St. John's/St. Thomas VI

HoustonHorn

On 8/11/2021 at 7:34 AM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

So far so good! Been a bit rainy overall great so far. 

Btw, whoever said don't bring cash was quite wrong. Covid plus down season means fewer places are open and the ones that are want cash. Bring cash

View from our place. Hoping to get out and explore today

20210810_130611.jpg

Coral bay.  Very nice.  Last two trips stayed at Calichi on Bordeaux.  

On 4/28/2021 at 10:14 AM, HoustonHorn said:

After decompressing (see Flathead Lake thread) we will be going to St. John's and St. Thomas this summer to enjoy some beach/water activities. Any can't miss things to do or places to eat while on either island?

John.  St John.  Fix yer title matey.

On 8/17/2021 at 4:01 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

I'll give a full debriefing when I'm a little less tired. Flight was canceled yesterday due to mechanical issue. Had to wait for another flight from Miami. Didn't get to Miami until 2a this morning. Back in atx. Great trip. Way more of a safari/expedition than i was anticipating, but fun and gorgeous

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Trip there was pretty uneventful. Since this was a surprise trip for my gf's 40th (and we managed to keep it a surprise until we landed in USVI), I didn't plan a whole lot other than events on her birthday - couple's massage in the morning and dinner in the evening. Here are my stream of consciousness notes from the trip in likely no particular order:

