2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, but 1 match doesn’t determine the overall resume. What incentive does Texas have to schedule tough when a team below them in RPI and SOS got the 4 seed? 

If it’s just about stacking wins and only playing a couple decent teams that’s the route Texas should go if it’s rewarded. 

The Big 12 sucks. Only 2 teams made it in the top 64. We need to continue to schedule tough. We need to also schedule more matches, period. 

14 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I also think the plan was for us to split the home and home with Stanford but they won both matches. If we took care of business in Gregory both teams would be hosting. Good plan, poor execution 

Meh. Not sure how you can say it was poor execution when Texas finished 3rd in RPI. If I was in charge of the schedule I would say that's pretty damn good execution. The goal is to rig the schedule so you finish with a high rpi/sos. 

If rpi/sos are secondary to wins than the committee needs to make that clear. If a couple more wins against cupcakes matters more than a few more spots in rpi/sos you should adjust accordingly. 

I was hoping for the 4 seed but didn't think we would get it with the number of losses we had.   Honestly, I'd rather be going to Provo than to the other seeds' home courts anyways.

The team looks more confident and loose with Jhenna setting.  

And the hitters are smashing down balls now knowing they are going to be set a hittable ball every time they take off for their approach.

Back row play and serving have even improved. 

Teams are going to go after Jhenna's block, so the back row defense is just going to have to make adjustments...but I like our chances to make a deep run. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

The team looks more confident and loose with Jhenna setting.  

And the hitters are smashing down balls now knowing they are going to be set a hittable ball every time they take off for their approach.

gabriel's timing with the OHs has made such a difference.  the approaches from the beginning of the year to now are night and day.  could also be helping out with the service games.  when you're swinging well in the front line you're swinging well in the 1.

• Like 1

I can't blame Luketic. Moving to a new country to sit on the bench for 2 or 3 years can't be appealing.  

I also wonder if this was a mutual decision with Orie getting reps at the pins. I have no clue what the scholarship count is but seems like this could be a move made to pick up another setter in the offseason. 

I always thought we would lose one of Orie or Luketic. Doesn't make much sense to have both on the roster at this point. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Sad to see Katarina go...but that does open up a scholarship to pick up another hitter or another setter.  But if Shook decides to transfer, that would open up her scholarship as well.  

I'm not too worried about it.  Elliott and his staff made a lot of changes in this past off-season that have made this team successful this season.  So I'm sure he is already planning ahead.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Js1 said:

The Big 12 sucks. Only 2 teams made it in the top 64. We need to continue to schedule tough. We need to also schedule more matches, period. 

Not according to the RPI.  KU at #36 doesn't make the tourney.  Neither do #56 KSU or #64 Tech.  Baylor is #14 but won't get to host the 1st round.

BYU was #5 RPI BEFORE getting swept by LMU.  I doubt they'd be in the top 8 in any current update. The committee should just say that RPI doesn't matter and publish their criteria if this BS continues.

Pretty shitty we didn't get the 4 seed over BYU, but this team is starting to peak.  A graphic put up during the WVA game showed we're hitting .350 since Gabriel started ( with Yazzie at .450) as opposed to .300 for the season when Shook was starting.  Jhenna even got in on a couple blocks Saturday, and her timing with the middles has been great.  As long as we can play defense and stop giving away points at the service line (looking at you, Micaya), we can get past BYU in Provo.

In the matches since TCU, Texas has hit .377 with Jhenna setting full time.  In the matches before TCU, Texas hit .293 with Shook at setter.

The Horns also hit .394 in the 4th vs TCU when Gabriel was setting full time, while they were barely .200 with Shook in the game.

From a fan perspective the really disappointing thing about not getting a top 4 seed is that the regional finals won't be broadcast on LHN.

17 hours ago, Js1 said:

We finished 2-3 against the top 16 seeds but 0-3 against the top 8

To be fair, that's 0-3 against #1 and #2.

16 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

gabriel's timing with the OHs has made such a difference.  the approaches from the beginning of the year to now are night and day.  could also be helping out with the service games.  when you're swinging well in the front line you're swinging well in the 1.

It's all about confidence and siding out.  When the setting is good, this Texas team is going to side out at a very high rate.  When you know you can side out, there is less pressure on the servers because they know that their team can get the ball back even if they mess up.  Since Jhenna became the starter, Texas has had a 1:2 aces to errors ratio or better every game.  That only happened a third of the time with Shook and that other 2/3 included some truly horrific performances.

19 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Definite upgrade on the setting with Gabriel. I'll trade that any day over having a blocking advantage with Shook.

I have noticed Gabriel is still struggling somewhat with the timing on setting the middles. They will have to clean that up a bit to have a chance to make a deep run (along with some of the same old problems). And what is the deal with Mikaya tipping so much still. It's been fairly effective in conference but I'm not sure it's going to work later in the tournament.  I don't know if it's just part of her game or she is still working on timing issues with Gabriel.  I thought it was just a Shook deal but she is still doing it quite a bit, probably not as much as she was with Shook...I guess?

39 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Definite upgrade on the setting with Gabriel. I'll trade that any day over having a blocking advantage with Shook.

I have noticed Gabriel is still struggling somewhat with the timing on setting the middles. They will have to clean that up a bit to have a chance to make a deep run (along with some of the same old problems). And what is the deal with Mikaya tipping so much still. It's been fairly effective in conference but I'm not sure it's going to work later in the tournament.  I don't know if it's just part of her game or she is still working on timing issues with Gabriel.  I thought it was just a Shook deal but she is still doing it quite a bit, probably not as much as she was with Shook...I guess?

