Jump to content

Liverpool FC 2022-2023: And Now Jurgen Believe Us


maninblack
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Last year was amazing but was long as fuck. The squad will get very little reprieve as the season starts at the beginning of August with a stupid World Cup parked in November/December. And just for added insanity there's another AFCON next summer.

The club have a ton of work to do in a short amount of time. It looks like a lot of players could go this summer and if we're planning on competing on 4 fronts again then we'll definitely need reinforcements. Below is the roster as of today. Let's get it started: 

“Jurgen said to me, you know. We'll win the Premier League, you know. He said so.

“I'm in love with him and I feel fine.

“I'm so glad that Jurgen is a Red.

“I'm so glad he delivered what he said."

Position Main Position Player Age Contract Summer
Attacker CF Sadio Mané 30 2023
Attacker CF Roberto Firmino 30 2023
Attacker LW Luis Diaz 25 2027
Attacker LW Diogo Jota 25 2025
Attacker RW Takumi Minamino 27 2024
Attacker RW Mohamed Salah 29 2023
Defender CB Virgil van Dijk 30 2025
Defender CB Ibrahima Konate 23 2026
Defender CB Joe Gomez 24 2024
Defender CB Joel Matip 30 2024
Defender GK Alisson Becker 29 2027
Defender GK Caoimhin Kelleher 23 2026
Defender GK Adrian 35 2022
Defender LB Andrew Robertson 28 2026
Defender LB Konstantinos Tsimikas 26 2025
Defender RB Trent Alexander-Arnold 23 2025
Midfielder AM Harvey Elliott 19 2023
Midfielder AM Ox 28 2023
Midfielder CM Naby Keïta 27 2023
Midfielder CM Thiago 31 2024
Midfielder CM Curtis Jones 21 2025
Midfielder CM Jordan Henderson 31 2025
Midfielder CM James Milner 36 2022
Midfielder DM Fabinho 28 2026
Edited by maninblack
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Outs

Origi is heading to Milan. Mané is almost certainly on his way to Munich. Taki? I think he sticks around and fights for more minutes but I wouldn't be surprised if he wanted a move abroad.

I also would not be terribly surprised to see us sell Gomez. Great player, when healthy, and he's filled in admirably for Trent, but I think a more like-for-like backup RB will be one of our moves this summer. Gomez deserves first team football and he's our fourth-choice CB at the moment, which has to be frustrating as hell. I don't know what kind of fee we'd ask but he's one of England's most promising young defenders and if Arsenal paid £50M for Ben White, Gomez has to be worth at least £60M. Obviously we won't get that kind of money for him but if the price is right I don't think we block a move.

Don't know what's going on with Adrian but I'm not terribly concerned with our third-string keeper. 

I thought I heard Milner was about to sign a one-year extension.

Ins   

Mané has to be replaced, and someone needs to soak up those Origi minutes. Carvalho is in and he looks the part, though it's a lot to ask of him to step up into our first team.

I would love Jarrod Bowen but he's going to cost like £75M due to the English/PL tax and I don't see us paying that. Lots of promising attackers in Portugal right now, a league that Julian Ward has led the scouting on for years, and Darwin Nunez is the dream. Could see us splashing the cash on him over Bowen but he's less versatile than our usual attacking profile.

Lots of chatter that we'll bring in Calvin Ramsay as Trent's back-up. Based solely on YouTube clips, he looks very much in the mold of an attacking full back. Pretty wicked left boot on him too.

Looks like we missed on Tchouameni but PSV sources are saying that we're going to sign Ibrahim Sangaré, who sounds somewhere between Yaya Toure and Fabinho, in terms of playing style. We desperately need cover for Fabinho so this would be fantastic.

Anything else I'm missing?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why not us?

Sad that Sadio is leaving but I always saw it as the most likely defection. Excited to see mor Diaz. I believe in Jurgen. I believe he’ll find a great replacement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Need Bayern to up their bid for Sadio if we want him. That would break the transfer fee record for the club. 

Edit: the club rejected Bayern's 2nd offer. I know Sadio's getting up there in age but that's a laughable number for a guy who's going to score you a lot of goals. 

 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So potentially go from:

 

Mane/Firmino/Salah/Jota

to

Nunez/Salah/Diaz/Jota/Firmino

 

You NEVER know how things work, but the process of getting younger seems ok in my book.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, pied06 said:

Interesting thoughts from Gutmann. 
 

