9/11: One Day in America (Nat Geo)

Sbbruin

^^^

You sound like a Karen pioneer. 

I found out about it way later than you. I was in elementary school in TX. Didn’t even hear about it till I got home around 3pm. Towers had long fallen by then. Didn’t really comprehend it. Teacher briefly talked about it with the class the next day. That was pretty much it as far as my experience with it. Guess I’m glad I wasn’t old enough for it to mentally impact me. 

Good friend's wife was supposed to be on Flight 77 going from D.C. to L.A.  But one of their kids was having his first day of kindergarten that day, and she wanted to take him and be there on his first day of school.  Her boss said no problem -- just take the next flight.  Saved her life.

My brother was a SA in the FBI assigned to Manhattan at the time.  He got into work shortly before the first plane hit the North Tower.  He and a team immediately assembled and started moving from their office toward the WTC.   En route, they were told to stop -- he thinks it was because of all the dust and debris from the first strike plus a desire not to impede fire and paramedic personnel.  Within a few minutes of the stop order, the second plane hit the South Tower.  My brother doubts that his team would have been inside the South Tower at the time, but they probably would have been very close.  

On 9/3/2021 at 10:55 PM, Catpfish said:

Just read that Mickey Kross, one of the firefighters that survived the collapse in The Miracle of Stairwell B (the one that didn't look good at all in the documentary) passed away 4 days ago

On 9/4/2021 at 12:10 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

Chief Pfeifer retired 3 years ago after 37 years on the job, he was the last "Chief" who survived 9/11 to retire..

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/nyregion/joseph-pfeifer-fire-chief-retires.html

I felt like I was right there listening to Jay Jonas and Joe Pfeifer tell their stories. I remember that day like it was yesterday, but it also feels like a lifetime ago.

Loved the lady that had the misfortune to get hit by the landing gear. Stripped off one side of her back. She had such a good attitude in the hospital. The (then) young paramedic who helped her, talking about later wanting to drive off the bridge on the way to work. Tough to watch.

Edited by retread
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

^^^

You sound like a Karen pioneer. 

Yeah.  It was weird to type that.  I never complain and always keep to myself.  One just has to recall the mindset of everyone shortly after it happened.  For example, I took my daughter to a Lady Vol soccer game not too long after 9/11.  At the end of the anthem, they set off a few minor fireworks.  The entire stadium jumped or ducked.

I had my 8 AM capstone finance course that Tuesday. We got out, and campus was empty. I was standing with two of my closest college friends, and their frat brother came running yelling that the US had been attacked. We ran into the student center and down to the coffee shop and watched everything in absolute horror. No one left until later that afternoon. We were horrified and also trying to get in touch with our friends who worked in the area. It's something I won't forget.