Utah Democrats officially support Independent candidate McMullin for U.S. Senate against Mike Lee

Orale

I don't know how much of a chance this gives him, but it's a pretty cool example of country over party by Utah Democrats. Hopefully there's enough independents and never-Trump Republicans to get him past Lee. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I don’t see how he takes enough democrats to win, as it seems he needs all of them plus some never-trumpers that got minted in the last 5 years. 

He ran as an independent in 2016.

In 2017, he was polling ahead of Orrin Hatch (before Hatch decided not to run for re-election in 2018), even though he had already bailed on the GOP/ran as an independent the year before, and he endorsed Romney once he saw that Romney was entering that race (he was savvy enough not to take on Romney).

He served his country well in the War on Terror, he's a Mormon, he's got a big family (granted he married a widow, but it's a good story if you're a Mormon), and he didn't pimp himself out to Trump like Mike Lee.

It's Utah.  Mike Lee is sweating bullets over this one, and it's going to soak up a lot of Republican money.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Just looked and he got 21.5% in 2016. 

he and Hillary combined got less than 50%. 

I don’t see how he takes enough democrats to win, as it seems he needs all of them plus some never-trumpers that got minted in the last 5 years. 

I thought I read the dem candidate is withdrawing and endorsing him is that not correct?

23 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

He ran as an independent in 2016.

In 2017, he was polling ahead of Orrin Hatch (before Hatch decided not to run for re-election in 2018), even though he had already bailed on the GOP/ran as an independent the year before, and he endorsed Romney once he saw that Romney was entering that race (he was savvy enough not to take on Romney).

He served his country well in the War on Terror, he's a Mormon, he's got a big family (granted he married a widow, but it's a good story if you're a Mormon), and he didn't pimp himself out to Trump like Mike Lee.

It's Utah.  Mike Lee is sweating bullets over this one, and it's going to soak up a lot of Republican money.

We're talking about fucking Utah here.  Trump got 350K MORE votes in 2020 from Utah than he did in 2016.

Also:

image.png.ccb42091f7b39eced5dac25d3790458d.png

Edited by Beau Vine