• Masks are mandatory everywhere and so if you have an issue with that, this is not a destination for you. Just getting that out of the way now.
  • Taxi ride prices are negotiable - to a point. When you get off the plane and get a taxi to the ferry, you will be herded into passenger vans with up to 10 other people. If you're sensitive to covid spread in close environments, you might seek out an individual taxi. You'll likely pay more, but you won't be crammed into a van with a bunch of other people.
  • Since we have friends living on the island they were able to help us navigate the airport and then the ferry across from St Thomas to St John. Those are the fastest ferries I have ever been on. If you get even the slightest seasick, maybe pop a Dramamine before you get on. It's definitely a bumpy ride. Have cash ready for the attendants to receive and then to unload your luggage when you arrive.
  • Totally did not realize that Epstein's pedophile island(s) were in USVI. I never really paid much attention to whole thing, so it was kinda surreal seeing it from the ferry as we passed by
  • You have several choices of where to stay once on St John. If you like more touristy areas with access to shops, bars, and restaurants, then stay in Cruz Bay. If you like more secluded and scenic accommodations, stay in Coral Bay or the East End (although of those two, I would pick Coral Bay every time)
  • Regardless of where you stay, rent a vehicle. The beaches that you will want to go to are not close to any of the areas where people live/stay. There is an island bus service, but I doubt anyone with means would choose that over renting a car (but could likely save you money if you're trying to pinch your vacation pennies). If you rent a vehicle, do not get a car. Get an suv or jeep with 4WD/AWD. You'll be glad you did.
  • Expect it to take 20+ minutes to get anywhere. The roads are 20mph max and very windy/steep/switch-backy. Designate someone with good awareness and driving skills to be your chauffer - it takes a bit getting used to driving on the left side.
  • "Good morning" and "good night" (similar to "good evening" in terms of greeting) are currency. Before doing any business with a local, it is customary to greet them first. Even if you do, if you're Caucasian like me, you may still get a lukewarm response, but they will interact with you.
  • You can drive with a beverage, but make sure you have your seatbelt on. You will not get ticketed for the former, but you definitely will for the latter.
  • Trash is a problem that they are currently trying to tackle. Not that the island is dirty, but places where trash is collected are pretty foul. Pretty much the worst thing I have ever smelled in my life.
  • Right now, sargassum (https://g.co/kgs/4wYmoH) is a problem. It is hitting St John rapidly and once it starts to decay emits an odor reminiscent of a sewage treatment plant. Luckily the swimming areas were not affected, but many of the bays where people live/stay were, so fairly often the smell of the decaying seaweed would make it to the patio
  • If you're at all heat sensitive, get a place with AC - at least in the bedroom. Our unit did not have AC and for the most part it was fine, but there were a handful of occasions where we were uncomfortable
  • Plan your food/beverages wisely. There are several grocery stores (more like large convenience stores) across the island, and while there were good options, there was not nearly the selection we have here. Food prices are easily 2x what we pay in the states and liquor/beer is on the order of about 1.5x what we pay. Cigarettes, incidentally, are about the same price as stateside
  • If you plan to eat out, call ahead or make a resi. Despite the influx of people to the area right now, it is still the off-season. Many places mentioned in this thread (Skinny Legs, for one) were closed. We ate out about half the time and ate at the villa the other half. Besides some grab-and-go food, the places we ate out were pretty good, but nothing really wowed me. My frame of reference is Austin restaurants, so I'm probably a little snobby when it comes to dining out, but here are shooting-from-the-hip reviews of the few places we tried
    • Tap and Still - burgers and fries. 6.5/10
    • Morgan's Mango - I got a steak and gf got the chicken. Both were very good, but still not up to Austin standards (yeah, I know, I know). They did make me a quite good Old Fashioned 8.5/10
    • Shambles - I got the BLT and gf got the pulled pork sandwich. Mine was mediocre, hers was quite good. I was interested in trying more from there, but we never made it back. Got a rad shirt from there, though. 8/10
    • Wok on the Beach - our buddy was tending bar here and so we chilled there for an evening. Food was quite good and fresh. Likely the healthiest meal I had the whole trip: 8.5/10
    • Cruz Bay Landing - went here twice. Their french fries (they call them tater tots) are outstanding, I got the chicken fried steak and eggs because I'm a motherfuckin' Texan and it would be against my religion not too. It was pretty damn good. Good drinks too. 9/10
  • We hit many of the public beaches on the North Shore. We made it to Caneel Bay, Jumbie Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Hawksnest, and Maho Bay. We also hit a private beach (open to public, but donation suggested to use) in Hansen Bay. We would have needed to stay another week to come close to hitting all of the beaches in one trip.
  • If you plan to watch the sunset on the beach, bring bug spray. The sand fleas come out once the sun goes down
  • We saw pretty much every land species on the island, all of which are not indigenous. By memory we saw a shitload of lizards, donkeys, whitetail deer (yup!), mongoose, goats, and a wonderful variety of birds. We did not see the only indigenous mammal inhabitant of the island: bats
  • Water and electricity are precious commodities on the island. Our power went out several times, most notably during the middle of the night on hottest night while we were there. You're encouraged to take "island showers" - ie: turn off the water when lathering and use only to rinse. Since all potable water is either collected rainwater or water trucked in from St Thomas, it is very much encouraged to not waste it. Kinda ruined our plan to have steamy sex in the outdoor shower, but that's a story for another time. Be ready to throw your tp/poo raggy in the trash rather than flush it.
  • Check with the place you are staying about whether they have filtered water. If they don't, it's not potable.
  • Unless you're in Cruz Bay and there are bars/restaurants open late, expect the island to shut down around 8p.
  • The water and snorkeling were out of this world. Among the many creatures we saw the most notable were: stingray, baby nurse sharks (we think), and several sea turtles
  • Driving around was pretty entertaining as your radio choices are a few island stations and then a few from nearby PR. Definitely set the mood to drive around the island
  • If you smoke weed, you're in luck! It's everywhere. However, you're gonna pay 2X+ what you pay in the states. Plan accordingly
  • There is no sales tax on the island, but you will have to go through customs when you leave. Plan accordingly
  • Leaving was a bit of a hassle. Uneventful and easy to get to the airport, but when we arrived we learned our plane had an issue and couldn't fly. The last flight out is around 6:30p (at least it was on that day) and we were scheduled to leave at 3p. We learned too late that the plane was grounded to get another flight out. Luckily AA had already sent another plane from Miami to come get us. We arrived in FL at around 2a. They put us in a hotel for the night and flew us back the next day. So I missed an extra day of work. Oh darn.
  • We did not hit any of the other attractions like ruins or museums or the like. We mostly stuck to restaurants, bars, and beaches.

I think that's it. If I think of other things I will come in and edit.

TL;DR version: St John is a wonderful place, but if you have been to places like Hawaii or other more tourist-ready tropical destinations, this island is much more rugged and primitive than other destinations. With a little planning and forethought, it can be a wonderful destination for couples or families. The beaches and water are amazing and have a set a very high standard in my mind, especially considering the easy access to snorkeling from the beach. I will definitely return at some point, but not before I explore some other destinations. I still liked Hawaii better overall (only other tropical locale I have visited) but USVI has a ton to offer for those seeking something a little different.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Since this was a surprise trip for my gf's 40th (and we managed to keep it a surprise until we landed in USVI)

So wait, she gets on a plane and has no idea where it's going? Did she not look at her boarding pass, oo if you held on to it did she not look at the multiple screens where it's posted, or listen to the announcement? Did you drug her and carry her on to the plane? Or are you a Surly 1% and not fly commercial? So many questions. 

