Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

Game 36: No. 2 seed Texas (29-6, 13-5 Big 12) vs No. 1 seed Stanford (31-3, 16-0 PAC 12)

NCAA Tournament Elite 8
Sunday, March 27, 2022 – 8:00 p.m. Central

Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena (12,638) – Spokane, Wash.

GameDay Quick Facts:
• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on ESPN. Beth Mowins (pxp), Debbie Antonelli (analyst) and Angel Gray (sideline) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) and Kathy Harston (analyst) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: 8-6, Stanford leads. Last meeting: Texas 61-56 (Nov. 15, 2021; Palo Alto, Calif.)

FEELIN ELITE: Coming off Friday's hard-fought 66-63 victory over No.6-seed Ohio State in the Sweet 16 round of the 2022 NCAA Tournament, the No.2-seeded Texas Women's Basketball team will gear up for its Elite 8 showdown with top-seeded Stanford on Sunday (8 p.m. CT/6 p.m. PT) inside Spokane Arena. The Longhorns (29-6) who have won 14-straight games entering Sunday's tilt and are making their second-straight Elite 8 appearance will run into a Cardinal team (31-3) that has won 23-straight games. Texas handed Stanford one of their three loss on the season back on Nov.14 with a 61-56 victory in Palo Alto. Texas will make its 11th all-time appearance in a regional final and will make its first back-to-back appearance since the Longhorns made five-straight Elite 8 appearances from 1986-90.

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY: With Friday's win over the Buckeyes , Texas is now 48-32 (.600 win pct) all-time in the NCAA Tournament. Thirty of those victories have come by at least 15 points, including an 18-point win over the Stags and a 22-point win over the Utes last weekend.

FIVE STRAIGHT FOR SCHAEFER: In just his second season at the helm of the program, Vic Schaefer has guided the Longhorns to back-to-back Elite 8 appearances and has been to five-straight regional finals dating back to his tenure as the head coach at Mississippi State. Schaefer is 2-2 in the Elite 8 and owns a 22-6 mark in the tournament as a head coach entering Sunday's game.

THE REMATCH: Back on Nov. 14, in just the second game of the season, the Longhorns grabbed the nation's attention as they went into Maples Pavilion and defeated the defending National Champions 61-56. Both programs will enter the Elite 8 as much improved and different teams than they were four months ago, however fans should expect a similar wire-to-wire defensive battle in Sunday's clash.

SCOUTING THE CARDINAL: Stanford enters Sunday's matchup as one of the most well-rounded and physically gifted teams in the country. Currently, they lead the PAC 12 in scoring defense (56.8 PPG) and rank No.2 in the league and No. 25 in the NCAA offensively at 74.4 points per game. Their +17.6-scoring margin is No.7 in the nation.

The Cardinal are led by a pair of All-Americans in Haley Jones and Cameron Brink. Brink leads the team in scoring averaging 13.5 points per game to go along with a team-best 8.2 rebounds per game. Jones averages 12.8 points per game and leads the team with 114 assists on the season. Lexie Hull is the teams' third leading scorer at 12.5 points per game while Hannah Jump averages 9.6.

NEXT: Should the Longhorns come out come out on top of Sunday's matchup with the Cardinal, they would advance to their first Final Four since 2003. Final Four action kicks off next Friday, April 1 in Minneapolis.

I’m more nervous tonight than I was last year bc I think we have a much better shot than we did in 2021 to make the Final Four 

- Already beat Stanford

- On a hot streak (2 longest win streaks in the nation)

- Stanford is a better matchup for us than Ohio State, I think 

- 2 game win streak over Stanford currently 

- No one thinks we have a chance, so we should be motivated 

Summitt and Jerritt Elliot both have said this is the hardest game bc there’s so much pressure to reach the Final Four.  And should be a lot more on Stanford bc they are the #1 seed and looking to repeat 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

It’s sad that she’s right.  How the game is called will determined the outcome of the game. 

That a 3x National champ coach and the winningest coach in WCBB has to preemptively lobby the officials to call it her way speaks volumes about how she feels the direction of the game is going and how these finesse teams are at a disadvantage.

Tara called it football on hardwood but I’ve heard it called “thug ball” by fans of programs who have head coaches who hate it (ISU, OU are two). And we are moving to a league featuring Staley, Mulkey and Abrahmson-Henderson (UCF to UGA) who all prioritize very physical defense. Which Vic was already doing at MSU

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I’m more nervous tonight than I was last year bc I think we have a much better shot than we did in 2021 to make the Final Four 

- Already beat Stanford

- On a hot streak (2 longest win streaks in the nation)

- Stanford is a better matchup for us than Ohio State, I think 

- 2 game win streak over Stanford currently 

- No one thinks we have a chance, so we should be motivated 

Summitt and Jerritt Elliot both have said this is the hardest game bc there’s so much pressure to reach the Final Four.  And should be a lot more on Stanford bc they are the #1 seed and looking to repeat 

We haven't had the chance to get to the FF very often and as good as Stanford is we do have a legitimate chance today.

I thought we were a S16 team but the E8 was a real bonus. The FF would wildly exceed my expectations for this year, but going forward I think Vic gets us here more often than not. The system works.

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

GameDay on live LHN right now.  Interview with Coach Vic a few minutes ago was awesome  !!!

He was interviewed during halftime of the SC game. Clearly not worried about Tara’s comments, said he’s not coming out in some 2-3 zone and playing “hope they miss” defense. 

Stick with what works