Asshole in Great Hills killing deer with crossbow

Biff Tannen

1 minute ago, freyguy said:

city deer meat would taste god awful.

I was wondering about this and if it really would or not. How different is their diet in that neighborhood than what they'd eat out in the country? Assuming they aren't eating a bunch of trash racoon style. Which I've never seen. 

50 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

We need to somehow educate people about feeding, cull and sort this problem out. Hell, we now have coyotes roaming the streets during the day looking for a fucked up deer to eat.

Sounds like Mother Nature is trying to cull the herd herself. 

3 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wait, this thread isn't about armybrat deer hunting?

Edit: AB is not an asshole, but deer lovers might think that.

Edit2: I maybe confusing AB with somebody else that has a crossbow. I could swear he posted a photo of one not long ago.

I have never had a crossbow. Maybe you’re thinking of this weapon...

F5FCE80F-B566-4C55-95AA-52512EDEC62B.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I was wondering about this and if it really would or not. How different is their diet in that neighborhood than what they'd eat out in the country? Assuming they aren't eating a bunch of trash racoon style. Which I've never seen. 

They certainly wouldn't have been fed dewormer, black eyed beans and corn on consistent basis.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

I know the Game Warden that is quoted in the story.  I wish he would end up on Lone Star Law.  He would definitely write an 8 year old a ticket for a fish that was a 1/16" too short and then probably break their fishing pole over his knee to teach them a lesson.

Sounds like every single one I’ve ever met. I have followed game laws to the fucking T my entire life, and still have had considerably more discouraging interactions than not.  I’d rather be pulled over by any small town cop. Think on that for a minute. Irritating because I’m 100% behind them and they are under repped and over worked. I cringe when releasing gill hooked 14.75” trout, but laws the law. 

Lakeway has hired folk to cull deer. Always stirs up controversy. I thought they were using archers back when, but as I looked it up I learned they were (also) using nets, which was itself a big brouhaha.

I’ve never seen deer in number like on the King Ranch.

Edited by Willfully Horn
Edit

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Not any huntable land anywhere close to where this is happening.  Hunting is illegal in the city limits as far as I know, and these areas are miles from any city boundary.

There was a new law passed in like 2007 or sometime around then and City Limits hunting isn’t always illegal now.

Now, to your point, one of the requirements is that the land must have been annexed after 1981 so I am not sure how that applies to Great Hills area.

https://eparisextra.com/regional-news/hunting-inside-city-limits-know-before-you-go/

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Sounds like every single one I’ve ever met. I have followed game laws to the fucking T my entire life, and still have had considerably more discouraging interactions than not.  I’d rather be pulled over by any small town cop. Think on that for a minute. Irritating because I’m 100% behind them and they are under repped and over worked. I cringe when releasing gill hooked 14.75” trout, but laws the law. 

Unlike cops, I would say I generally like game wardens. 99% of all of the many interactions I've had with them have been fine if not pleasant. Most of those were duck hunting on public waters or coastal. But there have definitely been a few times the GW acted like an asshole, the lone Star Law GW was one of those. I didn't even know who he was on that show at the time.  And as someone said above, warnings and them cutting any slack is rare. Game Wardens normally operate very by the book, and I'm cool with that. Make sure you know what you're doing and the rules and regulations pertaining to the location and type of hunting you're doing and you won't have a problem. 

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

There was a new law passed in like 2007 or sometime around then and City Limits hunting isn’t always illegal now.

Now, to your point, one of the requirements is that the land must have been annexed after 1981 so I am not sure how that applies to Great Hills area.

https://eparisextra.com/regional-news/hunting-inside-city-limits-know-before-you-go/

Our public servant, Lloyd Doggett owns or owned (haven't checked public records lately) a bunch of that undeveloped land along Spicewood Springs Road between the Great Hills neighborhood and the warbler habitat.  Not sure about if all/any of that has been annexed by COA.