 

I hope he's right on the upgrade part because without Mane, a lot of the 2nd half would've been pretty awful given Mo's goal drought. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right. I'm not arguing we should've kept Mane given his age. I'm just hoping Nunez can fill the scoring void not having Mane will leave. I'm hopeful year 2 of Diaz under Klopp will be even better. Mo I still want to keep but that's more because he's my favorite player and I'm stupidly selfish. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I hope he's right on the upgrade part because without Mane, a lot of the 2nd half would've been pretty awful given Mo's goal drought. 

 

 

Don't disagree or necessarily agree with him.  

 

I remember when Mane was going through a dry spell.  Previous season I think.  It happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, pied06 said:

 

 

Don't disagree or necessarily agree with him.  

 

I remember when Mane was going through a dry spell.  Previous season I think.  It happens.

Oh definitely. Post AFCON Mane was about the best he's ever been. Pre AFCON was not doing well. It's like he and Mo traded places at AFCON. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Sell him to Fulham since they sold us Carvalho. 

Not a bad shout. Would probably do really well there, though I'd kinda be surprised if we got that kinda fee from Fulham.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man the club really looking strong in the market again. Think we have to get a midfielder that can play Hendo’s role with more athleticism but I don’t see many other holes that need to be plugged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Man the club really looking strong in the market again. Think we have to get a midfielder that can play Hendo’s role with more athleticism but I don’t see many other holes that need to be plugged.

We need someone to spell Fabinho and Trent, though Ramsay looks to be almost done and that will take care of the latter. The fact that we were in for Tchouameni means we're almost certainly signing a #8 and there were a few rumors last week about Ibrahim Sangaré being that guy. PSV fans rave about him and said he's been their most important player.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

We need someone to spell Fabinho and Trent, though Ramsay looks to be almost done and that will take care of the latter. The fact that we were in for Tchouameni means we're almost certainly signing a #8 and there were a few rumors last week about Ibrahim Sangaré being that guy. PSV fans rave about him and said he's been their most important player.

 

Sangare would be perfect as he can play both the Fabs and Hendo roles

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What do we think of him? I’ve seen some comps to more big physical strikers and also to guys like Torres. From the clips I’ve seen he almost seems more like Bobby. Not as tricky it seems but looks like he makes interesting runs that stretch defenses and scores most of his goal through positioning. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

What do we think of him? I’ve seen some comps to more big physical strikers and also to guys like Torres. From the clips I’ve seen he almost seems more like Bobby. Not as tricky it seems but looks like he makes interesting runs that stretch defenses and scores most of his goal through positioning. 


 

I’m not really sure and think we get lost sometimes trying to figure out who they look like or what role they replace. I think him and Diaz totally change our look and tactics. Can only hope they’re as successful as Mo/Sadio/Bobby and think they have a good chance to be. 
 

Hate losing Sadio, but thinking of Mo/Diaz/Nunez/Jota/Booby adding in Harvey and Carvahlo has me excited. 
 

 

 

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pied06 said:

I think him and Diaz totally change our look and tactics.

I agree with this. We'll see but this feels like a new evolution in the Klopp era. Nunez profiles differently then anyone Klopp's had before which means our build-up play will likely adjust. I can see us using more 4 attacker sets this season. We need another starting level center/attacking mid this window imo. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen some thought that Mo might move back to his Roma position on the right side and Nunez takes the middle since he's not great at assists. Jota needs to reclaim some form because that's an f'ing lethal combo of Diaz/Nunez/Mo and Jota off the bench. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I've seen some thought that Mo might move back to his Roma position on the right side and Nunez takes the middle since he's not great at assists. Jota needs to reclaim some form because that's an f'ing lethal combo of Diaz/Nunez/Mo and Jota off the bench. 


I think we’ll use Nunez in the middle because he’s a huge, fast natural goal scorer. But his passing/chance creating isn’t bad, it’s just not Benfica used him. I believe the talent is there if we want to develop him into more of a playmaker. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:


I think we’ll use Nunez in the middle because he’s a huge, fast natural goal scorer. But his passing/chance creating isn’t bad, it’s just not Benfica used him. I believe the talent is there if we want to develop him into more of a playmaker. 

Yeah, in 20-21 he played more of a playmaker role for Benfica and racked up 10 assists. Hard to pin down a comp for him tbh, though I do think Torres is the closest one for me.

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...