Possible to relocate main breaker box and A/C units?

Assman

I've mentioned before that we were planning on building a house but with construction costs rising daily, we're not sure it's the best move right now.  There is a house about to hit the market that would work for us, except I would need an extra garage space.  The exterior wall that would be demoed to expand the garage currently houses the main breaker box and 2 A/C units.  How big of a pain in the ass would it be to move these?  What are things to consider when doing something like this?  This house is great, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't expand the garage so I need to figure this out ahead of time.

17 hours ago, Assman said:

I've mentioned before that we were planning on building a house but with construction costs rising daily, we're not sure it's the best move right now.  There is a house about to hit the market that would work for us, except I would need an extra garage space.  The exterior wall that would be demoed to expand the garage currently houses the main breaker box and 2 A/C units.  How big of a pain in the ass would it be to move these?  What are things to consider when doing something like this?  This house is great, but I wouldn't buy it if I couldn't expand the garage so I need to figure this out ahead of time.

Neither of these things is a big deal, the bigger deal is not having an exterior wall for as long as it takes to build. This is a "do it before you move in" or "don't live there while it's happening" type project.

On the breaker box, have you looked at the direction the main power supply and loads go? If you move the main panel very far, you may need to re-pull some circuits and possibly the power feed to it or look at installing some sort of junction box in the attic above where the panel is now, and pull wiring from the junction to the new panel location. Otherwise you would be looking at splicing the cables and I’ve seen too many of the damn things fail to begin to recommend that route.

18 minutes ago, Elvis said:

I would like these referrals please!

The electrician is based out of Drip; would probably add to much $$ for going to R Rock / Cedar Park / Pflugerville, etc. but I can ask if he's interested in that distance (he's got 3 that work for him & he's of course the Elect. Contractor, etc).

The AC guy is Puma AC & has done work for more than a few Shaggers.  Jose', 512.567.3007.

• Hook 'Em 1

On the breaker box, have you looked at the direction the main power supply and loads go? If you move the main panel very far, you may need to re-pull some circuits and possibly the power feed to it or look at installing some sort of junction box in the attic above where the panel is now, and pull wiring from the junction to the new panel location. Otherwise you would be looking at splicing the cables and I’ve seen too many of the damn things fail to begin to recommend that route.

If he’s moving it, he’d have to at least run wire from all the junction boxes to the new panel correct? I wouldn’t be a fan of having a big junction for all of it.

3 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

The electrician is based out of Drip; would probably add to much $$ for going to R Rock / Cedar Park / Pflugerville, etc. but I can ask if he's interested in that distance (he's got 3 that work for him & he's of course the Elect. Contractor, etc).

The AC guy is Puma AC & has done work for more than a few Shaggers.  Jose', 512.567.3007.

Thank you!

Thanks for the replies.

The house currently has a 2+1 garage setup where the 1-car is facing the street and the 2-car is facing the side yard.  I'd be adding another 1-car next to the current 1-car, so I'd be moving everything down roughly 15'. 

On the electrical question but I priced this on my house back in Alabama. it was about 6K because the original box is 40 plus years old and they have to get some of the wires coming out of it up to code when they move it. Not cheap. Hopefully your house is not 40-50 years old with wiring that came with it