Just now, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Unlike cops, I would say I generally like game wardens. 99% of all of the many interactions I've had with them have been fine if not pleasant. Most of those were duck hunting on public waters or coastal. But there have definitely been a few times the GW acted like an asshole, the lone Star Law GW was one of those. I didn't even know who he was on that show at the time.  And as someone said above, warnings and them cutting any slack is rare. Game Wardens normally operate very by the book, and I'm cool with that. Make sure you know what you're doing and the rules and regulations pertaining to the location and type of hunting you're doing and you won't have a problem. 

My only hunting experience is deer/turkey on big leases in Central/West Texas.  We have always made a point to reach out to our GW before hunting season and let them know that our camp is always open for a steak dinner or whatever we happen to be serving that night.  No issues, at all.

33 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

My only hunting experience is deer/turkey on big leases in Central/West Texas.  We have always made a point to reach out to our GW before hunting season and let them know that our camp is always open for a steak dinner or whatever we happen to be serving that night.  No issues, at all.

I'll leave it alone but I can say I've had some interactions with police, never any issues (unless I was in the wrong).  The wardens always seem pissed like they didn't get you on something.  Dunno.  I've never had an infraction, up on my laws, hell I keep one of the books in my hunting bag at all times.  I don't even keep fish anymore.  One even scolded me once for the location of my extinguisher on the boat.  I didn't point it out, but his was in the IDENTICAL location. Whatever, yes sir, yes sir, thank you sir, catch you next time. 

I recall there was a homeless person in Austin busted for bludgeoning turtles to death along Town Lake with a hammer and eating them. Many people were outraged (morally) but in the end he got dinged on a minor game law. Not the Hammer part, the taking of the King's game. So anyway - I'm not totally discounting the kill to eat angle.

20 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

I've killed hundreds of deer with various rifles and never wounded one. 

When I was 19, I did a deer in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at... Well, see you tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Our public servant, Lloyd Doggett owns or owned (haven't checked public records lately) a bunch of that undeveloped land along Spicewood Springs Road between the Great Hills neighborhood and the warbler habitat.  Not sure about if all/any of that has been annexed by COA.

Much of that land has not been annexed, and yes you can still bow hunt some of it (with permission from property owners).  I'm surprised how many people who live in this area don't know this.  However, based on the images of these deer it doesn't look like experienced bow hunters doing this.  My money is on teenagers.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Much of that land has not been annexed, and yes you can still bow hunt some of it (with permission from property owners).  I'm surprised how many people who live in this area don't know this.  However, based on the images of these deer it doesn't look like experienced bow hunters doing this.  My money is on teenagers.

I truly did not know that.  Interesting.  There's some pretty property down in that valley.

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Our public servant, Lloyd Doggett owns or owned (haven't checked public records lately) a bunch of that undeveloped land along Spicewood Springs Road between the Great Hills neighborhood and the warbler habitat. 

Looks like we have a suspect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I'll leave it alone but I can say I've had some interactions with police, never any issues (unless I was in the wrong).  The wardens always seem pissed like they didn't get you on something.  Dunno.  I've never had an infraction, up on my laws, hell I keep one of the books in my hunting bag at all times.  I don't even keep fish anymore.  One even scolded me once for the location of my extinguisher on the boat.  I didn't point it out, but his was in the IDENTICAL location. Whatever, yes sir, yes sir, thank you sir, catch you next time. 

I've had mixed experiences with Game Wardens, but I will say MOST of the time my experience on the water with them has been good, while MOST of my experiences with them in the field have been bad. Maybe they feel the need to project their authority more when there are guns around, IDK.  

3 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've had mixed experiences with Game Wardens, but I will say MOST of the time my experience on the water with them has been good, while MOST of my experiences with them in the field have been bad. Maybe they feel the need to project their authority more when there are guns around, IDK.  

And I get it, they've got a dangerous job sometimes.  I've had better experiences on the water, but not all great.  They have an all too common just pull up on you fishing when they used to wait till you were gathered back at the boat, just getting underway etc.  I am very big on respecting our natural resources, but seems like they could do more good in that regard just hanging at the dock, or taking a walk down the jetties every now and again.  When I was bound to the jetties as a child, I still remember sooo many baby trout and reds in those 5 gallon buckets.  I don't watch the show too often, but am happy they tend to get the drunks off the water on the lakes.  That seems to be an issue in some places.  I don't have any ill will with them, but I do wish I had more positive experiences. 