51 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So wait, she gets on a plane and has no idea where it's going? Did she not look at her boarding pass, oo if you held on to it did she not look at the multiple screens where it's posted, or listen to the announcement? Did you drug her and carry her on to the plane? Or are you a Surly 1% and not fly commercial? So many questions. 

She wanted it to be a surprise as long as possible, so she took off her glasses in the airport and put in her ear pods to block noise. I held onto the boarding passes. She la-la-la'd her way through the announcements on the plane. Pretty funny that it actually worked.

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Both were very good, but still not up to Austin standards (yeah, I know, I know).

Zozo's, Extra Virgin and 1864 would have blown you away.  Zozo's and Extra Virgin are world class restaurants.  I've been to Austin.  There's some really good food there but it's not a standard I'd put on a silver platter.

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Zozo's, Extra Virgin and 1864 would have blown you away.  Zozo's and Extra Virgin are world class restaurants.  I've been to Austin.  There's some really good food there but it's not a standard I'd put on a silver platter.

Fair, and I don't, but it's my frame of reference and most things I had did not stack up to similar offerings here. that was my only point

I considered all of those others, but my gf is a bit of a picky eater and so I chose Morgan's Mango bc it seemed to have the most variety

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

Understood.  Ah, I remember the picky eater thing. 

Morgan's Mango, while very popular is not among my favorite places either.  For lack of a better term I'd call it tourist food.  I'm glad you enjoyed the island.  I think if you'd stayed in Cruz Bay the ruggedness wouldn't have been so prevalent.

Now.  Book yourself a damned power cat and do the BVI when it's back up and fully running.  😀

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

She wanted it to be a surprise as long as possible, so she took off her glasses in the airport and put in her ear pods to block noise. I held onto the boarding passes. She la-la-la'd her way through the announcements on the plane. Pretty funny that it actually worked.

man that's awesome. i gave my husband his in a bday card this week :) thanks for the recap!

a few questions...

when you say the swimming areas aren't affected by the sargassum, how do you mean? coves? currents? nets? is one side of the islands better than other?

also re: masks... does the requirement extend to outdoor areas? beaches, pools, etc?

also... did i see you did a free test at Walgreens? i want to go ahead and book it now...pretty east process to follow online?

i agree on HI... been lucky to visit twice, close to perfect beaches. i don't know how they could be better. 

thanks! now... isn't someone else going in the next week or so? i thought three of us were going in succession 😄😎🤘

8 minutes ago, mchookem said:

man that's awesome. i gave my husband his in a bday card this week :) thanks for the recap!

a few questions...

when you say the swimming areas aren't affected by the sargassum, how do you mean? coves? currents? nets? is one side of the islands better than other?

also re: masks... does the requirement extend to outdoor areas? beaches, pools, etc?

also... did i see you did a free test at Walgreens? i want to go ahead and book it now...pretty east process to follow online?

i agree on HI... been lucky to visit twice, close to perfect beaches. i don't know how they could be better. 

thanks! now... isn't someone else going in the next week or so? i thought three of us were going in succession 😄😎🤘

I went a couple weeks ago but didn’t get around to giving an update.

I didn’t notice much sargassum, but didn’t spend any time on the south / southeast side really. I noticed the smell the couple times we went down toward coral bay. The north side beaches should be clear unless it changed the day between LF68 and me.

Masks were in all restaurants/stores/etc. their enforcement agency is pretty strict and has shut down places that aren’t compliant. Restaurant policy is wear until you’ve sat down. No masks on beaches, but if it’s Maho/trunk with food / rental trailers - those technically require them even though they’re outdoors. No mask at all on the charter we got, but pulling up to Pizza Pi at Epstein big island required it for pickup oddly.

we got tests at 5 days out and submitted - CVS so probably pretty similar. Took about 72 hours to clear.

I actually loved staying on the east side of the island and ruggedness. I knew the driving would be interesting…but was pretty shocked by the roads day 1 (very steep). I got used to it pretty quickly though.

one day I’ll get around to posting pictures. We absolutely loved it there and will definitely be back. Hopefully we can do a BVI charter once the pandemic clears up.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/20/2021 at 10:43 PM, mchookem said:

a few questions...

