Political Cartoons - The Politics Thread.

ROFL BOX

Ok, that's what I was kind of wondering.  I agree with all except number 4.  Not that they don't need funding, but that adding more would just exacerbate the funding problem.  Also, the reason there's a certain cachet that comes with a National Park designation is because National Park status is supposed to be rare.  It's supposed to represent the best of what we have.
We just designated a new park last year, New River Gorge, which is beautiful, but was getting plenty of visitation when it was just a National River and Preserve.  Isle Royale gets the fewest visitors of any park.  Congaree, which is on the east coast and near a ton of major population centers, gets very few as well.  I guess my point is that I don't think creating more parks will draw people away from the gems that are overcrowded, as that cartoon seems to suggest.
Don't get me wrong, I'm probably a bigger advocate for National Parks than anyone on this board, but it seems to me that parks being crowded isn't because there aren't enough parks to go around.
I think the cartoon was suggesting that our public wild spaces are overcrowded and maybe we should have more places for people to visit regardless of designations as NP, WA etc. It's a fair point to recognize the need, but substantive change-not happening

On 9/15/2021 at 12:00 PM, brakeman said:

What biting and subtle commentary.   I’ve got a great idea for a cartoon like this. Two kids playing football with each other. One says to the other I don’t think the independence party in Botswana is going to achieve majority rule under the current slate of candidates. And the other one while running a hook route says that’s due to loss of support in the eastern part of the country especially with 18 to 29-year-olds.