Asshole in Great Hills killing deer with crossbow

Biff Tannen

In some of areas (of NY iirc), they tranquilize the bucks and physically castrate them. Very expensive and labor intensive, but less blowback from the neighborhood deer lovers, I guess.

This was occuring on Staten Island in 2016, the city started a $2 million effort to neuter Staten Island's male white-tailed deer population to potentially reduce the population by 10 to 30 percent. the city gave vasectomies to 78 fawns and 642 adults around the borough, a spokesman for the Parks Department said. Aside from the sterilization, the city is also using other non-lethal methods to deal with the animals including public education campaigns aimed at reducing car crashes and tick-borne illnesses. A 2014 aerial survey on parkland found 762 of the animals — up from just 24 in 2008. The most recent survey in 2016 for the entire borough found only 527 of the animals. 

I don't know if they kept at it as its costly and would probably take a decade to have a significant effect on Deer population. 

3 minutes ago, next2naus said:

This was occuring on Staten Island in 2016, the city started a $2 million effort to neuter Staten Island's male white-tailed deer population to potentially reduce the population by 10 to 30 percent. the city gave vasectomies to 78 fawns and 642 adults around the borough, a spokesman for the Parks Department said. Aside from the sterilization, the city is also using other non-lethal methods to deal with the animals including public education campaigns aimed at reducing car crashes and tick-borne illnesses. A 2014 aerial survey on parkland found 762 of the animals — up from just 24 in 2008. The most recent survey in 2016 for the entire borough found only 527 of the animals. 

I don't know if they kept at it as its costly and would probably take a decade to have a significant effect on Deer population. 

Your avatar suggests a much more efficient solution.

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

I tattooed a deer with my car once in Great Hills so this hits close to home.

Hit a few back in HS when I was dating a girl @ Westlake.  Learned to aim for the hindquarters and not the shoulder if you have time to swerve a little .  They kind of spin off the front of the truck vs absorbing center mass with the shoulder.  Had an old '88 F150 that was built like a tank and I'll be damned that it worked

On 1/26/2022 at 1:47 PM, kevwun said:

I know the Game Warden that is quoted in the story.  I wish he would end up on Lone Star Law.  He would definitely write an 8 year old a ticket for a fish that was a 1/16" too short and then probably break their fishing pole over his knee to teach them a lesson.

sounds like a real Jurk