Put me in the camp that was initially excited to have a bigger setter that could block.  But that really doesn't matter if she can't put the ball where the hitters need it.  I think that was most apparent when Shook entered in the last set against WV...the hitters were once again adjusting to her sets and either tipping/making errors. 

Shook came in with the pedigree (coming out of SPVB which is notorious for developing setters) and accolades to be a game-changing setter, but has regressed since she's been here.  In all honesty, she probably needs a setter coach on staff who can constantly provide feedback with her setting technique and decision making skills....similar to what she received at the club level.  But Tonya and Erik aren't going anywhere and teams are only allotted 2 Assistant coaches. 

I thought Jhenna's sets to Johnson were on-point last match, and continues to improve with Butler (the set heights are there, now it's just the timing).  She and Yaazie have a really good connection at the right pin, something that the team lacked last year that should have been a strength (with a returning 1st Team All-American in Nwanebu).  I think the tips from White are now deliberate instead of necessity, and she is swinging more freely like she did her Freshman season.  And hopefully winning those accolades will elevate Logan's game for the tourney, that she will be playing to prove that she deserves those awards.

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 1

I think she's done a great job setting middle, but I was getting pretty frustrated with shook's inability / unwillingness to do so. Maybe I'm settling.

I don't think micaya's tipping on purpose, just when the set is off.

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I think some of the tipping is or was deliberate.  I think she has been coached not to try to power through every block.  Then it became a necessity with shooksets and now it may be a habit.

Micaya is hitting a lot of smart shots, not just the tips.  Her speed and placement have become really good.  I've watched her hit the deep line with roll shots over the line defender.  She's making fewer errors on her sharp cross court shots by taking about 10% off and hitting with a lot of topspin to drop it inside the line.  Same thing with her diagonal shots to the deep corner.  Go back and watch how many times a defender either lets it go thinking it's out or is forced to dive for those balls.

41 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I thought Jhenna's sets to Johnson were on-point last match, and continues to improve with Butler (the set heights are there, now it's just the timing).  She and Yaazie have a really good connection at the right pin, something that the team lacked last year that should have been a strength (with a returning 1st Team All-American in Nwanebu).  I think the tips from White are now deliberate instead of necessity, and she is swinging more freely like she did her Freshman season.  And hopefully winning those accolades will elevate Logan's game for the tourney, that she will be playing to prove that she deserves those awards.

Morgan hits a lot more slide than middle quick.  The slide prioritizes location and gives the hitter a bigger window to adjust to the timing of the set which plays to Jhenna's strengths.  Also Brionne is inconsistent in the timing of her approach.  Watch how often she fails to step back to the 10 ft line, then takes a 1 step approach and tries to make up for it with pure athletic ability.  She really is that good but it throws off the setter, sometimes badly.

17 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Morgan hits a lot more slide than middle quick.  The slide prioritizes location and gives the hitter a bigger window to adjust to the timing of the set which plays to Jhenna's strengths.  Also Brionne is inconsistent in the timing of her approach.  Watch how often she fails to step back to the 10 ft line, then takes a 1 step approach and tries to make up for it with pure athletic ability.  She really is that good but it throws off the setter, sometimes badly.

Yeah, I didn't specify, but the quicks are what I was referring to in regards to the timing and height of the sets to the middle. It probably is more of a timing problem with Butler because she is still developing and a bit raw, plus those sets are the toughest to time correctly and can look really bad when they are off.  Jhenna's sets on the slides and back sets to Yazzie have been on the money.

Mikaya has really developed her all around hitting game this year.  The more I think about it the more I believe her tipping is on purpose most of the time.  Some of it is just the preference or the experience of the hitter. If the set is a little off, some hitters will choose to take a chance and swing anyway (I think Logan does this more) while others, like White, will try and take something off the swing or tip.

Obviously whatever Mikaya is doing, it's working pretty well (Big 12 POY).  I just hope she adjusts as needed when they play the elite teams in the tourney, because those teams don't let many tips hit the ground and instead turn them into good kill opportunities.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

So if BYU wins and we all head to Provo, are we playing a Thursday/Sat or Sat/Mon regional? Bc they don’t play on Sunday right? 

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/volleyball-women/d1/2018

The printable bracket lists regional dates as Dec. 7-8, which is Friday and Saturday, but I did not realize the two matches would be played on back to back days. 

21 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/print/volleyball-women/d1/2018

The printable bracket lists regional dates as Dec. 7-8, which is Friday and Saturday, but I did not realize the two matches would be played on back to back days. 

Meh that works for me. I think it is b2b now that I think about it. It’s the NCAA basketball tournament that isn’t. 

Perfect bc I will be on a plane Thursday night next week. 

On 11/26/2018 at 6:58 PM, sushihorn said:

Micaya is hitting a lot of smart shots, not just the tips.  Her speed and placement have become really good.  I've watched her hit the deep line with roll shots over the line defender.  She's making fewer errors on her sharp cross court shots by taking about 10% off and hitting with a lot of topspin to drop it inside the line.  Same thing with her diagonal shots to the deep corner.  Go back and watch how many times a defender either lets it go thinking it's out or is forced to dive for those balls.

Oh no doubt.  Micaya's tipping really started last year, and I think was deliberate, then became sort of ingrained with shooksets, and everyone else started tipping too, for the same reason.

Another rather sad (to me), side effect of the Shook problem is that Yaazie has been neutralized for the last year and a half or so.  With Gabriel, she's really opened back up into the dominant hitter we had come to know.  Her health may not have allowed her to play all that much, anyway, but it's really nice to see her come in and blast again.

Edited by TwiceHorn