Again, this is most likely NOT a legal hunting issue. Arrowed and darted deer in that area have been walking around those neighborhoods in and out of legal hunting season for a couple of years. If it were legal hunting, the news of arrowed deer walking around people's front yards would prob make any self respecting hunter and land owner cease hunting on the properties.

It's prob a combination of deranged, sadistic dudes, or the homeless trying to kill a deer to eat, maybe both.

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

And I get it, they've got a dangerous job sometimes.  I've had better experiences on the water, but not all great.  They have an all too common just pull up on you fishing when they used to wait till you were gathered back at the boat, just getting underway etc.  I am very big on respecting our natural resources, but seems like they could do more good in that regard just hanging at the dock, or taking a walk down the jetties every now and again.  When I was bound to the jetties as a child, I still remember sooo many baby trout and reds in those 5 gallon buckets.  I don't watch the show too often, but am happy they tend to get the drunks off the water on the lakes.  That seems to be an issue in some places.  I don't have any ill will with them, but I do wish I had more positive experiences. 

Yea no shit. I sometimes see them boat around Seadrift, POC areas stopping boats. Most people who spend tons of money with boat fishing will pay the $40 or whatever bucks to buy a license and will follow guidelines for length and bag limits. If they really want to stop poaching and illegal fishing, hit up the walk up, drive up fishing places. There's where the majority of the illegal shit is going to happen. I hardly hear or see GWs on jetties or shorelines. Guess it's not as much fun as cruising around the bay in a nice boat.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Homeless people armed with crossbows is kind of an unsettling idea.  It gives aggressive panhandling a whole new look 

many of the homeless are younger. some are vets. buying and using crossbows is easy as shit. you don't even need to be good shots, as evidenced by the injured deer walking around neighborhoods. 

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

many of the homeless are younger. some are vets. buying and using crossbows is easy as shit. you don't even need to be good shots, as evidenced by the injured deer walking around neighborhoods. 

Pardon me, young feller, but if they was good shots the deer wouldn’t be walking around all injured and such. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

And if they're homeless, the City probably buys them for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Bravo said:

fuckers on lake travis would pull me over all the time to do a "water safety check" and they would fuck up the good times. give me tickets for a not properly charged fire extinguisher or having a square flotation device. sorry for partying.

I was fishing on Inks once in high school and a couple of girls with us wanted to lay out and tan on the back of the boat while we fished. Got stopped for a water safety check twice by the same Game Warden in the span of an hour. Lulz. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

I was fishing on Inks once in high school and a couple of girls with us wanted to lay out and tan on the back of the boat while we fished. Got stopped for a water safety check twice by the same Game Warden in the span of an hour. Lulz. 

checking to see if you had any illegal tuna. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Lakeway has hired folk to cull deer. Always stirs up controversy. I thought they were using archers back when, but as I looked it up I learned they were (also) using nets, which was itself a big brouhaha.

I’ve never seen deer in number like on the King Ranch.

This is all the rage in my subdivision up by Granbury. We have several thousand on 4700 acres in a river bend. 1200 head need to be taken a year just to maintain a healthy population. I have 6 acres in the bend, but not in the HOA. I have had friends come and take about 30 deer during this year's season, including the local game wardens.

You have the totally unreasonable that want no deer taken. The somewhat unreasonable that don't want netting. And the reasonable that want them all taken by any reasonable humane way possible. Nextdoor is rife with drama, the "I was near a net, when it dropped, and heard the poor deer crying out in pain and terror." and "my daughter saw deer fighting for their lives, and said it will scar her for the rest of her life" crowd get laughed at, and made fun of, which they should. 