Meant to answer your questions and forgot:

Because most of the sargassum is coming from the south, the beaches on the north side are mostly unaffected. But some photos recently posted by our friends who live there may tell a different story. You could see the large "islands" of it floating in the water as you fly from Miami to the islands. I didn't know what it was previously. Now that I do, it's a sad state of affairs. Climate change is causing the waters to heat up, not properly cycle with the cooler waters from the north, thus the floating colonies of seaweed coming ashore.

Masks are required anywhere indoors, but if you are at a bar/restaurant you do not need them when you sit down. They are not required outside, but about half of the people I saw were wearing them outdoors anyway.

• Hook 'Em 2

well that's just terrible. poor Caribbean isles...hurricanes, earthquakes, covid, now this... what steep prices to pay to live near paradise.

i had read about the sargassum impact on Mexico beaches a while back, but i'd forgotten. fortunately, reading recent (past 2 months) reviews for where we're staying the beach there is pefectly clear, along with a couple other bays people mentioned.

this is on St. Thomas... remember i didn't want my mate to have to drive anywhere 😊 i'm expecting this to be real lowkey... i'll figure out how to get some groceries so we can cook most of our meals, planning to spend most of our time right on the resort beach.

cant book our covid test for a couple more days...all we have to dodge now are hurricanes! 😳

• Hook 'Em 1

Totally forgot until now because it's not something one can photograph as a reminder: we saw one of the most vivid and longest lasting shooting stars I've ever seen. As my gf remarked, it was as if someone painted the sky with stardust. It was magnificent. If you get away from lights and have clear sky (this will likely be easier on St John), spend some time looking up. You'll be glad you did

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

well we're about a week out! got our covid tests scheduled for end of week... we'll find out if going to the game was a big mistake or not 😜

so most of the recs in this thread appear to be for St. John...any for St. Thomas? we're staying on Nazareth Bay and are NOT renting a car, so things in that vicinity are good, but we can/will take taxis as needed.

keeping my fingers crossed we get liftoff! 😎

Definitely get a taxi and then ferry from Red Hook to St. John for a day trip.  Then, you'll get why so much of the thread focuses on that island.

Mountain Top on St. Thomas is worth a visit.  Fantastic views from up there and the daicquiris don't suck.  Of course, Magen's Bay is a nice spot.

• Like 1

mmmhmmm...well at the risk of eyerolls for being a 'woman driver' 😋...there's absolutely no way i'm getting in a car with my husband trying to drive on the left 😳 your description of the roads just reinforces that lol... sounds like a great way to ruin our vacation, either with an accident or a screaming fight 😄

but between covid and it being the offseason, we're pretty prepared to spend the vast majority of our time on the beach at our resort, which is supposedly the best on the island.

we will probably try to make 'friends' with a local taxi driver... we've done that before in Jamaica and Cozumel, make a deal with someone to be our 'driver' for the trip if we want to go somewhere...that is something my husband is good at! 😁

which brings me to a bit of an awkward question but hopefully not offensive...

couple of y'all have made casual remarks about your 'caucasian'-ness as it may relate to service. my husband is AA, sooo... would we do better to have him do most of the chatting/communicating with locals for stuff?

because i'm normally the travel/entertainment coordinator, but we're aware of potential cultural biases when we travel. having never travelled to USVI just wondering if that's something we should take into account 🤔

21 minutes ago, mchookem said:

mmmhmmm...well at the risk of eyerolls for being a 'woman driver' 😋...there's absolutely no way i'm getting in a car with my husband trying to drive on the left 😳 your description of the roads just reinforces that lol... sounds like a great way to ruin our vacation, either with an accident or a screaming fight 😄

but between covid and it being the offseason, we're pretty prepared to spend the vast majority of our time on the beach at our resort, which is supposedly the best on the island.

we will probably try to make 'friends' with a local taxi driver... we've done that before in Jamaica and Cozumel, make a deal with someone to be our 'driver' for the trip if we want to go somewhere...that is something my husband is good at! 😁

couple of y'all have made casual remarks about your 'caucasian'-ness as it may relate to service. my husband is AA, sooo... would we do better to have him do most of the chatting/communicating with locals for stuff?

because i'm normally the travel/entertainment coordinator, but we're aware of potential cultural biases when we travel. having never travelled to USVI just wondering if that's something we should take into account 🤔

