Gunsmoke

tx 3 putt

A friend of mine, her father was much much older than her father should have been. I think he was in his 50s when she was born. Anyway, he was the head wrangler for the entirety of Gunsmoke.

Works for the studios his entire life. When he wasn’t working on gunsmoke he worked on western movies including several John Wayne movies.

And I shit you not, and his wall hung a 30-30 that was a gift to him from John Wayne himself. Inscription written in marker on the stock.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

A friend of mine, her father was much much older than her father should have been. I think he was in his 50s when she was born. Anyway, he was the head wrangler for the entirety of Gunsmoke.

Works for the studios his entire life. When he wasn’t working on gunsmoke he worked on western movies including several John Wayne movies.

And I shit you not, and his wall hung a 30-30 that was a gift to him from John Wayne himself. Inscription written in marker on the stock.

At the Spahn Movie Ranch?

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

james arness was pretty damn quick to kick someone's ass or just drop them dead 

James Arness was 6'7", a WWII combat veteran and a genuine badass.  I think he was man enough to play Matt Dillon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Arness

Military service in World War II[edit]

Although Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, he was concerned his poor eyesight would bar him. However, his 6-ft, 7-in (2.01 m) frame ended his chances because the limit for aviators was set at 6 ft, 2 in (1.88 m). He was drafted into the US Army and reported to Fort Snelling, Minnesota in March 1943.[4] As a rifleman, he landed on Anzio Beachhead on January 22, 1944, with the 2nd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. Arness – due to his height – was the first man to be ordered off his landing craft to determine the depth of the water; it came up to his waist.[4] He was severely wounded in his right leg during the Battle of Anzio,[6][7] and medically evacuated from Italy to the U.S., where he was sent to the 91st General Hospital in Clinton, Iowa. His brother, Peter, (later known as actor Peter Graves), came to see him when he was back in the U.S., beginning his long recuperation, assuring him to not worry about his injuries, that likely he could find work in the field of radio. After undergoing several surgeries, he was honorably discharged from the Army on January 29, 1945.[8] His wounds continued to trouble him, though, throughout the remainder of his life. In his later years, he suffered with chronic leg pain that often became acute, and was sometimes initiated when he was mounted on horses during his performances on Gunsmoke.[9][7] His military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the American Campaign Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.[9][10]

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

James Arness was 6'7", a WWII combat veteran and a genuine badass.  I think he was man enough to play Matt Dillon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Arness

Military service in World War II[edit]

Although Arness wanted to be a naval fighter pilot, he was concerned his poor eyesight would bar him. However, his 6-ft, 7-in (2.01 m) frame ended his chances because the limit for aviators was set at 6 ft, 2 in (1.88 m). He was drafted into the US Army and reported to Fort Snelling, Minnesota in March 1943.[4] As a rifleman, he landed on Anzio Beachhead on January 22, 1944, with the 2nd Platoon, E Company, 2nd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment of the 3rd Infantry Division. Arness – due to his height – was the first man to be ordered off his landing craft to determine the depth of the water; it came up to his waist.[4] He was severely wounded in his right leg during the Battle of Anzio,[6][7] and medically evacuated from Italy to the U.S., where he was sent to the 91st General Hospital in Clinton, Iowa. His brother, Peter, (later known as actor Peter Graves), came to see him when he was back in the U.S., beginning his long recuperation, assuring him to not worry about his injuries, that likely he could find work in the field of radio. After undergoing several surgeries, he was honorably discharged from the Army on January 29, 1945.[8] His wounds continued to trouble him, though, throughout the remainder of his life. In his later years, he suffered with chronic leg pain that often became acute, and was sometimes initiated when he was mounted on horses during his performances on Gunsmoke.[9][7] His military decorations included the Bronze Star, the Purple Heart, the American Campaign Medal, the European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with three bronze battle stars, the World War II Victory Medal, and the Combat Infantryman Badge.[9][10]

WW2 veteran...enough said.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:17 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Bonanza was a damn great show 

David Dortort was unhappy with the direction Bonanza took and wanted a more realistic look at the old west so he made The High Chaparral. Now that was a great show.