2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

We could have any coach in the country.

Are we maxed out because we refuse to coach ball control and recruit legit DS?

2012 feels so long ago. And we got so lucky to face Oregon instead of PSU

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

Are we maxed out because we refuse to coach ball control and recruit legit DS?

I am very appreciative of what Elliot has built here but now that it is built, we should have a top tier coach. I am not calling for his head but he should not have a lifetime contract.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I am very appreciative of what Elliot has built here but now that it is built, we should have a top tier coach. I am not calling for his head but he should not have a lifetime contract.

We've made the final four 8/10 years, we've won a title, we're 76-4 in the Big 12 in the last 5 years. 

Wanting to fire coaches like Elliott is why people like Herbstreit call our fanbase a "cesspool". 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

We've made the final four 8/10 years, we've won a title, we're 76-4 in the Big 12 in the last 5 years. 

Wanting to fire coaches like Elliott is why people like Herbstreit call our fanbase a "cesspool". 

lol, Herbstreit calls us a cesspool because he is all tosu/is not a fan of us, wants Texas recruits and he is an opportunistic bitch. That moron led the Bush over Vince for Heisman campaign, led the ou over Texas in 2008 polls, was an Ingram over Colt for Heisman...Loved ou because Stoops is ohio and had him as a special guest in Youngstown for the Stoops/Pellini dick foundation. 

I'm not calling for Elliott to be fired, he has built this program. He is also average at developing talent and in game coaching. There are better coaches.

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

He is also average at developing talent and in game coaching. There are better coaches.

Elliott is a top 3 or 4 coach in the game. The chances we would upgrade are slim to none. 

Even thinking about changing a coach that's made the final four 8/10 years is insane. If we start to consistently lose in the regional semis then I'll be right on board. But we're a long ways from that point. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Elliott is a top 3 or 4 coach in the game. The chances we would upgrade are slim to none. 

Even thinking about changing a coach that's made the final four 8/10 years is insane. If we start to consistently lose in the regional semis then I'll be right on board. But we're a long ways from that point. 

I agree but it's so very frustrating to watch us have the same weaknesses year after year. It's been the same for 95% of his tenure, no reason to believe it'll ever change. Based on his body of work we have to hope that once every 10 years we can out talent a team for the title. Again, he has built the best home court advantage in our nations best city. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

A lot of that is simply the fact that we coast through the B12, get high seeds and favorable draws and don't get tested until the FF.

I hear the argument from both sides.  But if Texas played in the Pac12 or B1G I don't think he would have the record he has.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A lot of that is simply the fact that we coast through the B12, get high seeds and favorable draws and don't get tested until the FF.

Sure it's helped but making the final four 8/10 years doesn't happen if you're not one of the best coaches in college volleyball. 

I can't believe we're actually arguing about moving on from a coach that's been final 4 good for 80% of a decade now. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I will say that it looks like there's considerable room for improvement "across the team," so we might be pretty decent at the end of the year.

Passing looks to have improved a bit, setting remains a bit of a question mark, and we have 2 pins and a middle to get experienced and integrated.  I suppose Petersen can improve too, but she seems to be the real deal.

• Like 1

BENCH Claire Hahn...Build for the future and put Jhenna Gabriel in her spot. Even if Claire comes in to situationally serve for Micaya, it keeps her OFF the court!

Other than that, I liked the switch between Morgan and Brionne in the line-up...it gives Brionne more opportunities to touch the ball at M1, which she will learn she needs to be more consistent at.  Morgan at M2 is a more natural position for her IMO since she has 2 pin hitters in the front row with her to spread out the block.  I predicted that would happen and that Brionne would be serving...I'm glad to see those changes were made.

34 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I agree but it's so very frustrating to watch us have the same weaknesses year after year. It's been the same for 95% of his tenure, no reason to believe it'll ever change. Based on his body of work we have to hope that once every 10 years we can out talent a team for the title. Again, he has built the best home court advantage in our nations best city. 

It's frustrating at times but firing a coach like Elliott would be insane. 

Nobody would care since it's volleyball but if we fired a coach of Elliott's caliber in the Big 3 sports we would be the laughing stock of college athletics. Rightfully so. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

missed it tonight.  how did ashley and micaya play?

Shook is Shook....sometimes looks like an elite setter....other times plays like a bench player.

Micaya was consistent this match, scoring 21 Kills and hitting @ .383...She's been a steady player....but I feel like I keep waiting for her to take it to another level and always get disappointed she doesn't play to her potential....I am seriously waiting for her to play at a Destinee Hooker level...

Edited by TexasDPT
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Shook is Shook....sometimes looks like an elite setter....other times plays like a bench player.

Micaya was consistent this match, scoring 21 Kills and hitting @ .383...She's been a steady player....but I feel like I keep waiting for her to take it to another level and always get disappointed she doesn't play to her potential....I am seriously waiting for her to play at a Destinee Hooker level...

Yeah, I cannot put my finger on it, but I just kind of get this weird "vibe" off her like she's not happy or not giving 100% or something.  Can't even articulate it.  She's the logical leader, but I am not the least bit surprised that she hasn't taken on that role.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, I cannot put my finger on it, but I just kind of get this weird "vibe" off her like she's not happy or not giving 100% or something.  Can't even articulate it.  She's the logical leader, but I am not the least bit surprised that she hasn't taken on that role.

Agree...she's like the modern flower child...talented as fuck, but doesn't give a fuck

10 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

i'd take .383 every game from her.  would love if she could approach destinee's level.  destinee was out of this world though.  of course being able to touch 11+ feet helps.  hopefully it clicks for her soon.  and ashley.

On 9/13/2018 at 9:21 PM, TexasDPT said:

I agree with your statement that most players come into college with the ability to pass and play defensively. 

Mira Topic, Alyson Jennings, Ashley Engle, Heather Kisner, Cat McCoy, and now Sydney Petersen are a few names that I think came in ready to play at the collegiate level (since Jerritt's tenure).

Kiley Hall, Sydney Yogi, Sarah Palmer, Sha'Dare McNeil, Kat Brooks, and Amy Neal are the ones that had the ability but REALLY had to develop and refine those abilities to play at a high level. 

If the coaches are not able to develop the passing/ball control/floor defense that's needed to be a consistent Championship-caliber team, then they need to focus on getting players that already have those skills and offer them a scholarship, instead of hoping that these walk-on DS's will develop. 

WIth 12 scholarships, I think 2 need to be given to Libero/DS players; 1 definitely for a libero and maybe offer a 2-year deal to a DS player that comes in as a walk-on and if she is the first DS to come off the bench by her JR year, then she earns the other scholarship.  I mean, I would gladly trade-in Orie's scholarship for a DS that could actually be a consistent force in the back row. 

I think there is a large pool of  5'8-5'10 High school OHs in Texas with great ball control skills that could transition nicely to a DS role if they were at least offered a 2-year scholarship at Texas. 7

33 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

Agree...she's like the modern flower child...talented as fuck, but doesn't give a fuck

57 minutes ago, TexasDPT said:

I get the opposite vibe. I think she cares too much which is why when things go sideways she's a complete mess. 

Shook's demeanor isn't good but I've never got the vibe from interviews that "she doesn't care". I think Shook's biggest problem is she's in her own head. She's trying to do too much. Elliott can be a very verbal/combative coach at times. I don't know how he treats Shook but I think she's the type that needs a lot of reassurance. 

I guess what I'm saying is Shook is more mentally weak in comparison with "not caring". I think she's very much the type that if you can get her into a rhythm she will be good. But on the opposite spectrum if things go sideways Shook is probably going to be god awful. 

Edited by texasstrong12