I’ll just add that your instincts are correct here.  If you are a wife who has issues with your husband’s driving under normal circumstances, I would pass on having him drive on the wrong side of the road on steep, winding roads.  I learned this lesson driving from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope.  We returned the rental that afternoon and Ubered the rest of the trip.  However much extra money we spent to do that was well worth it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ll just add that your instincts are correct here.  If you are a wife who has issues with your husband’s driving under normal circumstances, I would pass on having him drive on the wrong side of the road on steep, winding roads.  I learned this lesson driving from Cape Town to the Cape of Good Hope.  We returned the rental that afternoon and Ubered the rest of the trip.  However much extra money we spent to do that was well worth it.

yeah, we went into this part of the trip pretty blind and it came close to ruining the first couple days of the trip. She was a neurotic mess and I was doing my best to stay on the left side. Lol

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

yeah, we went into this part of the trip pretty blind and it came close to ruining the first couple days of the trip. She was a neurotic mess and I was doing my best to stay on the left side. Lol

It didn’t help her neurotic tendencies that the turn signal and windshield wipers are on different sides as well, so at first every time I wanted to signal a turn the wipers would start up.

• Haha 1

Just now, VABuckeye said:

I didn't find driving on the other side to be difficult.  You do need to focus on entering and exiting roads and roundabouts.

I don’t think it was that difficult and was up to speed in about 5 minutes aside from the wiper/blinker confusion.  She had a different opinion on the issue, and no amount of perfect driving was going to assuage those concerns.

• Like 1

Figured I could this use thread to add a BVI question:

Booked a Lagoon 450 for the BVI over Christmas for the family.  First time there so I have no clue what a good itinerary is.  Charter company recommended this one, appreciate any advice:

1 Road Town - Baths - Spanish Town

2 Virgin Gorda

3 Anegada

4 Trellis Bay

5 Jost Van Dyke

6 Norman Island

7 Peter Island - Road Town

Also any where along the way to rent wave runners?

well i screwed up our covid tests lol...we each went to different CVS pharmacies but i assumed the tests were the same... so i got my results in an hour and we couldn't figure out why my mate didn't get his even though he took his test before me and we were starting to panic...

lol you guessed it, different types of tests!

i feel pretty confident he'll get his results by Saturday anyway, but just in case, i booked him for another rapid test literally like 12 hours before we leave 😄

anyway...i did not catch covid at the game and have my green QR code already! 😊

• Hook 'Em 1

mmmhmmm...well at the risk of eyerolls for being a 'woman driver' ...there's absolutely no way i'm getting in a car with my husband trying to drive on the left  your description of the roads just reinforces that lol... sounds like a great way to ruin our vacation, either with an accident or a screaming fight
we will probably try to make 'friends' with a local taxi driver... we've done that before in Jamaica and Cozumel, make a deal with someone to be our 'driver' for the trip if we want to go somewhere...that is something my husband is good at!
because i'm normally the travel/entertainment coordinator, but we're aware of potential cultural biases when we travel. having never travelled to USVI just wondering if that's something we should take into account

Start every conversation with a local with “good morning”, “good afternoon” or “good evening” and you’ll be good. I can’t remember if it was this thread or the other USVI one that had that tip but it’s real. It’s considered extremely rude not to greet someone and no one will be helpful if you don’t.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Figured I could this use thread to add a BVI question:

Booked a Lagoon 450 for the BVI over Christmas for the family.  First time there so I have no clue what a good itinerary is.  Charter company recommended this one, appreciate any advice:

1 Road Town - Baths - Spanish Town

2 Virgin Gorda

3 Anegada

4 Trellis Bay

5 Jost Van Dyke

6 Norman Island

7 Peter Island - Road Town

Also any where along the way to rent wave runners?

That's not the pathing right because that pathing would suck.

Those are the spots.  If you want to know what to hit on specific islands I'm happy to give recommendations.  By family do you mean younger kids?  If so, there is a certain offshore bar you'd want to avoid after about 3 pm as it gets very raunchy.

I say pathing because it makes little sense to hit Jost and then work your way back out to Norman and Peter Islands.  I have never ever seen a wave runner out there (which I view as a huge positive).  Some islands have dinghy rentals.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Start every conversation with a local with “good morning”, “good afternoon” or “good evening” and you’ll be good. I can’t remember if it was this thread or the other USVI one that had that tip but it’s real. It’s considered extremely rude not to greet someone and no one will be helpful if you don’t.

