Babylon 5 reboot in the works with J. Mike Stracz. creating

AUS-97HORN

looks like a total restart from the ground up. 

Interesting

A “Babylon 5” reboot is in development at The CWVariety has learned.

Original series creator J. Michael Straczynski is onboard to write the project. He will also executive producer under his Studio JMS banner. Warner Bros. Television, which produced the original series, will produce the reboot.

The new iteration of the sci-fi series is described as a “from-the-ground-up reboot.” In the series, John Sheridan, an Earthforce officer with a mysterious background, is assigned to Babylon 5, a five-mile-long space station in neutral space, a port of call for travelers, smugglers, corporate explorers and alien diplomats at a time of uneasy peace and the constant threat of war. His arrival triggers a destiny beyond anything he could have imagined, as an exploratory Earth company accidentally triggers a conflict with a civilization a million years ahead of us, putting Sheridan and the rest of the B5 crew in the line of fire as the last, best hope for the survival of the human race.

Sheridan was played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series, with the ensemble cast also including Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, and Richard Briggs. At this time, none of the original series stars are attached to the project.

The original “Babylon 5” ran in syndication and on TNT for five seasons, 110 episodes, and seven TV movies, including the 1993 pilot film. The show is considered one of the best sci-fi series ever made by many critics and won numerous awards throughout its run, including two Hugo Awards and a Saturn Award.

Straczynski followed up “Babylon 5” with the TNT spinoff series “Crusade.” The “Babylon 5” franchise also includes novels, short stories, and comic books.

Straczynski’s other work includes the Netflix series “Sense8,” which he co-created and showran along with the Wachowskis. His feature writing credits include the Angelina Jolie-led drama “Changeling,” the action-thriller “Ninja Assassin,” the story for the first “Thor” film, and the story for “World War Z.” He is also an accomplished comic book writer, having worked for DC and Marvel. He is head of the creative council for a new comics publishing company, Artists, Writers and Artisans (AWA).

9 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

A “Babylon 5” reboot is in development at The CWVariety has learned.

In this day and age, I wonder how well it will work with being on broadcast TV, with commercials, etc., compared to Star Wars stuff on Disney+, The Expanse, and all the other sci-fi shows coming out.

9 hours ago, Xian said:

Those tweets make me feel much better 

2 hours ago, Apep said:

The tweets do not make me feel better. I’d rather see the story of the first three Babylon stations or something later that wasn’t covered in the movies. Like the story of the advanced human in the last ep of season 4. 

I'm feeling better as well, and he makes it clear it's not a continuation of the previous series.

My only concern is it's CW.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The original series was released under the PTEN network.   which was the sketchiest of networks at the time.   They usually linked to the Fox affiliates with crazy late night broadcast times.

The series managed to survive 4 years that way where each city had a different broadcast time and date.   It wasnt until season 5 that they closed out on TNT where their broadcast time was standardized

If they managed to survive 4 years on that crazy network, the CW is child's play.

2 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

The original series was released under the PTEN network.   which was the sketchiest of networks at the time.   They usually linked to the Fox affiliates with crazy late night broadcast times.

The series managed to survive 4 years that way where each city had a different broadcast time and date.   It wasnt until season 5 that they closed out on TNT where their broadcast time was standardized

If they managed to survive 4 years on that crazy network, the CW is child's play.

Community GIF

And they have done an amazing job keeping a bunch of their DC stuff going.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I'm feeling better as well, and he makes it clear it's not a continuation of the previous series.

I could get on board with the idea if it was clear that it’s just the same setting, that the characters and the story are different. Less a re-boot than a complete reinvention, like a different DM using the same campaign setting to run a different campaign with all-new players. If that’s what he was tweeting, yeah, I’m on board. But if is just a new Sheridan and Delenn, a new Vir, Londo, and G’Kar, which is what the BG reference suggests…I’m not that interested. That type of reboot has been done to death.

Edited by Apep