Dungeons & Dragons 2023

Buzzrock

I watched this last night on Paramount+ and I wasn't expecting the movie to as good as it was. The storyline was solid and the movie avoided a lot of expected tropes. The co-parenting arrangement turned out to be a lot more deep than I expected.

A lot of funny scenes like fat dragon, dead questions, owl bear over kill, the Paladin walking in NPC mode, etc...

Edited by F250
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just watched it myself. Ending felt contrived to me, but I had such a good time otherwise, I'll give it a pass. Great story, great acting, flawless pacing. It's about time someone did D&D right.

Of course there's been a good decade of successful podcasts to show what good D&D based entertainment needs to be like, plus Hasbro has a good bit of experience with turning toys into successful TV/Movie media.

my little pony GIF

Bonus points to anyone who recognized the cast's co-participants in the maze at the end.

Edited by Rimbo
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Just watched it myself. Ending felt contrived to me, but I had such a good time otherwise, I'll give it a pass. Great story, great acting, flawless pacing. It's about time someone did D&D right.

Of course there's been a good decade of successful podcasts to show what good D&D based entertainment needs to be like, plus Hasbro has a good bit of experience with turning toys into successful TV/Movie media.

my little pony GIF

Bonus points to anyone who recognized the cast's co-participants in the maze at the end.

Yep.  I def pulled an 80's cartoon, fanboi yelp.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Good flick. Loved the call back to the '80s cartoon. I'd like to see the sequel touch on that. Maybe even make Venger the big villan.

No. Please, no.

I'm sorry, but that cartoon was terrible. We don't need more of it and don't WANT more of it. It made the 2000 movie seem good by comparison.

2 hours ago, Rimbo said:

No. Please, no.

I'm sorry, but that cartoon was terrible. We don't need more of it and don't WANT more of it. It made the 2000 movie seem good by comparison.

Yes. Please. Yes.

That cartoon was great. It's 40 years old this year, and it's still held in high regard. IMDB currently has it as an 8/10 and Rotten Tomatoes has it at 75%. 

Not every episode was great, but there are a few that were amazing and pushed the envelope back in the'80s when D&D wasn't getting great press. 

There's also been a recent revival with action figures for the old cartoon being released this year. I think it's thought of better than you give it credit for. 

• Hook 'Em 1