I reinforced this in my trip summary, but yeah, like I said, greetings ARE currency

4 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

That's not the pathing right because that pathing would suck.

Those are the spots.  If you want to know what to hit on specific islands I'm happy to give recommendations.  By family do you mean younger kids?  If so, there is a certain offshore bar you'd want to avoid after about 3 pm as it gets very raunchy.

I say pathing because it makes little sense to hit Jost and then work your way back out to Norman and Peter Islands.  I have never ever seen a wave runner out there (which I view as a huge positive).  Some islands have dinghy rentals.

Thanks, I'll quiz them about that path.

Kids are teenagers so we'll be okay. I hear you on the waverunners, but my son loves them.

Appreciate any tips on the specific islands.

holy grocery prices batman! 😮😄

this is probably standard but it's pretty cool...the villa wil have groceries delivered and put away by the time we arrive. niiice 😎 makes me feel like a surly 1%er 😄 

but fuck it, once you get your mind around 'this trip is all gas no brakes' who cares 😊

Anegada.  Cow Wreck Beach.  Great beach bar on a beach with a most interesting name and story.  Annie is a sweetheart and if he hasn't gone off to school her son is a talented artist.  If you see the biggest whitest perfect piece of coral you've ever seen it was one I found and gave to Annie after Irma so she could start hanging things up again to replace what was lost.

Norman Island - snorkel The Indians.  One side is sheltered for the more timid and one side is exposed.  Both sides have great snorkeling.  Pirate's Bight is a beautiful little harbor with a great restaurant.  The William Thornton (The WIllie T) is a floating bar on Norman's Island and is likely the raunchiest bar you'll ever visit.  The later in the day the worse (or better if you're like me) it gets.  Fun fact.  William Thornton was among other things an architect.  He was designated by George Washington as "the first architect" because it was his design that was chosen as the blueprint for the US Capitol building.

Virgin Gorda - You're there for The Baths and to explore the rock and walk the trail through the boulders.  Devil's Bay at the end of the short hike is spectacular.

spacer.png

Jost van Dyke is all about White Bay.  It's where The Soggy Dollar Bar is located which is one of if not the most famous island beach bar in the Caribbean.  It's an all day party every day with a different group of people each day.  We like to stay on Jost as we have made quite a few friends there over the years.  The next bay over is Great Harbor which is where Foxy's is located.  Also another famous Caribbean bar.  Sadly, you probably won't get a chance to meet Foxy as his health is declining.  Before Irma we chartered Foxy's new boat to Anegada for the day and were fortunate enough to have Foxy as our first mate who traveled around Anegada with us for the day.  He broke out his guitar at Cow Wreck Beach and played a few songs for us.  Bubbly Pool is a short hike from Foxy's Taboo on the west side of the island.  DO NOT let your kids climb on the rocks.  They are not stable and there was a death there in 2017 when a hiker did what these dumbasses did and climbed on the rocks.  If you catch the tides right when you're there the pool turns into a natural sauna.

spacer.png

Peter Island is a high end resort.  We stayed there in 2016 and loved it.  I'd guess that if you're stopping there it is for lunch.

I don't know anything about Trellis.

A fun little place to stop if your boat can get you in there is Little Jost Van Dyke.  The B-Line Beach Bar is a tiny little beach bar and is the only thing on the island.  You'll probably have the place to yourself.  The people there are very friendly and grateful for your business.

That's it for now.  Enjoy one of my favorite island chains in the world.  You will have a blast.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Hook 'Em 1

there are feral chickens here like Hawaii! this place has really good food and hh prices cheaper than some places in Austin. accommodations are pretty damn nice and view can't be beat. also how did nobody mention weed is practically legal here lol 😎

we befriended a driver who's going to take us to Mountaintop and lunch in Red Hook tomorrow. today was just chilling at the place. BLTs and bloody marys for lunch. it rained for a couple of hours then turned nice again. 

mr. mchookem with the doublehorns

20210915_123004.jpg

20210915_155107.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

i'm gonna keep posting b/c i'm tryna get away from anxiety shit in news, cloak room, football, etc...

