Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Foul might have given them a chance to reset and run a screen for one of their 3 point shooters.

We had a few fouls to give. Vic usually plays it straight up - defense got us here, defense will win the game. It did. 

Just now, Js1 said:

We had a few fouls to give. Vic usually plays it straight up - defense got us here, defense will win the game. It did. 

Actually we had only 1 foul to give. Harmon was hounding Sheldon the length of the court with her tenacious defense. But Sheldon was stupid to dribble it inside the 3 point line.

Just now, UDontKnow said:

Actually we had only 1 foul to give. Harmon was hounding Sheldon the length of the court with her tenacious defense. But Sheldon was stupid to dribble it inside the 3 point line.

Fair point. Harmon really came up clutch. Kinda a blessing in disguise how much “rest” she got 

Just now, Goodman said:

Of course, she ran her face into Rory's head. h2h is an auto upgrade in that situation.

It wasn’t clear enough to call it in that moment. Once it was in slo-mo, not sure. I know you want to call it in the name of safety, but man, in that moment….

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

That actually pretty sad. It's a clear h2h with video we can all watch but big bad ref saino.

I saw the video.  I didn’t see any blood.  I saw the replay.  Even Vic wasn’t upset at it just being a common foul.

Chill out bro.  We won.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Well, players don’t get to be reckless just because they are losing and it’s almost over. 

It was reviewed for a long time and determined to be incidental.  I thought it was intentional at first glance but slowed down, I think right call. But they could have called the other way to be conservative

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It wasn’t clear enough to call it in that moment. Once it was in slo-mo, not sure. I know you want to call it in the name of safety, but man, in that moment….

I hear you and I'll drop it but h2h is an auto based on the new rules the ncaa has demanded. Big win.

Just now, Js1 said:

It was reviewed for a long time and determined to be incidental.  I thought it was intentional at first glance but slowed down, I think right call. But they could have called the other way to be conservative

I probably dont know what a flagrant is or should be because of how it is applied differently. Sometimes a block attempt follow through that hits the head is upgraded. At that level of scrutiny, I would think that bull charging at a player to make an intentional foul, and hitting her head with yours would also get upgraded.  Maybe it’s the other that is wrong, but I try to adjust to what I see called. I could also be conflating mens and womens I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Thanks for nothing, Gail! 

Women's Bball would regularly lay "Goestenkors" during Gail's tenure.

Bad puns aside, she should have never left Duke. She had something really good there and she ruined it.

Now that the Elite 8 is our standard, if Vic doesn't make it one year, we're calling for his head, amirite? /s

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47.3% shooting and held OSU to 42.6%. OSU was only 4-12 BTA (Texas 2-4). Texas 12-15 FT. OSU made all 7 of their FT 

+1 on the glass and even in turnovers. Only had 6 TO after the half versus 11 in the first half 

2 of our 4 blocks to end the game - Moore’s to seal it and Moore credited on the final shot too

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UDontKnow said:

So we want Turtle and not Tree, right? Man we got Big Vic energy, it don't make a shit - we're gonna win!

Maryland is like a better OSU. Vic had no issue shutting them down last year.  Stanford is fundamentally sound but we beat them already in November. Rori had 21 in her second collegiate game. Also on a major roll but so are we 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Goodman said:

It's sad and it makes me angry at Plonsky but she had help.

Plonsky has been a scourge on this athletic department for years.  I'd say she is second to Patterson but she's been here so long she has done much more systemic damage.  especially to the women's side.

• Rage+1 1

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Creighton-ISU tied at half. 

Stanford up big. Vic can start scouting 

Media going to play us up as a revenge game. That’s fine, I trust our team and we’ve done them once already, there will be no fear. We won at Palo Alto too so that’s in their heads. God I would love to get one more.

• Hook 'Em 1

From ESPN

Texas' backcourt made all the difference in the Longhorns' victory over Ohio State. How did they do it?

Voepel: After the Big 12 championship game, Longhorns senior guard Joanne Allen-Taylorwas in tears because winning that title meant so much to her; it was something Texas hadn't done since 2003. Allen-Taylor has been the glue player for Texas, and that showed Friday.

With freshman sensation Rori Harmon in foul trouble, the Longhorns needed Allen-Taylor to be their backcourt leader. And she was, going 7-of-11 from the field for a team-high 17 points while also providing a lot of the on-ball pressure that Harmon usually handles.

Harmon was limited to 21 minutes, and had six points, the first time since Feb. 26 that she didn't score in double figures. But when Harmon was on the floor, she made things happen. That included in the final 18 seconds, when Harmon grabbed a rebound and raced down the court, forcing the Buckeyes to foul her but also taking time off the clock. She made both free throws with 11 seconds left, and then defensively hounded Ohio State on its last possession. The Buckeyes were unable to get off a quality shot, and Texas made the Elite Eight for the second season in a row.

Pelton: Postgame, Longhorns coach Vic Schaefer noted that he'd originally recruited Allen-Taylor to Mississippi State as a point guard before ending up with her at shooting guard when he took the Texas job in 2020. Harmon's foul trouble gave Allen-Taylor an opportunity to revisit those roots on a big stage.

It's also worth highlighting Allen-Taylor's defensive effort on high-scoring Buckeyes guard Taylor Mikesell. Although Mikesell finished with 19 points, those came primarily on switches or in transition. On the 27 half-court matchups between the two players tracked by Second Spectrum, Mikesell did not score and attempted just two shots.

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Ebo cannot be on the floor when we're trying to get the ball across half court. Horrible positioning, horrible movement 

Plus, the first thing she does after receiving the pass is to bring the ball down to chest level negating her height/size advantage … inviting defenders to swipe it away from her.  Happened a couple of times in successive inbounds.

I don’t know if Stanford solved their PG problem because the P12 was pretty meh. We really harassed the shit out of whoever handled the ball in Palo Alto. 

No idea how much Stanford presses, but I imagine it’s “not much” because Stanford is prone to fouling a lot. Cameron Brink especially is really good at picking up 2 bad fouls in the 1Q. 

Every player looks long and lean and some of their posts can hit the three. Nothing we haven’t faced already with ISU. Fundamental ball club with no dominant ball handler and prone to foul trouble. Texas has much better depth. Our guard speed was an issue for Stanford too when we drove to the basket, which we did, a lot, as we only had 3 assists in that game. 

Harmon had 21 in the first meeting and Matharu and Moore had a great game as well.

Should be a hell of a game - Vic and Tara are both master tacticians 

Oh and the Hull sisters are from this area, so it’ll be a very very pro-Stanford crowd 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t know if Stanford solved their PG problem because the P12 was pretty meh. We really harassed the shit out of whoever handled the ball in Palo Alto. 

No idea how much Stanford presses, but I imagine it’s “not much” because Stanford is prone to fouling a lot. Cameron Brink especially is really good at picking up 2 bad fouls in the 1Q. 

Every player looks long and lean and some of their posts can hit the three. Nothing we haven’t faced already with ISU. Fundamental ball club with no dominant ball handler and prone to foul trouble. Texas has much better depth. Our guard speed was an issue for Stanford too when we drove to the basket, which we did, a lot, as we only had 3 assists in that game. 

Harmon had 21 in the first meeting and Matharu and Moore had a great game as well.

Should be a hell of a game - Vic and Tara are both master tacticians 

Oh and the Hull sisters are from this area, so it’ll be a very very pro-Stanford crowd 

Thanks @Js1 great writeup. Hopefully Harmon can avoid foul trouble, going to need her the whole game. I don’t see a game time yet. (?)