School hardening a simple solution for simpletons

Loco

• 2 months later...

Kids shot at a football game...  so much for chainlink fences, metal detectors, and other window dressing.

1 dead, 2 wounded   

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - One person was killed and two others were injured in a shooting Friday night at Raines High School, where a football game had just ended, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office.

The triple shooting happened about 10 p.m., about 15 minutes after the game between the Vikings and the Lee High School Generals ended at the school off Moncrief Road West in Northwest Jacksonville.

School District Police Director Michael Edwards said the shots were fired outside the stadium near the ticket gate, near the locker room, where officers had checked everyone entering the gates into the stadium with a metal detector. He said because there were more than 50 police officers at the game, there was an immediate response.

Police have not yet released the names and ages of the victims, but City Councilman Garrett Dennis said Duval County School Board members told him the person who died was a former Raines student and the two injured were Lee students.

"The bullets was going this way. Everybody was running," said Leroy Mobley, a Vietnam veteran who heard multiple gunshots as he was leaving the game. 

Witnesses said at least one person was seen being loaded into an ambulance.

JSO investigators said it is too soon to know if the gunman was among the 4,000 people who attended the game or not, but they were reviewing video as part of their investigation.

Dr. Diana Greene, superintendent of Duval County Public Schools, told reporters what happened was "unacceptable." ...

32 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Geez, I can remember when we got our buses rocked after a few games.  

A school we played back in the day, you couldn't take your helmet off the entire game or you'd get "rocked".  the coaches would get in the middle of the pack as we got off and back on the bus, and all stay in front of the players on the sideline. If you won you'd better get out quick.

1 kid with an AR-15 can wipe out all routine security measures. The fixated, suicidal, lone nut can identify weaknesses and vulnerabilities. As long as those types of weapons are available to civilians, you’d need to eliminate windows, have a secure perimeter and have SWAT units onsite.

The best use of resources is in communications and emergency management technology so schools can handle a wide variety of situations and be flexible enough to adjust.

Metal detectors, teachers with guns is all security theater that include their own risks and diversion of resources.

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Or raise kids who don’t shoot people...

fuck no. 

Depend upon the state. 

You sound like those chicks on Jezebel whose solution to the college rape deal is for us to tell our sons to STOP RAPING PEOPLE.

Yeah, it would be fucking great if they would, but it's a crime as old as time. As is murder. Sick dudes gon' rape, sick dudes gon' kill, and sick Americans are gonna take the path of least resistance when they want to kill and use a gun. 

By sensibly restricting gun rights, we have a chance at chipping away at the murder scenario. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

Prove it...

"sensible" restrictions of the press should work, right?

They do work. Try selling a magazine with a sexually prurient nude gay sex photo on the cover in a grocery store. Or, better yet, mail those magazines to school children. Government rightfully restricts verifiably dangerous and extreme press all the time.

5 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

They do work. Try selling a magazine with a sexually prurient nude gay sex photo on the cover in a grocery store. Or, better yet, mail those magazines to school children. Government rightfully restricts verifiably dangerous and extreme press all the time.

and guns are not sold there either, nor are they sold to small(or big) children.

And NONE of us ever had a Hustler or Playboy growing up.  Ever.

Edited by slorch

Hey numb nuts!   This isn't the gun control thread.

Stay on topic, this is the how laughably stupid the idea of "hardening schools" is

With back to school happening, I was pleased to find thick (expensive looking) aluminium security doors at the perimeter of my son's high school. 

Too bad the Security doors are only flanked by a 6' high garden variety chain-link fence.  To further add to the absurdity, this "Impenetrable" chain link fence is right in front of the student parking lot.  I'm sure a shooter wouldn't dare drive through it, that would be wrong!   Strolling further along, the entire fucking bus loop opens onto campus with out even a whiff of added security measures.   

The office at my daughter's school is kind of a bigger joke.  Now it is on the perimeter of the building (good) but once you are in the office, the doors out from it (to the school grounds) have the mandated panic/pushbars...  So just walk in, drill the secretary / security guard (who had a rascal scooter btw) and then walk right through the other door onto the school grounds.

How much fucking tax payer money is getting wasted?   It's gotta be a metric shit-ton and it's done absolutely NO good.

Edited by Loco

Hey numb nuts!   This isn't the gun control thread.
Stay on topic, this is the how laughably stupid the idea of "hardening schools" is

With back to school happening, I was pleased to find thick (expensive looking) aluminium security doors at the perimeter of my son's high school. 
Too bad the Security doors are only flanked by a 6' high garden variety chain-link fence.  To further add to the absurdity, this "Impenetrable" chain link fence is right in front of the student parking lot.  I'm sure a shooter wouldn't dare drive through it, that would be wrong!   Strolling further along, the entire fucking bus loop opens onto campus with out even a whiff of added security measures.   
The office at my daughter's school is kind of a bigger joke.  Now it is on the perimeter of the building (good) but once you are in the office, the doors out from it (to the school grounds) have the mandated panic/pushbars...  So just walk in, drill the secretary / security guard (who had a rascal scooter btw) and then walk right through the other door onto the school grounds.

How much fucking tax payer money is getting wasted?   It's gotta be a metric shit-ton and it's done absolutely NO good.

How do you know it’s done absolutely no good?

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

How do you know it’s done absolutely no good?

The school shooting this week...  any fucking moron could bypass the measures in place as many posters have pointed out, schools were not designed or built to be secure and retro fit is expensive and there isn't money or resources.

It's window dressing and if you can't see that, I can't help you.

The school shooting this week...  any fucking moron could bypass the measures in place as many posters have pointed out, schools were not designed or built to be secure and retro fit is expensive and there isn't money or resources.
It's window dressing and if you can't see that, I can't help you.

Schools would need to lose all ground floor windows and have SWAT in playgrounds, buses. More than one trained officer at all entrances, but one scary one would probably do.

These guys get bored, so they go around and arrest kids for things that used to be ISS.

School hardening is mostly window dressing. Only compounds will deter well-armed suicidal lone gunman. And then they no longer will be schools.

We also need to harden hotels, parking garages, overpasses and hills.

On 6/5/2018 at 8:20 AM, miguelito said:

NEISD here in SA announced that middle and high schoolers will need clear backpacks starting next year.  Of course, band cases, purses, and athletic bags are still OK. 

Same at our district. Band cases and athletic bags have to be dropped off in locker room or band hall before school. Not sure about purses.

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Your first words in this thread were “An attempt at discussion.”

You failed.

Me?   How about you bring up the measures that you have deemed to be reasonable and effective.  You know all those things that totally make sense and make schools safer.  Unlike you, I have mentioned one (active shooter drills).  I'm sorry that your chosen position is so weak that you're struggling to make valid points...

1 hour ago, Loco said:

... How about you bring up the measures that you have deemed to be reasonable and effective.  ...

There was a discussion on this topic happening within the Mass Shooting thread.  I posted some thoughts over there a while back:

http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/2292-mass-shootings/&do=findComment&comment=178743