Overpopulations of deer end up with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), and Anthrax, which they spread to each other and to other species through eating after each other, and drinking from common watering spots. Anthrax can also be spread to humans through contact with an uncooked carcass or meat. We had a bulletin sent to us this year by the ranch foreman on our lease to not touch any dead deer carcass we came across that showed no bullet hole as there had been several cases of Anthrax found in King county.

CHIEF 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I recall there was a homeless person in Austin busted for bludgeoning turtles to death along Town Lake with a hammer and eating them. Many people were outraged (morally) but in the end he got dinged on a minor game law. Not the Hammer part, the taking of the King's game. So anyway - I'm not totally discounting the kill to eat angle.

I remember hearing about this but I don't recall the bum eating them. I thought he was just hammering the turtles to hammer the turtles. Sort of what a deranged homeless guy would do for grins. 

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

I remember hearing about this but I don't recall the bum eating them. I thought he was just hammering the turtles to hammer the turtles. Sort of what a deranged homeless guy would do for grins. 

Hammered the wrong turtle.

tom-herman-UT.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5

43 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

This is all the rage in my subdivision up by Granbury. We have several thousand on 4700 acres in a river bend. 1200 head need to be taken a year just to maintain a healthy population. I have 6 acres in the bend, but not in the HOA. I have had friends come and take about 30 deer during this year's season, including the local game wardens.

You have the totally unreasonable that want no deer taken. The somewhat unreasonable that don't want netting. And the reasonable that want them all taken by any reasonable humane way possible. Nextdoor is rife with drama, the "I was near a net, when it dropped, and heard the poor deer crying out in pain and terror." and "my daughter saw deer fighting for their lives, and said it will scar her for the rest of her life" crowd get laughed at, and made fun of, which they should. 

Overpopulations of deer end up with Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), and Anthrax, which they spread to each other and to other species through eating after each other, and drinking from common watering spots. Anthrax can also be spread to humans through contact with an uncooked carcass or meat. We had a bulletin sent to us this year by the ranch foreman on our lease to not touch any dead deer carcass we came across that showed no bullet hole as there had been several cases of Anthrax found in King county.

CHIEF 

All of this, not to mention the absolute devastation they cause to the natural flora. Many parkland "forests" or forested grasslands are dead and just don't know it yet, because any saplings aren't going to survive to replace the older trees because the saplings get stripped by hordes of cockroaches deer.

Plus the deer drive my dogs batshit when they come right up to fence and DGAF about the barking. And then the barking drives me batshit. And then I get my crossbow and.... wait, what?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

All of this, not to mention the absolute devastation they cause to the natural flora. Many parkland "forests" or forested grasslands are dead and just don't know it yet, because any saplings aren't going to survive to replace the older trees because the saplings get stripped by hordes of cockroaches deer.

Plus the deer drive my dogs batshit when they come right up to fence and DGAF about the barking. And then the barking drives me batshit. And then I get my crossbow and.... wait, what?

I spoke with one of the game wardens before season. I asked him should we use a bow, or rifle. He asked if I had "a hundred yard gun". I told him my son had a .450 Bushmaster. He told me to leave it in the blind, and always shoot towards the river. He said with a bow, you never know whose yard they may die in, they may not let you take it, and it would just sit and rot. The .450 was what he killed the two deer with when he used the blind.

CHIEF

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

In college, my best friend had a whole rant about how he didn't understand hungry homeless people.  He said "shit, I'd panhandle my first $10 then go to Academy and buy a slingshot.  After that, every night.....pigeon on a stick, pigeon pie, sauteed pigeon, braised pigeon....."

9 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In some of areas (of NY iirc), they tranquilize the bucks and physically castrate them. Very expensive and labor intensive, but less blowback from the neighborhood deer lovers, I guess.

6 minutes ago, Bravo said:

That's regarded. nuts.

FIF testicle joke.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

In some of areas (of NY iirc), they tranquilize the bucks and physically castrate them. Very expensive and labor intensive, but less blowback from the neighborhood deer lovers, I guess.

They should have a policy of castrating their governors.

29 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Waste of time and money.  Only way to control population is by shooting females (or sterilizing).

• Hook 'Em 1