Musty smell

kmac30

My upstairs smells musty/mildewy when it’s warm outside after it rains. We got a new roof in January and I don’t remember it smelling before that. We’ve only been in this house 2 years. Could I have a leak I don’t know about? I cannot find water anywhere. Can I figure this out or do I need to call someone.

Getting new windows in about a month if that might matter. (One window pane upstairs is broken - cracked)

1 hour ago, kmac30 said:

Our house had both ridge vent and turbines. W we just have ridge vent. Could this be the issue?

Both of those features are for exhaust.  If your house has ridge vents then it shouldn’t have turbines.   Don’t do both under normal circumstances.  

What kind of intake does your house have?  Soffit vents?  Gable end louvered vents?

Does the intake and exhaust ratio match up correctly?  Do you have intake?  

5 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Bottom floor has soffit vents, upstairs attic has perforated material at the gable ends (correct phrase?). How would the air intake lower?

It’s going to rain today. Where could I put a fan to increase airflow?

Cover the turbine holes.  They may be short circuiting the ridge vent holes so they don’t draft properly.  

Post a pic of “perforated” gable end vents 

Edited by deadshank