and rn i'm sitting on my balcony watching the sunset 😎

this place is pretty awesome. so i know most of y'all went/are going to St. John...but right now seems like a real good time to be in St. Thomas if anybody is on the fence 🙂 NO cruise ships, they just started 'trial runs' this month. we have not had a bad meal...and tbh, the prices for food/drink...lots of places in Austin are more expensive, and...service here has been better. not just at our resort, but everywhere we've been. it's been awesome.

i mean, i guess it's probably expensive by Caribbean standards...but maybe not so much compared to home. 

except for groceries, holy crap! lol if i'd known then what i know now...i would have halved our grocery budget. 

the bay we are on has no other resorts, just a few residences, it's a marine wildlife preserve. the beach is only like a quarter mile in length but it's white sand until it gets to a coral shelf about 20 yds offshore. we've seen turtles, rays, tons of fish...i'd say the place we're at is maybe 20% full. 

overall, this is a pretty bitchin trip. not a bad birthday present if i do say so myself 😊 

i do have a question for @Longhorn_Fan68 or anyone else...i putzed around and it's too late to book any sort of reasonable boat excursion from where we are...is just taking the ferry to St. John and back kind of cool just for taking a look from the ocean POV? i mean, we're kinda old anyway lol...for like $100 we could do that, kill a couple hours right? are there shops, bars etc close to the ferry dock over there? 

anyway, Mountaintop today was breathtaking, lunch in Red Hook, we basically had our own personal driver/tour guide for the day, lots of scenic stops.

2 hours ago, mchookem said:

i'm gonna keep posting b/c i'm tryna get away from anxiety shit in news, cloak room, football, etc...

and rn i'm sitting on my balcony watching the sunset 😎

this place is pretty awesome. so i know most of y'all went/are going to St. John...but right now seems like a real good time to be in St. Thomas if anybody is on the fence 🙂 NO cruise ships, they just started 'trial runs' this month. we have not had a bad meal...and tbh, the prices for food/drink...lots of places in Austin are more expensive, and...service here has been better. not just at our resort, but everywhere we've been. it's been awesome.

i mean, i guess it's probably expensive by Caribbean standards...but maybe not so much compared to home. 

except for groceries, holy crap! lol if i'd known then what i know now...i would have halved our grocery budget. 

the bay we are on has no other resorts, just a few residences, it's a marine wildlife preserve. the beach is only like a quarter mile in length but it's white sand until it gets to a coral shelf about 20 yds offshore. we've seen turtles, rays, tons of fish...i'd say the place we're at is maybe 20% full. 

overall, this is a pretty bitchin trip. not a bad birthday present if i do say so myself 😊 

i do have a question for @Longhorn_Fan68 or anyone else...i putzed around and it's too late to book any sort of reasonable boat excursion from where we are...is just taking the ferry to St. John and back kind of cool just for taking a look from the ocean POV? i mean, we're kinda old anyway lol...for like $100 we could do that, kill a couple hours right? are there shops, bars etc close to the ferry dock over there? 

anyway, Mountaintop today was breathtaking, lunch in Red Hook, we basically had our own personal driver/tour guide for the day, lots of scenic stops.

Yeah, take a taxi to red hook and then the ferry. It'll drop you off in Cruz Bay and there's plenty to do there. Easyish walking and lots of shops and restaurants

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Like 1

In Cruz Bay, you can book a boat with St John Dinghy Rentals. You can cruise from beach to beach by yourself. I will say that all the north side beaches are part of the national park so you cannot take a boat to shore or use an anchor. I think on the south side you take the boat right up to the beach.

There also plenty of boat rentals with a captain if you Google. Probably a good price in the off season right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

Cruz Bay has a lot of shops and restaurants.  Quite a few of the restaurants are outstanding.  As for a dinghy there are marked buoys to guide you in to the allowed beaches dinghy areas.  It is the northside beaches you go to.  There really aren't any beaches of note on the south side of the island.  They're few and far between there.

Leaving from Cruz Bay, you are able to cruise the North Shore to Waterlemon Cay. On the way you will be able to stop at any of the beaches that might catch your eye including some of St. John’s most popular beaches such as Honeymoon, Hawksnest, Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, Maho Bay and more

Edited by VABuckeye

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Cruz Bay has a lot of shops and restaurants.  Quite a few of the restaurants are outstanding.  As for a dinghy there are marked buoys to guide you in to the allowed beaches dinghy areas.  It is the northside beaches you go to.  There really aren't any beaches of note on the south side of the island.  They're few and far between there.

Hansen Bay is worth visiting

• 1 year later...