Shameless Fun Funding on Social Media/Interweb

Newdoc

Trying to get a pulse on a trend among the under 30's with raising money for frivolous things they should be funding with part time work or their own family's funds. I have come across a few signs with Venmo accounts listed on the backs of cars or vans with people asking complete strangers to fund their "trip across the country" and now I have seen a few groups of high school or near college graduates social posting GoFundMe campaigns for the "trip of a lifetime" or whatever BS they want to do with other people's money.  Is this a common thing now?  It's literally begging from complete strangers or distant acquaintances for superfluous crap.  I was used to funding a college kid's summer trip to dig wells in Africa or teach English in Central America but funding self indulgence why I work my ass off this summer after being buried in Covid for a year is mind bottling.   Now get off my lawn.

Cases in point - https://didyouknowfacts.com/21-dumb-schemes-people-actually-made-money/

High tech panhandling but instead of pretending that you want to buy baby formula it’s to subsidize their vacation?  I haven’t seen it other than on here where people have posted about young couples asking for money for their honeymoon or similar shit. I suspect it’ll go away when people find out it’s a waste of time. I can’t imagine any cause being less sympathetic than subsidizing someone’s vacation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

spacer.png

This.  I hate this shit when I see it on social media (well some of it's legit, like tragedies and the like, and I don't mind that).

Most of us who are men (over 40) and posting here already have three adults we are supporting - we have a courtesan for pleasure and keeping us preoccupied on game days and on the weekends in general when we need to get out of town, we have a concubine who services our bodies (bathing, morning sex, operating the coconut water-powered bidets, etc.) and takes care of other day-to-day tasks during the week, and then we have our wives, who provide us offspring and make sure the other two women aren't robbing us blind.  And then those of us who are parents also have to support our kids.