed rematch after a round robin schedule is one of the dumbest ideas ever. It's up there with having a TV network that covers only one team in a conference instead of the whole conference. 

Agreed.  Unfortunately it was pretty much forced onto the Big 12 because not everyone gets the same treatment as say your school.  No one is shifting the goal posts and falling all over themselves to find ways to let us in and just making up rules on the fly.

If there were some consistent and objective criteria as to who makes the playoffs, we wouldn't be playing this dumb game, and ISU would already have a trophy in the case.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

is it all eye test and who are actually the 4 best teams (clearly Bama, ND, Clemson, OSU),

They've always done it this way. They will do it this way this season, too. I'm not sure why you're under a different impression. At least one P5 conference champion gets left out every year by default. In more than one year multiple P5 conference champions have been left out. 

(And on your point about "no hard data points so how do we know" - no one that has actually watched most of these teams play every weekend would make that argument. If you think USC is a better team than aggy you should probably not join in the discussion)

Edited by ztejas

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

They've always done it this way. They will do it this way this season, too. I'm not sure why you're under a different impression. At least one P5 conference champion gets left out every year by default. In more than one year multiple P5 conference champions have been left out. 

(And on your point about "no hard data points so how do we know" - no one that has actually watched most of these teams play every weekend would make that argument. If you think USC is a better team than aggy you should probably not join in the discussion)

If Clemson loses again they're out even though they would still be favored over anyone not named Bama, OSU, or ND, and maybe even 1-2 of those. If ND loses by a lot, it gets interesting.

Fair on USC. But what about ISU and Cincy? Teams who you could argue have comparable merits based on win/loss alone and who also won their conference (assuming they do). Let's not pretend like Aggy has passed the eye test with flying colors (see Vandy, Bama, LSU, Auburn). I don't think it's so clear based on eye test that Aggy is better than those ISU, Cincy (admittedly I haven't watched them) or even OU if they win. So the question is on the margin, does a conference championship carry someone into the playoffs

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So the question is on the margin, does a conference championship carry someone into the playoffs

No. I think another game against a good opponent (Tulsa, OU, ISU) is a chance for another data point that can help shore up a team's resume. I think that's about all it is. The CFP has already shown us year after year that it isn't about conference champions. It's about branding, eye test, body of work, and to an extent TV ratings.

And sure aggy doesn't look like some world-beater. But they also haven't lost to 2 teams wildly inferior to Bama. LSU just beat Florida - that game was never in doubt for aggy. They wound up handling Auburn pretty easily. The Vandy game was WTF but there was a lot of WTF early this season across the board. If they kick the shit out of Tennessee then I'm not sure I see a universe where OU or ISU somehow jumps them. And the CFP has already made it clear they aren't letting Cincy in, so, whatever.